Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hard drive crash

Hard drive crash
bearcatrp
Senior User
May 23, 2008, 09:07 AM

Looking for some suggestions. My maxtor drive dies last night while editing video. I was importing into iMovie 6. Wasn't paying attention to free space and got to around 10 gig and got a warning of low space. Stopped the import and started moving different video files to another drive. I was moving a 52gb file when I started getting lockups on my mac pro. Thankfully I have a cloned disk (internal) and fired up off of that. Opened disk utility to see if I could do a system check. Wouldn't load any disks (I have 4 internal). Removed the bad drive and everything works normally. When the drive was in, I also did a "about this mac" and it did see the drive but the smart status showed not supported. I shook the drive and everything sounds normal (no rattling).
Did this crash due to maxing out space?
Since I have important files still on it and not backed up, best method for recovering?
This drive is less than a year old. Is maxtor prone to crashes?
Thanks in advanced for the help.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
May 23, 2008, 11:22 AM

This is weird. This morning, I put the disk back in my mac pro but moved it to slot 4 and put my backup leopard to slot 1. Booted on my backup and the disk is back. Checked the smart status and showing good lick no problems. I am moving files off of it and deleting to get more free space. Haven't run disk utilities yet until I get my files off. Was thinking of wiping clean and clone my backup back on it but not sure if I want to trust it. Suggestions?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2008, 03:56 PM

Don't trust it, hope that it fails completely soon so you can return it for a replacement.

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
May 23, 2008, 05:07 PM

Not long after posting, my backup drive I was using did the same thing. Now am thinking hardware problem. Seems to do this when it get warm. Ran apple hardware test but nothing showed up as problematic. When its first fired up (cold), runs fine but when it warms up it start acting up. Beats me. Just hoping its not a logic board problem. Warrant expired 2 months ago.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2008, 05:39 PM

Could be a bad joint somewhere and as it heats up, expands and so fails.

Forum Links
Forum Rules