Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is this a dumb question?

Is this a dumb question?
Tiresias
Jun 5, 2008, 09:54 AM

You are standing under the spinning rotors of a large helicopter. There is no wind, other than that generated by the helicopter. It is raining. Do you get wet?

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2008, 09:58 AM

Yes

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 5, 2008, 09:59 AM

Dumb question? Wet? Don't leave me hanging like that!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 10:01 AM

My opinion is worth jack, but I say yes.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 10:02 AM

I would say he means wet. Where is the rotor going to pull air that doesn't have any moisture in it?

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 10:04 AM

From the sky above AND from the ground below?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 10:05 AM

Doesn't the helicopter accelerate the downward flow of air? It's not like it's blowing the air upward, which could possibly deflect the rain.

Or, is your question whether the blades are going so fast that a rain drop couldn't possibly get through without hitting a blade?

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 5, 2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Doesn't the helicopter accelerate the downward flow of air?
Might the water still be deflected? Like trying to squirt a water pistol through an electric fan—could you wet someone sitting behind it? in front of it?

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 10:14 AM

No, but you could wet somebody sitting in front of it.

I can see how the bulk of water might impact with the blades and be flung outwards, but I'm sure enough moisture comes down to get you wet.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 10:18 AM

This is almost as bad as the "Will a plane take off if it's on a treadmill". BTW, did you all see that Myth Busters proved once and for all that a plane WILL take off if it's on a treadmill?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
This is almost as bad as the "Will a plane take off if it's on a treadmill". BTW, did you all see that Myth Busters proved once and for all that a plane WILL take off if it's on a treadmill?
All I saw was 'mythbusters' changing the premise of the question so it would be answered the way they wanted it to be answered.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 10:46 AM

imo Mythbusters has gone downhill the past season or so. Sorry, but it has become pure Hollywood schlock.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
imo Mythbusters has gone downhill the past season or so. Sorry, but it has become pure Hollywood schlock.
I don't feel they're entirely to blame though. I think they took the original premise as far as it could go. Now all that's left is exploring the illusion of Hollywood science.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2008, 10:53 AM

Ok, so lets assume the helicopter is sitting on a huge treadmill, which speeds up whenever a nearby ant farts OR if the groundhog sees his shadow after extending winter for 6 weeks. If it begins to rain, and a tree falls over in the woods, does the rabbit trapped under the fallen tree make a sound if no one is there to see him? Oh, and is this a dumb question?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
All I saw was 'mythbusters' changing the premise of the question so it would be answered the way they wanted it to be answered.
Actually, Mythbusters got it right, in the sense that while it's theoretically possible for the plane not to be able to take off on a treadmill, it's not realistic. You'd need an enormous treadmill in order to deny airstream over the plane's wings and that just isn't gonna happen.

To answer the abovw question, you'd still get wet. In fact, you'd get soaked, but instead of the water just coming straight down it would be coming at you from all sides.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 5, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
Ok, so lets assume the helicopter is sitting on a huge treadmill...
So far so good. I'm already smiling...

which speeds up whenever a nearby ant farts OR if the groundhog sees his shadow after extending winter for 6 weeks. If it begins to rain, and a tree falls over in the woods, does the rabbit trapped under the fallen tree make a sound if no one is there to see him? Oh, and is this a dumb question?
Epic humor fail.

This post reminds me of a sprinter clearing the first hurdle, only to plough violently into the next, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that...

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
So far so good.

Epic fail.

This post reminds me of a sprinter clearing the first hurdle, only to plough violently into the next, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that...
Awesome! Thats about how your question made me feel

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 11:01 AM

You are standing under the spinning rotors of a large helicopter. There is no wind, other than that generated by the helicopter. It is raining. Do you get wet?
How many RPM are the main rotors doing? How many main rotor blades?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I don't feel they're entirely to blame though. I think they took the original premise as far as it could go. Now all that's left is exploring the illusion of Hollywood science.
The premise is fine - I love what they do. But it's the stringing out and mindless banter in-between that kills me.
The show would be about 10 minutes long if you were to cut the fat out.

Exploring Hollywood science would be a winner!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
The premise is fine - I love what they do. But it's the stringing out and mindless banter in-between that kills me.
The show would be about 10 minutes long if you were to cut the fat out.
True, true. They also seem to require model tests for everything now. Was it always that way?

I really hated it for a while there where it seemed like they weren't allowed to "call it" at the testing ground, but wait for the blue table.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 11:09 AM

True, true. They also seem to require model tests for everything now. Was it always that way?
They've explained the model tests before. The big reason is the model tests save them money and time, as they can weed out anything which clearly doesn't work and concentrate on what does.

But let's be truthful here: we all know why we watch the show.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
They've explained the model tests before. The big reason is the model tests save them money and time, as they can weed out anything which clearly doesn't work and concentrate on what does.

But let's be truthful here: we all know why we watch the show.
That makes sense if what they're trying to do is expensive. But for something like the Knight Rider one, the model test pretty much negated the need for a real test. What could possibly change?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 11:17 AM

That makes sense if what they're trying to do is expensive. But for something like the Knight Rider one, the model test pretty much negated the need for a real test. What could possibly change?
Just because it works in the model doesn't mean it works in the real world. The models serve to weed out the stuff which clearly won't work at all. Once you narrow it down, it's time to see how it works in real life. The physics can be sinificantly different.

Additionally, the models halp with safety. Fr'instance, if the model for the Knight Rider stunt had shwn the car catapauled straight through the cab of the semi, they would've known they were facing real danger.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2008, 11:19 AM

Maybe the Mythbusters can determine if the OPs question was dumb?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
There are two possible interpretations of the "plane on a treadmill" question. The one Myth Busters picked and another one which is a logical paradox. Since the latter one is impossible to test, they picked the only possible premise.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 11:29 AM

Is this a dumb question?
Yes, definitely

-t

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 11:29 AM

Just because it works in the model doesn't mean it works in the real world. The models serve to weed out the stuff which clearly won't work at all. Once you narrow it down, it's time to see how it works in real life. The physics can be sinificantly different.
I agree in principle, but not for this experiment. Further, did they conduct scale test when they smashed that car with two tractor trailers simultaneously?

Additionally, the models halp with safety. Fr'instance, if the model for the Knight Rider stunt had shwn the car catapauled straight through the cab of the semi, they would've known they were facing real danger.
I understand why it's done. I don't agree it needs to be done for every experiment.

There was no reason to suspect some kind of trickery from an 80s network show. Which is what made the scale test such a farce.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 11:37 AM

There was no reason to suspect some kind of trickery from an 80s network show. Which is what made the scale test such a farce.
It may also be a money saving meaure put in Discovery, who may have told them they have to model test every scenario first to cut down on build times. It could also be a stipulation from the insurance company, for safety reasons. I know they've had a number of problems with their insurers.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 12:55 PM

Either way, the point is, it's not always interesting, but they always use it as filler. It's not they they do it, it's that they air it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 01:38 PM

Ah, this is simple. You have the V-22 Osprey rotate its rotors until it crashes, then the water from the fire hose makes you wet.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 5, 2008, 02:23 PM

The Osprey is an interesting-looking machine. Why don't they build one with jet-engines?

Anyway, to conclude: If the time it takes a drop of rain to pass through the rotors' plane of rotation is greater than the time it takes the rotors to complete half a rotation (or a quarter, in the case of a helicopter with four rotors) then every drop of rain will be scattered. However, one will still get wet from the moisture-laden wind and downdraft.

There. You are now free to devote the thread to mocking my stupidity with plane-on-treadmill jokes.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 04:12 PM

What if it's in a vacuum?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Railroader
Banned
Jun 5, 2008, 07:08 PM

An African swallow or European swallow?

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 5, 2008, 08:19 PM

I'd say you'd get a little wet.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:53 PM

...the time it takes a drop of rain to pass through the rotors' plane of rotation...
Well, the thing is the rain is not going to be falling at its normal rate when it gets close to the helicopter rotors. It will speed up tremendously because the air is moving so fast (downward).

My first thought was that here is no way a drop of rain is going to be flung sideways by a rotating blade at a 90 degree angle to the force of the downward wind. And of course the blades are designed to deflect down.

But, just possibly, the ground effects (which make helicopter thrust more effective close to the ground) just might do such a thing since the air has to change direction in close proximity to the ground.

But then, inertia of the heavier rain would tend to keep it going to the ground.

Yeah, you get wet.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Kevin Dunahee
Jun 5, 2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
An African swallow or European swallow?
Oh, well even I don't know that. *gets ripped by an unseen force into the distance*

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 11:43 PM

Actually, in order for the helicopter to be stationary but with the rotors spinning, the blades are simply pitched so as to not produce much lift, so you will be getting a lot wetter when the helicopter tries to take off and really starts throwing air down at you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules