Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How to open a FREECOM Classic SL USB 250gb drive and remove the HDD from the case.

How to open a FREECOM Classic SL USB 250gb drive and remove the HDD from the case.
tedgrant2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2012, 08:15 PM

Some people, I notice, have been having trouble trying to open one of these drives. I should say first, you shouldn't do it if you want to keep the option of returning it to the supplier. That said, here is my answer to one of the people having trouble....

You said you couldn't get the ends off the case. I've just done that ! On mine, there are four screws on the bottom, one of which was covered by the sticker you described in your original post. There are also four black "spots" on the sides of the case. At first, I thought the black spots were tiny screws, so I tried removing one. When I pressed hard to get a good grip in the "screw", it sank inwards a little and the black end nearest to the spot flipped off a bit. I realized, they weren't screws at all, but little black pips on the plastic underneath and when pushed in, release the springy plastic fixings. After repeating the push on the other side, the end was free to be removed. The other end came away using the same method and I could see inside the ends on the case. However, the inside still refused to slide out. I then tried removing one of the rubber feet with a small flat screw driver. I could the see the foot was stuck to the inner casing through an oval hole. Removing all the feet, allowed the inside to slide out. It was then a simple matter to remove an inner metal cover, revealing the connectors to the HDD. I have got the HDD detached and ready to fit inside my PC!

Forum Links
Forum Rules