Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Phone home program ?

Phone home program ?
bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 02:09 PM

I was hoping the firewall feature would have been address with the new update but it wasn't. I like how it was implemented in tiger to have more control on ports and such. With programs like little snitch and one from subrosa (can't remember the name), is there a program that give better control of ports and watching what programs phone home? I stink at using terminal but if there are settings that can be accomplished using terminal then I'll learn it real quick. Otherwise, what do you recommend as a real good program that gives better control? I don't trust the firewall settings in leopard at all.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 02:21 PM

You mentioned Little Snitch. It does a good job AFAIK. Are you looking for some other functionality?

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 10:06 PM

I was reading the forum on little snitch and I guess little snitch isn't catching all programs phoning home. I am looking for something that catches all programs doing this. The software from subrosasoft called filedefense looks good but I want to research it a bit more before I buy it. Anyone ever use this?
( Last edited by bearcatrp; Feb 12, 2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: added a line)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I was reading the forum on little snitch and I guess little snitch isn't catching all programs phoning home. I am looking for something that catches all programs doing this. The software from subrosasoft called filedefense looks good but I want to research it a bit more before I buy it. Anyone ever use this?
I have been using Little Snitch for a long time, but never noticed something that Little Snitch would be missing.

What's your source saying LS is missing some items phoning home ?
What kind of "phoning home" will go around LS ?

-t

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 09:40 AM

Check out this forum on little snitches web site... Objective Development :: View topic - Little Snitch Being Bypassed By Developers? . Seems little snitch does miss a few. From what I have read, looks like some programs intentionally bypass programs like little snitch. I don't have a problem with a 1 time registration to insure I have a legal copy, my problem is the continuous phoning home.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 11:03 AM

Also, just for clarification (sorry to nitpick): you don't "learn Terminal". Terminal is an extremely simple application, there is not much to learn there. What you meant was learn the Unix environment.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Check out this forum on little snitches web site... Objective Development :: View topic - Little Snitch Being Bypassed By Developers? . Seems little snitch does miss a few. From what I have read, looks like some programs intentionally bypass programs like little snitch. I don't have a problem with a 1 time registration to insure I have a legal copy, my problem is the continuous phoning home.
I'm not sure how these different ways of circumventing LS exactly work.

One of them, scripting a web browser, is a pretty low level method though. And, of course, LS can hardly catch that. The scriptability of progams is an inherent security risk.

The "Imagewell" phone home software mentioned in the link doesn't really seem to phone home. See here:

MacUpdate: ImageWell Reviews

So, LS is NOT circumvented.

-t

Madrag
Senior User
Feb 14, 2008, 07:36 AM

^ nice keywords rekha, you're a very bad spammer.

<And a deleted spammer too! Glenn>
( Last edited by ghporter; Feb 14, 2008 at 08:52 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules