Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 29, 2019, 10:35 AM

Got one for Christmas. Anyone played with them? Any fun project ideas? I see lots of retro gaming consoles, NAS setups, VPN boxes, magic mirrors. Thinking about using it as a car dashboard using a 12.3" 1920x720 display.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2019, 12:15 PM

I got one specifically to make it an AirPrint server. It worked great. Except my laser printer needed an Intel-only driver, and since the Raspberry Pi has an ARM processor, that didn’t work out. I wound up with a refurb Dell USFF machine I put Linux on just for that. But like a lot of computer projects, it didn’t stay “just for that.”

At the moment I’m working on a project to collect local weather data from NWS and crowd sources (like Weather Underground). I may wind up mapping the data if I can get a handle on graphics...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves
Dec 30, 2019, 03:32 AM

I would like to, but I'm too old to tinker with such things now. I rather buy something ready made and feature purpose than to create something new. That and I'm a poor coder.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2019, 03:31 PM

I picked one up to play video at our live shows, but we stopped doing live shows right around the time I got it, so unfortunately it’s been collecting dust.

Edit: we need video playback on this current project, so I considered pulling it out. It’s to an old, black and white SD TV, and I would have found squeezing an HD signal from a Pi through an SD antenna adapter highly amusing.

Ultimately though, I decided it was less headache to use a DVD player.

andi*pandi
Jan 2, 2020, 01:12 PM

kid got one a few years ago. Aside from making some little python games for it, he never got very ambitious. Not sure where it is now.

P
Jan 6, 2020, 08:45 PM

Got one a while back intending to make a magic mirror, but I got bored.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules