Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac pro problems

Mac pro problems
bearcatrp
Senior User
Jun 19, 2008, 09:42 AM

I have a 2ghz mac pro. What I thought was a hard drive problem seems to be a heat issue problem. Had another freeze up using super duper. My temp at time of freeze up was 115F. Have had this freeze up after hour of video editing too. Didn't think 115F was all that high. I couldn't even boot off a disc. Left it off all night, fired right up with no problems this morning. Have posted about this before and was suggested possible crack in motherboard and when it heats up the board expands but don't think this is it. Are there any know issues with mac pros prior to the last refresh? I do use smc fancontrol but didn't have the fans cranked up when doing a backup yesterday. Suggestions? Am using the latest updates for leopard.
( Last edited by bearcatrp; Jun 19, 2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added a line)
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2008, 03:05 PM

You didn't specify where the temperature is from in your desktop (cpu, hard drive, gpu, etc).
115F isn't that high at all for a processor, but that is a bit high for a hard drive in my opinion/experience. My G4 hard drive ran around 90F in an un-airconditioned apartment in August.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2008, 03:23 PM

Is it on a desk, or somewhere raised so air can circulate under and around it? Run any fans on it? My MBP can get hot though not that bad while running WoW. I have an iCurve (or w/e the name is now) and I run a fan at the bottom as well. Drops the temp 10-15 degrees C.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Jun 20, 2008, 08:10 AM

Its on the floor in the bedroom. That temp is processor A. forgot to mention this happens after waking from sleep mode. Processor B is usually 10 degrees higher. I have read about sleep issues with newer macpros. If I shut down for a bit then start up, all works well. All hardware test checks ok. Picked up disk warrior and ran checks with no problems. Sucks having to shut down all the time but starting to think it has something to do with the sleep mode.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2008, 08:49 AM

If the computer is freezing while waking up from sleep mode, often times it is a peripheral like a usb hub or an external hard drive causing the mishap. Trying letting it sleep without any non-keyboard peripheral, see if that clears it up.

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Jun 22, 2008, 11:04 AM

It doesn't freeze when waking up. Just seems if I use the mac pro after waking from a sleep vs just starting up, I see many problems in regards to performance and software lockups.

Forum Links
Forum Rules