Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's Oct 30, 2018 Mac/iPad event

Apple's Oct 30, 2018 Mac/iPad event (Page 5)
reader50
Administrator
Oct 29, 2019, 02:50 PM

As nothing replaced it, and it still works on graphics - suggests this is a bug. Try reporting it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2019, 07:06 PM

I don’t know why, but I don’t report bugs to Apple.

I guess I’m thinking either a bug is big enough to affect Apple employees, which means they should do their goddamn job, or it isn’t, which means they’re out of ****s to give.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2019, 08:09 PM

On the other hand, the iPhone 11 Pro is decent if not mind-blowing.

Three lenses are nice. The battery finally doesn’t suck.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2019, 08:16 PM

Whoops! Wrong thread. Sorry!

OreoCookie
Oct 30, 2019, 03:19 AM

Bastards! Apple released new AirPods a month after I have bought new ones. (I needed new ones since the batteries of my old ones gave up the ghost.) I could really use active noice cancellation for my plane trips. This way, I still have to lug around my great B&O head phones.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2019, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Bastards! Apple released new AirPods a month after I have bought new ones. (I needed new ones since the batteries of my old ones gave up the ghost.) I could really use active noice cancellation for my plane trips. This way, I still have to lug around my great B&O head phones.
I actually bought my AirPods a month ago for a trip, as well, and briefly but seriously considered passing them on to my wife to splurge on the new Pros. You might want to consider that path. :-)

(I haven't caved, so far, because I don't use them enough to justify the expense.)

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2019, 06:48 PM

I bought Powerbeats Pros 2 months ago, or I’d grab the new ones too.

OreoCookie
Oct 30, 2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I actually bought my AirPods a month ago for a trip, as well, and briefly but seriously considered passing them on to my wife to splurge on the new Pros. You might want to consider that path. :-)
Unfortunately, my wife already owns a pair. She gave me the green light to get a new pair after she got fed up with me using hers. It’s really a pity: in an airplane, the Airpods aren’t good, and I really need to keep my big B&Os on my head to catch some sleep. (I just returned from Chile last night, which means about 35 hours of flight time (including layover stops, but excluding the commute from and to the airports, which easily adds another 5 hours).

mindwaves  (op)
Oct 30, 2019, 08:42 PM

To me, the only thing bad about the new Air Pods Pro is that they do not come in a floss case. I really love that design.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2019, 03:14 PM

Do we think there will be another event in the next month or so? We know there's a Mac Pro to release, and there seems to be mounting evidence of a new MacBook Pro too. New iPad Pro too?Pro event makes thematic sense.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Oct 31, 2019, 05:22 PM

I still can’t, for the life of me, see how AirPods don’t just fall out as soon as you move. I have a hard enough time keeping plain old earbuds secure in my ear.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 4, 2019, 09:07 AM

Wife can't use AirPods, they fall right out. They work great for me, I can whip my head all over and they don't move.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2019, 01:41 PM

The solution I’ve heard is to use cushioned tape as a shim. A hole punch makes the perfect size.

If your wife is into the torture type shoes, just get the tape anyway and use it as intended for blisters.

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 13, 2019, 10:26 AM

New MacBook Pro 16" out, same price as the outgoing 15" model but with a new scissors keyboard (thickness and weight slightly increased), physical escape key, and improved speakers. So sad that no SD card slot still.

I'm definitely not the target market but Apple did fix two major issues of the 15" model. Same price as the 15" model but includes 1" larger display and double base SSD storage (512 now). Seems to be a good bargain.

P
Nov 13, 2019, 10:51 AM

0.6" larger display, mostly the same CPU, new Navi GPUs, new keyboard, higher RAM ceiling (64GB), physical Esc. Seems they made all the right changes.

But can someone explain this thing about the SD-card? Because it is by far the least useful of the things they removed in 2016. It is the easiest one to replace (SD-card readers are under $1 and so common that they might as well be in cereal boxes), there are no downsides to using an adapter, there is no longer a standard size for the cards with all the different sizes flourishing, I have never seen anything that uses an SD card that cannot also be loaded with a USB cable, and their use in the world is plummeting with mobile phones removing them and DSLR sales crashing hard. If you want to complain about the USB-A port, go ahead, but the SD-card?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 13, 2019, 02:11 PM

I'll hold my opinion for the iFixit teardown. What I'd like to see is internal expansion: standard plug-in storage, standard plug-in RAM, and a battery that isn't glued in. Available pictures are not clear on the battery - there are screws, but they appear related to the trackpad rather than the battery modules. RAM and M.2 storage are not visible.

I can skip the SD card slot, but missing USB-A is a real annoyance. I'll assume the T2 chip is present, to insure Mac sales down the road.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 13, 2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
there are no downsides to using an adapter...
I have never seen anything that uses an SD card that cannot also be loaded with a USB cable
Using an adapter requires having an adapter, using a cable requires having a cable - both things that are easily lost, broken, or forgotten. You could just as easily say that there are no downsides to having a built-in SD card reader. The only downside is that even with a built-in SD reader, you still need to carry around a micro-SD to SD adapter, which kind of invalidates my argument.

My iMac had an SD reader and it was great for offloading from my GoPros. Until I accidentally missed the SD slot and shoved a card into the CD slot. Had to disassemble the whole iMac to get that one out...

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2019, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I'll hold my opinion for the iFixit teardown. What I'd like to see is internal expansion: standard plug-in storage, standard plug-in RAM, and a battery that isn't glued in. Available pictures are not clear on the battery - there are screws, but they appear related to the trackpad rather than the battery modules. RAM and M.2 storage are not visible.

I can skip the SD card slot, but missing USB-A is a real annoyance. I'll assume the T2 chip is present, to insure Mac sales down the road.
I don’t think user serviceable laptops, other than the 1” ThinkPad, are coming back. Ever.

The $2800 model with double the storage and 8 cores seems like the best bang for your buck, especially with the +4GB RAM GPU option at a mere $100.

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 14, 2019, 01:13 AM

0.6" larger display, mostly the same CPU, new Navi GPUs, new keyboard, higher RAM ceiling (64GB), physical Esc. Seems they made all the right changes.

But can someone explain this thing about the SD-card? Because it is by far the least useful of the things they removed in 2016. It is the easiest one to replace (SD-card readers are under $1 and so common that they might as well be in cereal boxes), there are no downsides to using an adapter, there is no longer a standard size for the cards with all the different sizes flourishing, I have never seen anything that uses an SD card that cannot also be loaded with a USB cable, and their use in the world is plummeting with mobile phones removing them and DSLR sales crashing hard. If you want to complain about the USB-A port, go ahead, but the SD-card?
I'm not the target market but a lot of professionals with DSLR cameras do use SD cards. Would be nice to easily import pictures without an added cable, which is easily lost or forgotten, even if you have some lying around.

Also, this is a large laptop. Seems like they could have used the space to add something in instead of a blank slab. It isn't like they only had a 5" screen to work with and claim that they needed space to remove the headphone jack.

New MBP has 1mm of key travel. Old model only has 0.5mm. Got to be able to tell the difference. Old laptop wasn't bad to me, but wasn't good. It was also NOISY. Will try the new one soon (but no plans on buying).
( Last edited by mindwaves; Nov 14, 2019 at 05:08 AM. )

P
Nov 14, 2019, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
This is a lost cause by now. RAM is soldered because Apple want sto use LPDDR, which doesn't have DIMMS. This specific model has regular DDR, but that is because Intel's support for LPDDR4 is delayed until Ice Lake/Comet Lake, which doesn't have a 45W model yet, and they clearly want to return to LPDDR. Storage is soldered because the controller is in the T2 chip. That could change down the line, but I see no indications that it will.

I can skip the SD card slot, but missing USB-A is a real annoyance.
Agree!
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Nov 14, 2019, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Using an adapter requires having an adapter, using a cable requires having a cable - both things that are easily lost, broken, or forgotten. You could just as easily say that there are no downsides to having a built-in SD card reader. The only downside is that even with a built-in SD reader, you still need to carry around a micro-SD to SD adapter, which kind of invalidates my argument.

My iMac had an SD reader and it was great for offloading from my GoPros. Until I accidentally missed the SD slot and shoved a card into the CD slot. Had to disassemble the whole iMac to get that one out...
The downside is that the SD-card reader takes up space in the MBP, and it is a feature that is used by a shrinking minority (=people who use DSLRs). I get that you need to have an adapter around, but you just put it in the bag with the camera in that case. SD-cards made more sense when they were used a little bit more widely, but the only real use case that remains is DSLRs.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2019, 10:45 AM

The downside is that the SD-card reader takes up space in the MBP, and it is a feature that is used by a shrinking minority (=people who use DSLRs). I get that you need to have an adapter around, but you just put it in the bag with the camera in that case. SD-cards made more sense when they were used a little bit more widely, but the only real use case that remains is DSLRs.
…which are just as easily hooked up to the laptop directly via a USB-C to mini-USB cable.

At least, that's what we do around here.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2019, 12:07 PM

I’ve got a “cord keeper” bag to go with my laptop. Has a charger, USB-C dongles and a card reader.

OreoCookie
Nov 14, 2019, 08:45 PM

Yes. Two months ago or so the wifi module of my 13" MacBook Pro decided to die, so I am due for an update. I wanted to hold out for the first ARM-based Mac laptops, but I don't want to wait that long. I'd prefer a 14" model, but after having owned 13" notebooks for two generations, I am tempted to check out larger laptops.

Oh, and apparently my Apple Cinema Display decided to die (it won't turn on), bummer. Seems like I am not very lucky when it comes to technology this year.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2019, 09:42 AM

Yes. Two months ago or so the wifi module of my 13" MacBook Pro decided to die, so I am due for an update. I wanted to hold out for the first ARM-based Mac laptops, but I don't want to wait that long. I'd prefer a 14" model, but after having owned 13" notebooks for two generations, I am tempted to check out larger laptops.

Oh, and apparently my Apple Cinema Display decided to die (it won't turn on), bummer. Seems like I am not very lucky when it comes to technology this year.
Buying a new Laptop because the wifi module died is like buying a new car because the ashtray is full!
The wifi module in the new 16" MBP is the only thing I would criticize - it's not yet a WiFi6 module!

OreoCookie
Nov 18, 2019, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Buying a new Laptop because the wifi module died is like buying a new car because the ashtray is full!
The wifi module in the new 16" MBP is the only thing I would criticize - it's not yet a WiFi6 module!
Well, but since the WiFi chip is soldered onto the motherboard, they’d have to change the entire logic board. I don’t think this is worth it for a 4-year old machine.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2019, 05:56 AM

Well, but since the WiFi chip is soldered onto the motherboard, they’d have to change the entire logic board. I don’t think this is worth it for a 4-year old machine.
Yes, sure. That's the big problem with soldered modules...but if that's the ONLY reason why you would buy a new laptop, a USB stick solution may be a quick and cheap workaround!

I have a similar problem with my gaming PC. The motherboard is now 5 years old and the WiFi module is mini-PCI-e (if I remember that right). I don't use it anymore because I have way too much package loss with it. Don't know why! Driver updates didn't solve the problem and I can't get rid of it since months! A new WiFi6 module from Intel is just 25 Euros but all new modules are M.2 and I would also have to buy an adapter. Don't know if adapter + M.2 module would still fit and work. Best solution would be a new motherboard...plus new processor...plus new RAM...AHHHH **** it...a new computer!

P
Nov 19, 2019, 07:44 AM

Have you considered a USB Wifi dongle to tide you over?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2019, 08:31 AM

Which 13" is it? Are you sure the wifi is soldered?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2019, 07:02 AM

Is this question adressed to me or Oreo?

In my case, Yes, I already bought an "Asus USB-AC68 AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi USB Stick" about a year ago after I changed my ISP contract to a 1GBit connection. That Asus stick was the best I could find when just looking at the tech specs but it didn't work as advertised and I returned it. That's an experience I had with every single Asus product so far and I not buying from this company anymore!
I continued to use my internal WiFi module (Intel 7260) without problems but this module isn't fast enough if you really want to enjoy 1GBit connections.
My huge package loss problems started after all this!!
It seems to be an Intel related problem because I also have two ethernet ports at the back of my gaming PC - one is Intel and one is Qualcomm. The Intel port has the same package loss problems asthe WiFi connection but the Qualcomm one works well!
The Intel drivers are uptodate. No idea what else I could do. That's why I would now like to get a new WiFi6 M.2 module....or even a complete new motherboard since it's time to get a faster processor anyway...

OreoCookie
Nov 20, 2019, 10:58 AM

I bought one, but didn’t pay attention before upgrading to Catalina. I don’t have drivers for it yet. But even when it was working, the experience wasn’t as smooth. Also, it wasn’t smooth sailing, I had problems with disconnects and having to manually connect to WiFi networks after waking my Mac.

Another reason is corporate and quite stupid: I can’t save my grant money as per regulations, so I’d have to get a machine until March.

Forum Links
Forum Rules