Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Migration assistant ?

Migration assistant ?
bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 30, 2009, 11:33 PM

How well does this work? My main concern is my photos and a few programs. Am afraid it will do a half ass job. This would be done from my old mac pro to my new one. Opinions?
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2009, 12:03 AM

It works perfectly. We use/recommend it all the time.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 12:33 AM

Plus it's not like it deletes the originals either. If it was to screw up, you still have the originals on the old Mac that you can try transferring again.
Vandelay Industries

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2009, 12:53 AM

Poorly; I've never had an unqualified success with it. It usually manages to copy (most of) the users files, but there's always a few things (generally settings/configuration) screwed up and difficult to resolve.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2009, 01:49 AM

I'm against the migration assistant.

It' s bloatware. It bloats the size of the files you need to an amount several times that large.

I did it once with the migration assistant. You start out with a new system that is clogged with unnecessary files like a system that's years in use.

I erased the result of the migration assistant.

Better is to drag the files across, the old Mac being in target mode. Takes 15 minutes. Complete list of files to transfer can easily be found on the internet or using the search feature on this site.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2009, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
It' s bloatware. It bloats the size of the files you need to an amount several times that large.
I did it once with the migration assistant.
Once? That's a pretty big sample size, thanks for sharing.
Better is to drag the files across, the old Mac being in target mode. Takes 15 minutes. Complete list of files to transfer can easily be found on the internet or using the search feature on this site.
The poster is afraid of a "half assed job". Unless you know what your doing, your method could potentially be just that.

edit: 15 minutes? Yeah, if you have a 2GB photo library and a 2GB iTunes library...

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Jan 31, 2009, 10:08 PM

Well, am going to give it a shot and see. Again, my main concern is iPhoto and iTunes. I've rebuilt when I moved from a iMac to my 1st mac pro and that sucked doing it manually. Very time consuming with a large library. For those who have done this, this won't screw up anything from the mac, will it? I do still need that the way it is. Going to be pissed if it nukes my mac. Thanks in advanced for the help.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 11:38 PM

Like I said before, it doesn't touch the source Mac.
( Last edited by Art Vandelay; Feb 1, 2009 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Superfluous word.)
Vandelay Industries

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
it doesn't touch the source the Mac.
Cryptic.

Quo vadis?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Well, am going to give it a shot and see. Again, my main concern is iPhoto and iTunes. I've rebuilt when I moved from a iMac to my 1st mac pro and that sucked doing it manually. Very time consuming with a large library. For those who have done this, this won't screw up anything from the mac, will it? I do still need that the way it is. Going to be pissed if it nukes my mac. Thanks in advanced for the help.
Everybody decides for himself.

I think it's not too much work.

It takes 15 minutes: I meant the preparation, not the actual copying time for large libraries.

I did it with a check list.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Once? That's a pretty big sample size, thanks for sharing.
You don't have to knock your head against the wall more than once to know it's not good for you.

Regarding the migration assistant, it was about my liking it or not.

Or do you draw statistical charts about your ice cream preferences?

"Ate bubble gum icecream fifteen times. Didn't like it. Let's eat it five more times, and then I might have a viable sample"

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 03:30 AM

I'm against the migration assistant.

I did it once with the migration assistant. You start out with a new system that is clogged with unnecessary files like a system that's years in use.
It's not like it copies caches or anything. It will just copy software you've installed (Minus a few things in /var and stuff in /System).

It does NOT bloat files. It copies them via AFP, just like doing it manually.

In case you were wondering, you can check exactly what files it's going to pull over.

Open Terminal and run

Code:
sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Resources/FindSystemFiles -ZuR

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2009, 03:23 PM

Worked like a charm. Was leary at first but gave it a shot. Hell of allot faster than transfering files and reconfiguring each program. A little advice for newbies: after you update your computer for the first time, run migration assistant. Keeps the initial user size small.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2009, 05:51 PM

So my wife and I are looking at stepping her WAY up-from an 800MHz G4 iBook to a 2.66GHz iMac. She'll be going from Tiger to the latest Leopard in the step up. Is there anything about such a migration to be concerned about, be aware of, or otherwise not trip over?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2009, 05:57 PM

I don't think you want any ppc programs porting over unless thats your plan. Might be easier to just start fresh.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2009, 06:38 PM

With Target Disk Mode I can just choose her personal folders and thus get her data without worrying about programs; what about with the Migration Assistant?

OreoCookie
Feb 1, 2009, 07:07 PM

Stop worrying, it'll be just fine. Migrate her data only, I bet you'll find that most apps have been updated in the mean time anyway.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2009, 07:19 PM

Cool. Now to wait for the tax refund....

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I don't think you want any ppc programs porting over unless thats your plan. Might be easier to just start fresh.
The PPC apps won't hurt anything. You can use the system profiler to show you a list of ppc apps after the migration and upgrade/delete them at will.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2009, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
With Target Disk Mode I can just choose her personal folders and thus get her data without worrying about programs; what about with the Migration Assistant?
I used Migration Assistant (actually Setup Assistant, which runs the same thing) to migrate from my daughters iMac G5 10.4 to the new iMac Intel 10.5. I told it migrate EVERYTHING. It's now been nearly two months and from what I can tell, everything works, even her WACOM tablet and Canon scanner and Canon printer -- drivers seemed to be migrated and installed properly without any effort on my part. It even migrated Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop Elements (two different versions) and we didn't need to input user codes or anything like that. When first run, the newer version of Mail updated the older mail files/folders, same for iphoto. Actually -- one thing did change -- the desktop background. She had to restore the picture she was used to.

I have also used Migration Assistant to move from 10.3 to 10.4 on a different pair of iMacs. Same experience, everything moved over without any effort on my part.

So that's another two data points, though not a statistical sample. I asked in the Apple-centric store where I got the Intel iMac if it was better to move things over by hand, and they said that everyone (including the salepeople who work in the store) uses Migration Assistant and they don't hear about problems.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Cool. Now to wait for the tax refund....
Be glad you're not in California.

It'd be a long wait...

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2009, 09:27 PM

Be glad you're not in California.

It'd be a long wait...
Wrong kind of tax refund. I'm in Texas with no state sales tax; I'm waiting on my federal refund.

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2009, 11:53 AM

If i purchase a portable computer and i use Target mode to copy just my iPhoto Library file to the new computer, will i still be able to access all my slideshows, picture books and other folders which i setup in iPhoto?

I'm not sure if all those things are within the iPhoto Library file (as it's just 1 file) or if those types of things are kept all over the computer in different locations. Or does copying the iPhoto Library file only copy the actual pictures?
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

Forum Links
Forum Rules