Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > is the 5G iPod More Reliable than the 4G one?

is the 5G iPod More Reliable than the 4G one?
techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2006, 02:43 PM

I have gone through three 4G 40GB iPods...all while under warranty, but now the 3rd and final one has crapped out, I tried replugging in the hard disk as instructed at a few DIY disassembly sites, but now the thing won't charge and when I plug it into the dock of my computer it causes the Monitor of my Mac Mini to go black...take it out of the dock, screen comes back, either way does not charge, even when I plug it into the wall it no longer charges...it's pretty much b0rked. Since I can't stand the radio the lack of an iPod is killing me, I want to get a new one but I want to make sure it won't suffer the same fate as my last one. I would get an iPod Nano, since I think flash memory would be a bit more duriable than a traditional ide disk, but I have more music than it can hold. So are the 5G iPods more reliable than the 4G ones?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 02:48 PM

I don't think anyone can really answer that question, but I haven't heard about them being particularly unreliable.

techweenie1  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2006, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I don't think anyone can really answer that question, but I haven't heard about them being particularly unreliable.
Well I did some searching on my own and came up with this

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/ipodfailures.html

Originally Posted by (Taken from the Reliability Report)
"The 40 GB Click Wheel iPod appears to have been a lemon. With a failure rate more than two standard deviations above average, it's the indisputable problem child of the iPod family. Many readers reported going through three to five of them before the 1 year warranty expired and Apple refused further replacements. Not all 40 GB iPods were so unreliable -- the 40 GB Photo was near the average failure rate -- so we don't know quite what the problem was. However, we think it's telling that Apple currently offers a 30 GB and not a 40 GB iPod."
So I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy a new 5G one

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2006, 04:28 AM

Interesting. I've never owned a 4G iPod, but my experiences with my 5G have been positive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules