Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network and iTunes

Network and iTunes
bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 18, 2008, 10:26 AM

Here is what I am thinking of doing but need you networking guru's advice to make sure I am doing this right.
Am getting a apple tv. I have a mac pro and a 24 inch imac in the bedroom and the 50 inch tv in the living room. I use my imac to watch movies in bed using front row. I am thinking moving my itunes library to the pro, do a direct connect (ethernet) between them and use the pro for streaming my videos to the tv and (if possible) watch my movies on my imac. 1) Can I get front row to access the pro for the movies throught ethernet to my imac or will I have to stream it from the pro throught the apple tv back to my imac?
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Jan 18, 2008, 11:49 AM

Been looking on apple's web site. Read conflicting info on this. One part says yes and another says no. I'll just give it a shot and see what happens. If anyone know a better way, please feel free to chime in. tnks
Randy

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Jan 18, 2008, 01:40 PM

I got it working. Sweet. I do have a delema though, I don't have a wireless card installed on the mac pro. Instead of buying one and installing it, will a USB one work with apple tv or would it be better to install a apple card? Plan on moving my entire library to my pro since I leave it on all the time for crunching grid stuff. I'll check whats out there but if someone out there is using a USB wireless modual, let me know how well or bad it works. I'll post in the hardware section.
Randy
( Last edited by bearcatrp; Jan 18, 2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added a line)

Forum Links
Forum Rules