Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Am I Going To Be Scammed?

Am I Going To Be Scammed?
b3b0p
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 07:04 PM

Due to a new job I have to sell my 17 inch Powerbook (see Marketplace Forum). I put it on eBay and I got an email from someone in Turkey who wants to buy it. He wants to send Cashiers Check for the "Buy-It-Now" price plus extra for shipping. I told him I need about 10 business days for it to clear.

So, my question is this legit? Can I even sell this thing overseas legally (don't know export/import laws on computers or anything)? Should I be leary of his money? After it clears can he get it back somehow.

I don't know what else to ask about selling it on eBay. It just seems like there are alot of scams going on overseas on eBay.

This is not some gimmick to give my auction more hits (I never supplied the link to auction). I just did not know where else to ask this. People in this forum seem to be pretty smart when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Any advice on this would be great.

I think I am just going to have to tell him sorry. But thought I would ask someone first as I really need to sell it.

Thanks,
Chris

dettociao
Senior User
May 18, 2003, 07:19 PM

b3b0p-

Be careful.

You can sell it overseas no problem... there is no current restriction on selling the G4 overseas (IIRC).

Scams overseas are abundant. I'm not sure what exactly happens, but I don't think you are protected with a cashier's check (i.e. even after it clears the $$ can go away if the account turns up defrauded).

I would sit it out and sell it via e-bay.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

b3b0p  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. He was going to use eBay. But just was checking with me (I think that is what he was doing?) to see if I would ship it overseas.

I am hesitant because of all the scams I hear about on eBay.

Chris

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by b3b0p:
Thanks for the quick reply. He was going to use eBay. But just was checking with me (I think that is what he was doing?) to see if I would ship it overseas.

I am hesitant because of all the scams I hear about on eBay.

Chris
I wouldn't sell it overseas. I also would not accept a cashiers check as it may clear only later to be found out to either be stolen or fake.
I have sold to powerbooks on ebay and have not had a problem. I only accept paypal and only ship after the payment clears. You still aren't 100% sure as even paypal can be scammed, but it is by far the safest. Also I only ship in the U.S. as if you are scammed from outside the country you are out of luck, especially in countries in the near, middle east and southeast asia.
Just remember if someone wants to give you alot of money and other auctions for similar items are not going for that much beware.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

b3b0p  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 07:38 PM

Thanks! I am just going to tell him sorry, but I can't sell it outside the U.S.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

iWrite
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 07:47 PM

NO WAY.

Read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/15/te...ts/15frau.html

(You may have to register at the New York Times to read it but that's free and all they require is an email address.)

But, any and all people who want to sell something on eBay and have thought that accepting a cashier check was safe -- think again.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 09:01 PM

Anyone that tries to get around the regular process of purchasing on eBay is trying to defraud you. There may be a few exceptions, but just go with that.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2003, 09:59 PM

Due to a new job I have to sell my 17 inch Powerbook (see Marketplace Forum). I put it on eBay and I got an email from someone in Turkey who wants to buy it.
If you've priced it reasonably it will sell here in the US just fine - heck, it'll probably sell in your metro area if you're in a big town.

While you can certainly send to Turkey, there are a ton of potential problems. Counterfeit certified checks, counterfeit currency, no recourse in case something goes wrong, etc., etc. PayPal even has a list of countries in which they will not allow you to conduct business -- not sure if Turkey is on the list tho... probably.

I wouldn't do it. How much? Where's the link to the auction?

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2003, 10:06 PM

A note about Cashier's Checks.

This is something I really don't understand about people sometimes. Everyone knows that for cashing a cashier's check, you don't need to deposit that money in a bank account.

The best way to do these things is to go to a different bank or a store, and get cash for it.

In this way, your account can't be dinged if the check is bad. All you have to do is make sure you don't ship the machine until you have cash in hand.
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

iWrite
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 10:14 PM

Huh?

<blinking>

What grocery store is going to give someone $2K or $3K for a cashier check drawn on a bank?

You HAVE to deposit a cashier check into your own bank account or you have to cash the cashier check at the bank it was drawn on. Unless, of course, you have a friend's account that will allow it to be processed through.

Did you read that article from the NYTimes? It very clearly discusses how cashier checks are becoming fronts for scam artists.

No grocery store I've EVER been to has thousands of dollars laying around for cashing checks. In fact, our local grocery store (it's a large chain) won't even cash a money order. They'll only cash a check up to $75 with an in-state bank and they run the check through the check verification process (Chex, CheckCare, etc.)

romeosc
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 10:34 PM

You must deposit it and it still may not clear!!

I sold a PB COD Cashiers check from FEDEX! They gave me cashiers check & it was fraudulent per Secret Service. I had no recourse. The storefront had pulled up after taking many suckers to cleaners,

FedEx says "not their problem!"

My Bank says "not their problem!"

Police in both cities says "not their problem!"

Secret Service says "not their problem!" ..... We'll let you know!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 02:07 AM

I don't understand what the problem is. Tell him that you will not ship until the cheque is cleared, i.e the cash is in your hand, the money in your account.

How can you possibly get scammed, taking these simple precautions?
Or am I missing something about the US banking system?

Edit: Just read the NYC article. Bummer. Here in the UK once the money is in your account its yours for good. Cheques take three days to clear, overseas cheques up to a week but at least there's no come back. I agree, don't touch it. It looks well fishy.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2003, 04:10 AM

There are counterfeit cashiers checks going around that even banks may cash...at first. But since there is nothing backing the check they will eventually come back to you for the money. Meanwhile the person you "sold" the powerbook to is long gone. Whatever their scheme is, the chances of this person being legit are very small, and not worth you risking your money on.

Frankly, you'd be a fool to sell it to someone under these circumstances.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 08:14 AM

Dont ship to anyone overseas or with a dodgy foreign name. Bloody foreigners. Not to be trusted. They are all evil. Every foreign one of them. That goes for everyone outside the US, like, er me and half the contributors to this forum. d'ohh

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
Dont ship to anyone overseas or with a dodgy foreign name. Bloody foreigners. Not to be trusted. They are all evil. Every foreign one of them. That goes for everyone outside the US, like, er me and half the contributors to this forum. d'ohh
You lose many of your protections when you sell internationally. It becomes more difficult for law enforcement to do anything. I won't do it for large amounts.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
Don't be ridiculous. The fact is that fraud is rampant, and you have virtually no protection against fraud if you sell to these people. If you want to do it, feel free, but don't come crying when you get taken.

b3b0p  (op)
Forum Regular
May 19, 2003, 10:15 AM

Wow! Lots of replies.

Thanks everyone. You have informed me of the dangers of overseas purchases and cashiers check.

I did once sell my old Sega NOMad to someone in the UK. But they went through eBay and contacted me first before bidding. Another time I sold a Virtual Boy to someone in Canada, again they contacted me before bidding. I used to collect video games and decided it was time to clean out the closet a little. I still have some of my favorites but it ain't much. Anyway...

Thanks again. I never knew about the dangers of cashiers check and selling overseas. This maybe a mac forum but I may come here when I need eBay advice too

Thanks,
Chris

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I don't understand what the problem is. Tell him that you will not ship until the cheque is cleared, i.e the cash is in your hand, the money in your account.

How can you possibly get scammed, taking these simple precautions?
Or am I missing something about the US banking system?
Not true, several times I have cashed cheques in the UK, where the money has entered my business account, and then up to 9 months later been removed from my account.

The last time was because the bank had lost the cheques in transit to the US (they were US cheques, but cashed in the UK), they removed the funds and then told me I would have to renegotiate the cheques with the clients who had issued them.

Sounds unbelievable, but completely true, eventually they backed down - but noticeably they admitted they had taken no copies of the cheques before sending them back to the US.

Similarly, immediately after 9/11 a number of cheques from No.1 Bank Of America (name ?), addressed the WTC were rejected - which I thought was in pretty poor taste. The cheques although initially cashed, were then re-debited from my account.

Bank was Natwest for all your future references, and they have never failed to show their incompetence, ineptitude, and arrogance in all the above, and other issues.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2003, 02:30 PM

Anyone else find this amusing?

b3b0p  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 05:09 PM

Sorry, but have one more question. I am getting a few people who are overseas that want to pay via PayPal and add on any shipping expenses. How safe is this?

You guys have been so great with answering my questions about selling something of high value like my Powerbook on eBay.

Thanks,
Chris

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2003, 05:42 PM

Sorry, but have one more question. I am getting a few people who are overseas that want to pay via PayPal and add on any shipping expenses. How safe is this?

You guys have been so great with answering my questions about selling something of high value like my Powerbook on eBay.

Thanks,
Chris
i think you need to go to paypal site & read their rules. honestly, i suggest you go do that now before you decide to use paypal. that way you can understand what steps you need to do to protect yourself against fraud.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

iWrite
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 05:55 PM

NOT SAFE to do business with Paypal.

www.paypalwarning.com

And Paypal "reserves the right to do a chargeback to your account" meaning that at ANY time they can go into your bank account and take the money back out -- if your bank account is attached.

They will send a money order to you if you opt to do things that way but you're still taking too big of a risk because they will hold an international transaction for up to two weeks and you can still be scammed.

I believe that to do international business you have to have a checking account attached so that they can seize back the funds in the event that there is a scam going on.

Call Paypal at 402-935-7733 to talk to them about this but make sure you write down the name and extension of the person you have a discussion with because Paypal is notorious for giving out inaccurate or bad information.

Paypal is useless for anything other than transactions under $200 and only if the transaction is in the United States.

What I don't understand is why you keep wanting to sell it outside of the U.S.? I mean, if you want to do it just do it and get it over with. You sound like you WANT to be scammed to be honest because you're looking for reasons to rationalize doing business with someone in another country -- almost a third world country.

So, just do it and then you can start posting at the "Help!!! I was screwed!" thread.

b3b0p  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 05:59 PM

That's Scary!

OK, I know what to tell them now. WOW! I never knew.

Thanks,
Chris

iWrite
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 06:16 PM

Well, good luck.

Don't get me wrong: Paypal can be quite useful for some transactions, but you should ALWAYS try to conduct business within the U.S. and if you're doing a high-value amount then request a faxed copy of the buyer's/recipient's drivers license (that should match their Paypal "verified" and "confirmed" address) and never accept a credit card for electronic goods, period.

If you're paying for an item then your best bet is to send a U.S.P.S. money order only -- it's guaranteed against fraud and you can get your money back.

Nothing is as safe -- not Western Union (or W.U. money orders), or any other kind of money orders or cashier checks, all of which could be fraudulent.

If you accept payment via U.S.P.S. money order and it's over $200 then request a copy of the receipt for the money order purchase so that you know that the money orders are legitimate.

Good luck.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2003, 08:12 PM

I've never had a problem with paypal, but it definitely is not as safe as many people seem to think. I've heard of people having funds deducted from their accounts months after the the transaction was supposed to be over. When you're dealing with expensive items like computers, you really can't be too careful.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 22, 2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by dettociao:

You can sell it overseas no problem... there is no current restriction on selling the G4 overseas (IIRC).

Here is what Apple says about exporting their products. I imagine if they can't sell it to them, you can't either.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Here is what Apple says about exporting their products. I imagine if they can't sell it to them, you can't either.
Of course you can sell them overseas -- that only applies to authorized apple retailers, not individuals.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
May 22, 2003, 09:32 PM

Hopefully you don't all count Australia as an unsafe place to sell things to? There's a lot of things that we can only buy from you guys:/
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Forum Links
Forum Rules