Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How Many of Us Have Never Owned a Single PC?

View Poll Results: Have you ever owned a PC?
Poll Options:
No, I have never owned one. 51 votes (61.45%)
Yes, unfortunately I have owned one. 29 votes (34.94%)
Yes, but I bought it against my will. 3 votes (3.61%)
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll
How Many of Us Have Never Owned a Single PC?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2006, 09:48 AM

I say it proudly - I have never owned a single PC. How about you?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2006, 10:25 AM

I can't vote-my response isn't part of the poll. I've owned nearly a dozen Windows/DOS computers on purpose. Why? I simply couldn't afford ANY Apple computer until relatively recently, while I could afford prebuilt and home-built PCs. Sad but true. There's also college, which used PCs as terminals for a VAX, as well as basing all our programming assignments on PC compilers. Apple has always been a specialty market in the past, focusing on people with the cash to pay for innovative and interesting products. Unfortunately, I haven't been in that demographic for very long.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2006, 10:29 AM

Just to clarify, I am not criticizing anyone for owning PCs. I was just curious to see how many of us fall into this category.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2006, 10:32 AM

Your poll responses don't look quite as "accepting of diversity" as your second post.

And to clarify my own post, I'm pretty sad that my first privately owned computer couldn't be the Mac I drooled over (was that in '87 or '88?). I wound up waiting three or four more years to buy a computer of my own, and wound up with a PC because of school requirements.

Ok, my diversion is over. Sorry to interrupt. Carry on!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 10:41 AM

Yes, I have owned one PC. My wife thought that she needed it for school.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 10:44 AM

Never owned one.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Dr.Michael
Feb 10, 2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I say it proudly - I have never owned a single PC. How about you?
I owned a 486 notebook, a P3 notebook and a 486 tower, all three not unfortunately. I use a pentium m thinkpad at work (linux).

If you don't know the other side you cannot talk about good or bad.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2006, 10:49 AM

Note: the question is not "never used a single PC" but rather owned one. I know PCs relatively well.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 10:57 AM

I took my parents old 286 with me to college, but I almost never used it.

My parents have always owned PCs and I've had several roommates who have as well. That said, at one point in my life I was very good on both platforms, but I haven't really had to use a PC since the Windows 98 era. I honestly haven't touched one in anything more then a very casual manner in over 6 or 7 years. It's kind of bad actually. I should get back up to speed.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 10:58 AM

I have never owned one... forced to use one at work... parents had one... my school used them... my fiance uses one (but is forced to use my iBook at home because it has wireless network issues)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 10, 2006, 11:11 AM

My PC ownership cherry has never been popped. That may change in the future, though, as I may need to get a PC to test websites and practice Mac-Win networking.

tooki

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2006, 11:17 AM

But don't you think the hackers are going to figure out Mactel Windows booting sometime in the near future?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
But don't you think the hackers are going to figure out Mactel Windows booting sometime in the near future?
I'm guessing they will... but will the average person bother? Also, the real trick to Windows on Mactel is that XP doesn't support some of the new technologies that Vista will. I think it will be somewhat easy and straightforward to boot Vista on the Mactel and I welcome that.

I don't buy Macs for the fantastic hardware... I buy it for the OS. If it weren't for the OS, I wouldn't buy from Apple.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
I owned a 486 notebook, a P3 notebook and a 486 tower, all three not unfortunately. I use a pentium m thinkpad at work (linux).

If you don't know the other side you cannot talk about good or bad.
You DO NOT need to own a Windows box to complain about them. Most here are forced to use Windows on a regular basis. I'm using XP at work, and our IT guy is VERY cool. My system is virus free and runs well, but it's still clunky, unpolished, and graphically inferior to OS X 10.2 (let alone 10.3 or 10.4). The GUI is poor at best, and I'm not sure how they can fix it with Microsoft's "design by committee" approach to the GUI.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 11:58 AM

Wow, this is a tough one. Does Linux count?

I own PC hardware, but none of my pieces of PC hardware have ever had windows loaded on it. (and FWIW, I dismantled my last Linux box for parts a year or two ago.)

I also own a few licecsed copies of windows, but they are all tied to various versions of VPC or other emulators, and have all run (slowly) on Macs.

My head hurts now.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 11:58 AM

Use PCs frequently (currently, in fact), but have never owned or paid for one.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
You DO NOT need to own a Windows box to complain about them. Most here are forced to use Windows on a regular basis. I'm using XP at work, and our IT guy is VERY cool. My system is virus free and runs well, but it's still clunky, unpolished, and graphically inferior to OS X 10.2 (let alone 10.3 or 10.4). The GUI is poor at best, and I'm not sure how they can fix it with Microsoft's "design by committee" approach to the GUI.
I have a Dell laptop assigned by my employer, running XP. In fact, I'm typing on it right now.

My work laptop has been relatively stable. Then again, all that I've installed on it that were not part of the Official Corporate Image are iTunes, Konfabulator, and the Official Engineering Applications that I am supposed to use as part of my job. Plus, Someone Else has the job of keeping the patches and virus definitions up to date.

Windows is perfectly usable if you have an IT staff on call to care for it 24/7.
All the same, though, the first two things I did upon receipt were:
1) move the taskbar to the top of the screen, "Where It Belongs"
2) put an old-school rainbow Apple logo over the Dell logo on the laptop cover. (I checked, it will come off without marring the finish!)

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 12:03 PM

Didn't know better, bought one, returned it after 10 days.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 12:04 PM

PCs aren't so bad. In fact, as a student I prefer to use windows because I find it less distracting than osx. In my free time I prefer osx hands down, but windows is better for getting work done.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 12:15 PM

Parents owned a 486 when I was in grade 5... later bought me an iMac, then bought themselves a compaq. I've had to use the compaq for several things before, when we first got broadband we only put it on the compaq, and a couple months later I got it on my iMac, probably cause the rents were sick of me playing on their machine surfing this new thing called the internet haha... ICQ was great...
Anyway, yah I've never actually owned one... and I switched the rents this year.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Your poll responses don't look quite as "accepting of diversity" as your second post.

And to clarify my own post, I'm pretty sad that my first privately owned computer couldn't be the Mac I drooled over (was that in '87 or '88?). I wound up waiting three or four more years to buy a computer of my own, and wound up with a PC because of school requirements.

Ok, my diversion is over. Sorry to interrupt. Carry on!
Wouldn't "[y]es, but I bought it against my will" qualify?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 10, 2006, 01:12 PM

I've never owned a PC ever ! I've even turned down a few decent paying gigs because they would had to have been done using a pc, I told them to bugger off !

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 01:20 PM

Owned, or bought?

I have never bought a PC for personal use, only a steady stream of Apple machines (some of which may not count as macs, I still haven't figured if a Powerbook is a mac or not), but I have accepted them as gifts on behalf of my game-playing children.

I can't figure out which option to click.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

only120xs
Feb 10, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
PCs aren't so bad. In fact, as a student I prefer to use windows because I find it less distracting than osx. In my free time I prefer osx hands down, but windows is better for getting work done.
You're kidding, right??

I have far far less down time/ yelling at my computer time when I'm at home using OS X than when I'm at work using Windows XP, even though I have an IT staff at work to fix my problems.

The difference is, at home I never have any problems that need fixing.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I can't vote-my response isn't part of the poll. I've owned nearly a dozen Windows/DOS computers on purpose.
I've owned 2, so voted "unfortunately" because my Macs kicked their butts.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

turbopants
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2006, 01:37 PM

Owned a few PC's in my lifetime. Never had one that I liked, though.

ambush
Banned
Feb 10, 2006, 01:42 PM

I've thought about it a couple of times but Windows is way too frustrating to use on a daily basis.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2006, 02:05 PM

I owned a 286, went from a 386 to a PIII 450 and onto a AMD 1400(built from scratch).

That's when I got smart and bought a PB last summer.

The AMD 1400 is still running at the other end of the desk at the moment. It'll probably will until I can afford a Powermac.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

euphras
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 02:13 PM

Since the Commodore C 64 does certainly not count as a PC: No, never owned a PC.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by christ
Owned, or bought?

I have never bought a PC for personal use, only a steady stream of Apple machines (some of which may not count as macs, I still haven't figured if a Powerbook is a mac or not), but I have accepted them as gifts on behalf of my game-playing children.

I can't figure out which option to click.
Mac = Computer that runs Mac OS X, I think we can even include the clones in this one.

PC = Windows box

Linux box = Linux box

A PowerBook is a Mac, an iPod however is not.

only120xs
Feb 10, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Mac = Computer that runs Mac OS X, I think we can even include the clones in this one.

PC = Windows box

Linux box = Linux box

A PowerBook is a Mac, an iPod however is not.
so a Mac Classic isn't a Mac?

Mac = any computer that can run/ran any Apple OS ?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 02:49 PM

A HP e-Vectra became my first PC. It was free. The company that a friend worked for was selling them for $20. He gave me the box. I still need to pay him for it.

I took it because of cost, and occasionally I need to see how things look from a windows perspective.

Mac = Any Computer that was/is Licensed legally to run a Macintosh Operating system.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2006, 02:55 PM

i've never owned a pc, but almost purchased a vaio until i got into graphics. got my first mac (imac g3 333) in '99, on my seventh now. i could probably get a free pc from an IT friend to use as a test mule if i ever needed one.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2006, 03:03 PM

I've only owned x86 PCs running Windows... too much software just doesn't run and doesn't have a close substitute on OS X.

It's sad when an app runs on at least 3 OSs (combinations of Windows, Linux, AIX, IRIX, Solaris, HP-UX) but not OS X.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2006, 03:07 PM

Iv been given old pc's from relatives but the only computer iv ever bought myself were macs

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 03:52 PM

Do you think perhaps people who are frustrated by Windows are just too dumb to use it? Has Apple's emphasis on simplicity made us incapable of using normal computers? /sarcasm
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Feb 10, 2006 at 04:56 PM. )

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
A HP e-Vectra became my first PC. It was free. The company that a friend worked for was selling them for $20. He gave me the box. I still need to pay him for it.

I took it because of cost, and occasionally I need to see how things look from a windows perspective.

Mac = Any Computer that was/is Licensed legally to run a Macintosh Operating system.
Even before it was called a Macintosh Operating system? Does that make Apple II a mac? Or Lisa?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 04:52 PM

Do you think perhaps people who are frustrated by Windows are just too dumb to use it?
Nope.

Adware and Spyware are an issue even for those of us that aren't dumb. Even if we are not affected by them, we still waste hours and hours taking precautions and defending against them.

Has Apple's emphasis on simplicity made us incapable of using normal computers?
Normal? Define 'normal'.
Chris. T.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 04:56 PM

sorry I forgot to put my sarcasm tags on that post.

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 05:03 PM

Ooops - missed it.

Sorry - my bad. I must spend too long in the company of PC users.
Chris. T.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 05:53 PM

I'd really love to get one of those sweet sub-notebooks. Only if Windows didn't suck so much, especially on such a small res screen. I can't live without my Mac OS X.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 05:56 PM

Salty: I'd call a Linux box a PC as long as it's capable of running a Microsoft OS. I would use PC to mean recent box capable of running Windows or older box that would've been called "IBM Compatible" in its day. I'd call not-PC stuff that was designed to run and shipped with a specific non-Microsoft OS. So, any Apple, Commodore/Amiga, Mac clones, and all those custom-Unix-variant workstations that used to be so common..

But I say all that just so I can claim that while I've owned a non-Mac (an Apple IIGS (well, my parents bought it when I was a kid, but I was its main user)), I've never owned a PC. On my 4th Mac now.

mduell: all x86 boxes so far? Have you been such a prolific poster here because you're planning on getting a Mac, or do you just love to talk about them?

SVass
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 05:59 PM

I may be in a special category. I started with an Apple II. A friend of mine and I built Z-80 cards and installed them in our Apples. My memory is that I ran a special version of DOS as well as Z-80 assembly. I still have both the card and the Apple as well although they haven't been turned on for many years. sam

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 08:39 PM

In my line of work, not owning a PC would be stupid. So, I have always had a PC available, either mine, or the school's. I don't regret my 2 PCs.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2006, 08:48 PM

I bought a PC just to play games I couldn't on my Mac (Counter-Strike, Infantry)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SVass
I may be in a special category. I started with an Apple II. A friend of mine and I built Z-80 cards and installed them in our Apples. My memory is that I ran a special version of DOS as well as Z-80 assembly. I still have both the card and the Apple as well although they haven't been turned on for many years. sam
I've always wondered. Assuming you had the software, could you play the older arcade games that ran on Z-80s if you had the Z-80 card?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 09:06 PM

In order;
Commodore 64
Atari 800
Radio Shack something or other (mid 1980s)
Amiga
Zenith 8088
Packard Bell 286
Packard Bell 386
ZEOS 486
NEC Pentium 100Mhz
Quadra 660AV
B&W G3 350
B&W G3 400
Graphite G4 (don't remember speed)
iMac G4 800 17" LCD (still have and use daily)
iBook G4 1.2Ghz (bought new last summer, still have and use)

Do I regret owning PCs? Nope. Do I like Macs better? Absolutely. Would I buy another PC? Nope.
( Last edited by OldManMac; Feb 10, 2006 at 09:19 PM. )
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

SVass
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I've always wondered. Assuming you had the software, could you play the older arcade games that ran on Z-80s if you had the Z-80 card?
I remember nothing! sorry, Sam

storer
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 09:14 PM

I'm using one now

But the only machine I ever bought myself was an iMac.

Sage
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 09:27 PM

Nope. Never a PC hath set foot in this household.

Forum Links
Forum Rules