Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Mac pro and Ubuntu

Mac pro and Ubuntu
bearcatrp
Senior User
Aug 27, 2008, 08:51 PM

Anyone using Ubuntu (pure, not VM) on a mac pro? Looking for information on performance. Tnks
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 10:35 PM

Performance at what?
Is there any reason to believe the performance you're concerned about is going to be different on a Mac Pro with Ubuntu than a dual Xeon running any other distro?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 08:27 AM

Are you looking for anecdotal type feedback (e.g. performance is excellent), or actual benchmarks? If you are looking for as much performance as possible, would running a lighter weight window manager be an option? There should be lots of benchmarks for dual Xeons out there, like mduell said. As far as more anecdotal type feedback, Linux in general feels more responsive than OS X/Aqua for me. This is probably why Apple is working on Snow Leopard.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2008, 09:21 AM

Anecdotally, I think the performance is excellent on my Mac Pro. I don't use it that often, but it feels faster than RHEL 5 on my work machine (a Dell Optiplex).

I don't have any real benchmarks though. I use OS X 80% of the time.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Aug 28, 2008, 01:22 PM

I have used fedora and suse on pc architecture. Even used yellowdog on a g4 laptop. But haven't messed with intel macs yet. Most folks I talk to about linux state ubuntu is one of the best to use. Not ever using ubuntu, thought I would start asking mac foilks who have tried it or still using it. Been reading the ubuntu forums but don't see to many posts about mac pro's, mostly imacs, powerbooks and mini's so makes me wonder if there is a better distro than ubunto to run on a mac pro. As far as performance, am looking for just a solid running OS with the smallest problems. Leopard works good but think it was released to soon. Not fond of the security options in leopard. At least in tiger I had better control. I usually wait unti the 5th update comes out before upgrading the OS but jumped on leopard right away from listening to the hype. My pro ran flawlessly on tiger, but leopard is still to buggy. No OS is perfect but paying for buggy OS's is getting old. Seems the bigger apple gets, the sloppier they get.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Forum Links
Forum Rules