Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Can the red button quit the app? Help!

Can the red button quit the app? Help!
macbuddha1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2003, 08:30 PM

Has anyone come up with a hack to make OS X do this? I am a teacher, and I am proud to say I have gotten five of my fellow teachers to "switch" to OS X! However, with most of them being former Windoze people, the biggest problem they have is never quitting ANYTHING! They just hit the red "close" button and assume that it has Quit! Next thing I know, they are calling me for help. I try to tell them that their little iBook 600 might have some trouble running Photoshop 7, Internet Explorer, Entourage, MS Word, Appleworks and who knows what else all at the same time! But old habits are hard to break, and this one seems to be the WORST! They just can't stop it. So I give up. Can someone please make a hack to make the red button actually quit your programs instead of just closing the window? Or is this just impossible? Hackers, please help!
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 08:37 PM

Windows people.... That's one of the stupidest parts of Windows, why would anyone, in their right mind, do that for Mac? You'd have to reopen a program evry time you just want to close a window. It's just something you need to get used to on a Mac. They should get used to seeing what's still open in the dock. Or there's a "launch bar" (think that's what they call it on Windows) program you can get for OS X, it might make them feel more at home. I can't remember what it's called though....
click one

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2003, 08:59 PM

I agree with NetworkShadow.

Simply tell them "Command + Q".

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 09:06 PM

The beauty of X is that is shouldn't really matter that much. Open apps don't tax resources lke they way 9... or even Windows does.

Unless your colleagues are leaving a massive amount of apps open in the background (and that for some reaon suck resources) aside from a messy Dock, it isn't that big of a deal.

A Peeve, maybe. But not a big deal

If there is a draw back it may be that a new app window does not always pop up when you click the Dock icon if there are none open.

Z

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 12:39 AM

There is something like terminateApplicationAfterLastWindow or something that some apps have. I am sure an ape or something could simply make every app use that... Maybe you'd have better luck posting in the dev forum?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 07:02 AM

Let them leave the apps all open. That is one of the magic things about OSX. It's not like OS9 where each app was blocking out memory for itself. We actually have a memory manager now! They are using OSX in a more advanced manner than you without even knowing it and you are telling them to quit everything for no reason!!!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

macbuddha1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2003, 09:18 PM

Good to hear from many of the veterans out there. I never thought of it that way, but I suppose you guys are right. With memory manager, they can just float in perpetual application heaven. And perhaps I will try the dev forum, too, just for my own peace of mind!
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 09:32 PM

This is more of a "software" request than anything... so it's moved...

Mac Guru

Apr 23, 2003, 10:08 PM

Actually this isn't uniform throughout OS X.

For instance pressing the red button doesn't quit iCal, but pressing the red button quits Calculator (which is really annoying because you lose recent conversions cache).

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2003, 01:22 AM

It has to be built into the app to quit when the main window is closed. I believe old SoundJam's had an option for it.

[strike]Calculator probably quits because it is the only window in the app. I guess most of apples other app are too, but all well.[/strike]

I guess you're right... this is damn inconsistent! The interface guidelines were created to make things uniform and easy to understand. Maybe this is somewhere apple could improve upon? Feedback time!

wreks
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2003, 12:19 AM

I'd recommend installing liteswitch. Hit control-tab and it shows your running apps, tab through hitting 'q' and it will quit what you want. It also does alot more but that's mostly what I use it for.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2003, 01:32 AM

Erm, on a slow computer, having multiple applications open can overall slow down the computer. OS X isn't as magical as you may think. At least on the slow computers I've used (Beige G4/550, iBook/500, Beige G3/466)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2003, 09:26 AM

as soon as i saw this subject line i knew it had something to do with switchers.

when i first got my ibook and actually got to use osX on a full time basis, i thought that the thing with clicking on close and the program not closing was very annoying.

now, i love it. say you have acquisition downloading something, close the window and get rid of all the acquisition windows but it still stays in the dock running, and downloading and doing everything it was. i feel _upset_ when some programs close the whole program when i click close.

APPLE + W = close window
APPLE + Q = close app

Forum Links
Forum Rules