Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Please help me with my speech at Careers Expo about the future of I.T.

Please help me with my speech at Careers Expo about the future of I.T.
storer
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 07:50 AM

Hey Guys,

Thought the MacNNers would be the best to ask. I have been asked to fill a spot at a careers expo Monday morning. I need to give a ten minute talk about the future of I.T. and what people who are interested in careers in the industry should do to prepare for a career in the evolving industry.

Any ideas? Any suggestions? Any catchy one-liners?

I'm a confident public speaker, so that's no problem, but I have not got much time to put anything together.

So even if a few of you could suggest some things that they can see happening in the industry or where the jobs are, that would be great.

I was considering talking about: 10 years ago it wasn't that hard to get a job in the industry, but today it's so much harder because you need to be multiskilled. You need to be creative, open-minded, quirky, business minded, intelligent, and dedicated. Education doesn't matter that much - sure, a degree will help you get a job as a network admin - while creativity and willingness to learn in an everchanging environment does.

So, any suggestions to follow those lines? Any disagreements with it?

I really appreciate any help at all at this late stage.

Thanks,
Storer

abe
Professional Poster
May 28, 2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by storer
Hey Guys,

Thought the MacNNers would be the best to ask. I have been asked to fill a spot at a careers expo Monday morning. I need to give a ten minute talk about the future of I.T. and what people who are interested in careers in the industry should do to prepare for a career in the evolving industry.

Any ideas? Any suggestions? Any catchy one-liners?

I'm a confident public speaker, so that's no problem, but I have not got much time to put anything together.

So even if a few of you could suggest some things that they can see happening in the industry or where the jobs are, that would be great.

I was considering talking about: 10 years ago it wasn't that hard to get a job in the industry, but today it's so much harder because you need to be multiskilled. You need to be creative, open-minded, quirky, business minded, intelligent, and dedicated. Education doesn't matter that much - sure, a degree will help you get a job as a network admin - while creativity and willingness to learn in an everchanging environment does.

So, any suggestions to follow those lines? Any disagreements with it?

I really appreciate any help at all at this late stage.

Thanks,
Storer
Ok.

I'm no computer guru. Far from it. But, here's my feedback, input, 2¢...fwiw...

I like your idea. I'd suggest they do something that involves people and charitable endeavors. Or actually being part of an organization, large or small, where they have to take orders from people who aren't as smart as they. Or function in an environment without their normal support systems or usual types of peers.

Inner city literacy programs. Soup kitchen or food bank. Fast food restaurant. Landscaping crew. Join the Military Reserve (Australian Defense Force (ADF): Australian Army, Royal Australian Navy, Royal Australian Air Force, Special Operations Command). Volunteer at an animal sanctuary. Become a victim's advocate. Work the drug or rape hotline. Volunteer at a hospice.

Find some way to apply your computer skills to helping the less fortunate.

Look for some problem in your community and solve it in some way. Large or small.

This will give the technically minded an opportunity to learn or be reminded of some important skills and principles that will separate them from their competitors.

I trust I wouldn't need to list those skills and principles for you.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

storer  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 06:00 PM

Thank you I will add something to that effect in.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2006, 01:26 PM

Add something about taking Punjabi as a second language.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules