Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Overrated

Overrated (Page 2)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2019, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
He’s in 10 pieces of hot garbage for every good movie.

There’s Fear and Loathing, Ed Wood, and I assume Dead Man. Then it becomes a barren wasteland.

You know who else is overrated? Tim Burton.
Now you’re finally speaking my language!

Add Aaron Sorkin to this list! You can take that trademark snappy dialogue and shove it....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2019, 07:11 PM

they both were at one point, correctly rated. not lately though.

Thorzdad
Jul 8, 2019, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
they both were at one point, correctly rated. not lately though.
Especially when you're talking about entertainment, being underrated/overrated is very much a function of the of the times within which they are being evaluated. Sorkin's walky-talky style was an innovation in television drama at the time. Now, it's old hat and worn out a bit. Burton was a child of 80's post-modernism, and hasn't really moved beyond it very much.

I'd say, of the two, Burton has lost the most sheen. I can't even look at Beetlejuice or Batman without grimacing. Sorkin, at least, has the advantage that people actually do walky-talky like that is actual office settings.

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2019, 09:46 AM

See, I still love beetlejuice and batman. Nightmare before Christmas is an evergreen classic. (fight me bro) Big Fish was pretty good.

Where Burton lost it, was remaking Willie Wonka so HORRIBLY, and while he broke out of his comfort zone black/white palette for Alice in Wonderland, those also fell flat for me. I can't think of anything he's made in the last 10 years that wasn't a disappointment. <checks imdb> ok, Miss Peregine wasn't HORRIBLE but it unnecessarily veered from the book.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2019, 03:15 AM

I liked his version of Alice.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2019, 05:16 PM

Even if I didn’t know I’d likely hate it for other reasons, here’s a radical idea... don’t cast an adult to play a seven-year-old.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2019, 07:17 PM

See, I still love beetlejuice and batman. Nightmare before Christmas is an evergreen classic. (fight me bro) Big Fish was pretty good.

Where Burton lost it, was remaking Willie Wonka so HORRIBLY, and while he broke out of his comfort zone black/white palette for Alice in Wonderland, those also fell flat for me. I can't think of anything he's made in the last 10 years that wasn't a disappointment. <checks imdb> ok, Miss Peregine wasn't HORRIBLE but it unnecessarily veered from the book.
Big Fish, surprisingly, didn’t suck.

I’m convinced Beetlejuice and Batman are good only because the studio was herding Burton. Once that stopped is when the problems began. Batman isn’t really that great, anyway.

It had already started with Nightmare, which with the exception of a couple musical numbers, I thought was kinda dull.

The animation was janky at times, too.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2019, 08:05 PM

I have no issue with Sorkin. The Newsroom was genuinely superb.
Johnny Depp probably is a bit overrated, but The first Pirates was actually a really good movie. Its a bit like Titanic, it got so overhyped afterwards everyone got bored enough to start shitting all over it. I'm not saying either is perfect, but they are both very good.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2019, 01:55 AM

Thin Mints.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2019, 05:01 AM

hydroflasks.

i've worked off and on at rei since i was in college, and my god, i can't believe the cult that is hydroflask, i can't decide whether or not they're more or less insufferable than the la croix bros

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I have no issue with Sorkin. The Newsroom was genuinely superb.
Johnny Depp probably is a bit overrated, but The first Pirates was actually a really good movie. Its a bit like Titanic, it got so overhyped afterwards everyone got bored enough to start shitting all over it. I'm not saying either is perfect, but they are both very good.
I didn’t regret watching the first Pirates, but it would have been better with RDJ.

andi*pandi
Oct 2, 2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
hydroflasks.

i've worked off and on at rei since i was in college, and my god, i can't believe the cult that is hydroflask, i can't decide whether or not they're more or less insufferable than the la croix bros
I've only recently heard these are a thing - apparently they are a requirement for a vsco girl.

We like nalgenes, but I wish their lid loop was sturdier.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2019, 01:41 PM

requirement for a vsco girl.
I didn’t even know vsco girls were a thing.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2019, 01:26 PM

Now that it’s been mentioned, I’m noticing the Scuncis on the wrist.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2019, 11:45 AM

5 Guys fries.

andi*pandi
Nov 1, 2019, 11:57 AM

why, you little...

what do you have against fresh real potatoes not reheated frozen dry bits?

Thorzdad
Nov 1, 2019, 12:44 PM

5 Guys fries.
I dunno. The fries are the only things I like there, but they are pretty good right out of the fryer (which, I guess, pertains to all fries). They're not "omg these are the best things evar" fries, but they're definitely better than, say, BK's fries.

I like Steak n Shake's fries, if you're going for shoestring style fries.

andi*pandi
Nov 1, 2019, 03:05 PM

I like their burgers better than BK or MCD, but of course not as good as home or sitdown restaurants. Their shakes are good too.

Their fries are fresh and real, the only other "fastish" food fries that are good are Shake Shack, but that's high end fast food.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 1, 2019, 09:59 PM

5 Guys' fries MUST be hot, or they are meh at best. As are Red Robin's fries; pretty good hot (with campfire sauce) but cooled down they aren't much - even with campfire sauce.

In my experience, they serve 5 Guys' fries WAY too hot, just to make sure that they get to your table still hot enough to be tasty.

Oh, and one serving is about a week's worth of fat, as seen with the paper they wrap them in...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves
Nov 2, 2019, 06:05 AM

As a shareholder, I can say that Cracker Barrel is overrated at least for breakfast which is the only time I’ve been there. Been there for breakfast maybe four times and each time a bit disappointed. My local diner is miles ahead of flavor. Even Denny’s is better.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
As a shareholder, I can say that Cracker Barrel is overrated at least for breakfast which is the only time I’ve been there. Been there for breakfast maybe four times and each time a bit disappointed. My local diner is miles ahead of flavor. Even Denny’s is better.
I think, like in many restaurant chains, that it depends on the specific restaurant.

I've eaten breakfast at Cracker Barrel restaurants in several cities, and they were similar, but not the same by any means. Breakfast foods should be goof-proof for any restaurant, but there's goofed up, and there's "that's the way I want it." So it comes down to the cook that actually prepares the food more than anything else.

I've seen this particularly at IHOP; there are two IHOPs roughly the same distance from my home, and one is consistently better (and cleaner, and more efficient, etc.) than the other, though the "better" one is often variable in performance. If you go to IHOP and order pancakes, don't you think the pancakes should be pretty much the same every time, and at every single IHOP? Not so much. It's the cooking staff that makes the difference.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2019, 01:50 PM

iOS 13

They someone take Apple’s entire QA department behind the shed ?

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2019, 07:17 PM

I have an older iPad Air, and I’m no longer sure if I’m having problems because it’s old or because iPad OS 13 is messing with me.

If I were the superstitious type, I’d say that iOS/iPad OS 13 is possessed. Whatever it is, it ain’t “better than iOS 12” by a long shot, and thus ay overrated.

Thorzdad
Nov 9, 2019, 11:33 PM

Kind of glad my iPad Air is too old to get iOS 13.

P
Nov 12, 2019, 08:44 AM

For the first time since the dark days of the nineties, I am honestly reconsidering my purchase of Apple products.
  • MacOS gets worse and not better with every revision. I'm on Sierra which is no longer getting security updates, but I don't want to move because the newer versions remove features I want, and add "security" features that are just non-sensical. This also means that getting a new Mac is out of the question, because it will then have Catalina - although this may be a moot point, because...
  • I don't want any of the new Macs. I have a 2016 MBP, and thank $deity that its keyboard is fine, because I don't want to replace it. Newer MBPs are fine, and a quadcore would be nifty, but it is too expensive for a minor upgrade. The iMac is still the moronic ultra-slim shape that is just loud when you do anything strenuously, the GPU is too weak for the resolution as a result, and there is sitll no DisplayPort in. The iMac Pro is super-expensive. The MP is missing in action, and likely even more insanely expensive. The slim Macbook Air is too slow for what I need to do. The only one that maybe makes sense is the Mac mini and just giving up on the GPU power entirely, but getting it to a size of storage and memory that I can live with makes it a very expensive proposition for something would by necessity be a secondary computer with its weak GPU.
  • No iPhones in a sane size. I don't even need them to be the 4" iPhone SE size, I can go slightly bigger, but the iPhone X-size is just too large. For this year we still have the iPhone 8, but the path forward is clear - it is unusably enormous that is the future.
  • iOS is so buggy right now that I don't know what they're thinking.
  • The AppleTV remains very expensive for what you get, and that remote is still stupid. I can fix that with a case, and I might even buy one, but I would have hoped for an update by now.

There are still things they do well, but do I want to remain in the ecosystem with issues like these? The iPads keep looking good (and really quite cheap for the power you get), I like the Apple Watch and the Series 5 update was a good one, and the new Airpods Pro are very tempting but still... I can get replacements for most of these. The one I can't replace right now is the iPad.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2019, 09:32 AM

I think this can be boiled down to a single problem. Their OS release schedule is too rapid. Neither Apple or developers can keep up.

The hardware’s still fine for the most part. Too expensive is the Apple standard, iMac is gimpy, and they whiffed the last Mac Pro, but the new Mini is great, and my phone is a solid piece of kit. I thought I’d hate going up in size, but now I couldn’t go back.

FWIW, rumor is they’re making a new SE.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 12, 2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
but I don't want to move because the newer versions remove features I want,
I'm interested in what was lost.

P
Nov 12, 2019, 01:49 PM

I think this can be boiled down to a single problem. Their OS release schedule is too rapid. Neither Apple or developers can keep up.

The hardware’s still fine for the most part. Too expensive is the Apple standard, iMac is gimpy, and they whiffed the last Mac Pro, but the new Mini is great, and my phone is a solid piece of kit. I thought I’d hate going up in size, but now I couldn’t go back.

FWIW, rumor is they’re making a new SE.
Supposedly there is an SE2 in the iPhone 8 format, possibly called iPhone 9. And I suppose that that can tide us over, but I don’t see what is on the other side that it tides us over to. There are three new iPhones, and none of them are of a size that I can live with. If Apple makes an iPhone 12 in a sane size then maybe that SE2 can be the bridge to that, but I don’t see any signs that they’re doing that.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm interested in what was lost.
Sub-pixel rendering.
32-bit app support, which means that not only are some great games now gone, but the basic media editing of QuickTime Pro.
OpenGL is deprecated, although it still works for now. Same for OpenCL and AL.
Most of the server features.
The firewall UI.
All the scripting languages are deprecated.
The changes to Gatekeeper are so severe that I would have to disable it to make the Mac usable, and I actually like the basic functionality of Gatekeeper that I have.

Several of these features are things that I use every day, and I have received essentially nothing new that I want. Using an iPad as an external display is nifty, but I wouldn’t ever use it other than as a diversion. APFS was supposed to be the new hotness, but Apple hasn’t implemented anything that makes use of it. Time Machine 2 with snapshots would be great, but that hasn’t been announced two years after High Sierra added APFS for Macs.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 12, 2019, 02:47 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat, though I'm stopped at Mojave. Using 2009-2011 hardware. With me, it's expansion and user control. We've discussed expansion before. On control, extra security can be OK, so long as all the keys are passed to the new owner. But Apple is keeping critical keys.

T2 chips, that cannot be replaced (except by Apple) when they fail. Rossman can swap an SMC chip from a donor logic board, to repair another. But that doesn't work with a T2 - its synced to each board. Requiring tools Apple will not provide. So 5 years (7 in California) after Apple discontinues a Mac -- if its T2 fails, you *must* buy a new Mac. No one but Apple can fix it, and Apple no longer will. Right-to-repair laws would fix the situation. Apple lobbies heavily against them in every state they're proposed.

Catalina moves the system volume to a hidden read-only partition. I've avoided iOS because the owner doesn't have filesystem access. iOS has grown into a personal computer space, but it's remained locked down. Instead of owner control migrating to it from the Mac, the poison is going the other way. Catalina isn't doing it yet, but future macOS versions will not allow kernel extensions from anyone but Apple. The owner will not have final control of their OS copy.

I don't like Windows, so I'm thinking about Linux and enthusiast logic boards, with AMD CPUs. My current MP and MBP still work, but Apple needs to shape up before I need new hardware. I'm not buying a new home, where the builder keeps all the keys to the garage & attic.

@P, the later Gatekeepers will still allow unsigned software to run, at least under the "app store & id'd developers" setting. Finder -> right-click -> open, and it will give you a dialog to open the app. If you open it that way, it should open in future without giving you grief.

Thorzdad
Nov 12, 2019, 03:01 PM

I’m pretty much permanently stuck on Mavericks and my late-2009 iMac. I still use CS5, and I’m told things start getting wonky in Yosemite (and I refuse to pay a monthly tithe to Adobe.) Safari stopped getting updates eons ago, but Firefox took over as my browser of choice long ago, so I’m good there.

The iMac still does everything I need it to do. I probably should open it up and dust it out, but I’m a little scared to do so. I’m not all that dexterous with small parts. I definitely cannot afford a new iMac, though, so upgrading is a moot point anyway.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2019, 03:39 PM

I feel like I had CS5 longer than Mavericks. I don't come close to stretching though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Nov 12, 2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
@P, the later Gatekeepers will still allow unsigned software to run, at least under the "app store & id'd developers" setting. Finder -> right-click -> open, and it will give you a dialog to open the app. If you open it that way, it should open in future without giving you grief.
I know, but that’s just turning it off for one app (and it seems likely to go away down the line anyway, from comments Apple made). If I today get a warning that “this app won’t run because it isn’t signed”, something is fishy. If you can compile your app for the Mac, you can sign it with minimal extra effort, so if it isn’t signed, that is a very good sign that something is fishy. With notarization, there are great reasons to not do that - chief among them that it costs money. That an app hasn’t been notarized isn’t fishy in itself, so that warning is no longer useful to me.

I’m also told that apps no longer get access to the desktop by default in Catalina. Is that really true? Because it just seems more insane than anything else. The desktop is in the user directory, and it is my private area. The OS does not get to say what an app can do with that.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 12, 2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Catalina moves the system volume to a hidden read-only partition.
The dumbest thing that Windows XP did (okay, not the dumbest, but one of a huuuuge number of dumb things) was to have the C drive contents hidden by default. I set up so many XP machines and every single time had to go through and unhide all of the stuff that they thought they were doing people a favor for by defaulting to hidden.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2019, 05:02 PM

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does it matter that it’s hidden if it’s read-only?

Whether making it read-only is a bad idea is another question entirely.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2019, 05:13 PM

The iPhoto/Photos library going to a single file requiring you to "Show Package Contents" to actually get at your pictures is similar, no? I don't necessarily need to write to those files, but on occasion I need to see what's in there and maybe copy something out of it and there's now and extra step.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 12, 2019, 05:42 PM

If I today get a warning that “this app won’t run because it isn’t signed”, something is fishy.
Older apps that won't get updated. Like games, or non-subscription pro tools. Or app versions before they migrated to the app store.
I’m also told that apps no longer get access to the desktop by default in Catalina. Is that really true?
I haven't tried Catalina, so not sure. I know screen-reading apps need permission to read the Desktop (the video buffer, not the folder). ie - DisplayLink software, that copies a display buffer to a USB port adapter.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The iPhoto/Photos library going to a single file requiring you to "Show Package Contents" to actually get at your pictures is similar, no? I don't necessarily need to write to those files, but on occasion I need to see what's in there and maybe copy something out of it and there's now and extra step.
I’m fine with taking the hit on outliers like that to help protect normies.

andi*pandi
Nov 14, 2019, 01:24 PM

Fine, but if you do that don't also hide the "show file in finder" option. Since Photos I have to export photos to the desktop if I want to edit them or do anything else with them.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2019, 02:18 PM

Fine, but if you do that don't also hide the "show file in finder" option. Since Photos I have to export photos to the desktop if I want to edit them or do anything else with them.
Wouldn’t “show in Finder” just give people opportunity to break the Photos library?

If I had “show in Finder”, to not break the library, wouldn’t I option-drag the photo in question to the Desktop?

andi*pandi
Nov 14, 2019, 04:36 PM

If I wanted to email, maybe, but if I wanted to upload somewhere, maybe not.
it is now a royal PITA to edit a photo in photoshop and save it back to photos. I hear an update fixes that... yeah...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2020, 11:24 PM

Cola.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2020, 05:31 PM

I don't really drink much soda, I haaaaate sparkling water, and I'm not much for coconut. But somehow this stuff (got an 8 pack for a dollar) was fantastic. Went back to the store the next day and they were sold out.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2020, 03:14 PM

Brian Urlacher’s hair.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2020, 01:14 PM

Frank Lloyd Wright.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2020, 02:28 PM

Frank Lloyd Wright.
From a practical standpoint, many of his structures were far prettier than usable. Falling Water, for example, is lovely to behold, but not at all practical to live in.

From an artistic standpoint though, he did help the evolution from Art Nouveau to Art Deco in the public eye, in ways that were both innovative and memorable.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2020, 12:38 PM

I’ll take Sullivan over Wright any day of the week.

The one thing I’ll give Wright is his draftsmanship. In fact, I’d say many of his designs work better as plans than buildings.

I may know someone who forged some.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 16, 2020, 10:33 PM

Yeah, his draftsmanship is what many of us aspired to approach. At least back in the days of pencils and drawing boards. Crisp, yet still artistic; a study in the art of the line. Sigh.

Sullivan’s ideas were art in the opposite direction. “Form follows function” was something he championed, if not founded. He would have found a way to build a house around a small waterfall that would work as a house AND be attractive. But he never needed to...

On the other hand, the decorations he used, Art Nouveau in the guise of “Celtic Revival,” made his functional architecture more than just beautiful for its functionality.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2020, 11:53 PM

Odd. I’ve always thought that Wright built on Sullivan enough that deeming one overrated in favour of the other would be a bit baby and the bathwater, no?

I don’t find Fallingwater that impractical, myself. The cramped areas in the back are not as annoying when you consider people’s heights at the time...they don’t work as well today, though. I personally think the concept of open main areas and small sleeping areas to still be the best modern approach, and I think his lines are still innovative and fresh, although improvements in glass have allowed us to open things up.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2020, 01:35 PM

Wright certainly did push the move from Nouveau to Deco in just about everything. With a fairly good dash of Arts and Crafts design thrown in. And I personally don't think of Wright as "overrated" overall. Just in some things, like Fallingwater as a realistic dwelling.

The cramped areas you mention aren't my issue. It's things like the rambling, twisty layout of the upper floor. It just doesn't "fit" with the really open main floor. It's pretty, that's for sure, but at the cost of utility. Form over function is what I see there.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2020, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Odd. I’ve always thought that Wright built on Sullivan enough that deeming one overrated in favour of the other would be a bit baby and the bathwater, no?
Wright went in such a different direction than Sullivan, I’m honestly not sure what you’re talking about.

Forum Links
Forum Rules