Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cody, we need no banner krack for AIM 4.5.947!

Cody, we need no banner krack for AIM 4.5.947!
iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 08:47 PM

Thanx!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 5, 2002, 08:55 PM

Why not use iChat...or Adium...or Proteus...or Fire...or all the better alternatives.

It's almost like letting someone into a dining room...and on the table there's Canard a l'Orange, a thick juicy hamburger, and massive double fudge sundae, veal, and a pile of ****. And the person goes straight for the pile of **** and slams his head in it.

Well...enjoy the ****, mister. I'm just trying to show you the alternatives.

edit: yes, **** = sh!t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2002, 09:01 PM

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 09:27 PM

Us people who do use AIM, have already tried the 'alternatives' but don't like them due to not enough features and so PC people don't make fun of you and your mac because you dont have buddy icons or file transfer or colored profiles. So it's your preference if you consider the alternatives "better".

snerdini
Senior User
Dec 5, 2002, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
Why not use iChat...or Adium...or Proteus...or Fire...or all the better alternatives.

It's almost like letting someone into a dining room...and on the table there's Canard a l'Orange, a thick juicy hamburger, and massive double fudge sundae, veal, and a pile of ****. And the person goes straight for the pile of **** and slams his head in it.

Dude, you should seriously write a book. It would be funny as ****.

foobars
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 09:32 PM

File transfer, buddy icons, profiles, viewing away messages.

I agree that the application itself sucks but just because that doens't make a Cocoa app automatically "better". It has features no other client will ever have. Simple as that.

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by foobars:
It has features no other client will ever have. Simple as that.
Exactly.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
Us people who do use AIM, have already tried the 'alternatives' but don't like them due to not enough features and so PC people don't make fun of you and your mac because you dont have buddy icons or file transfer or colored profiles. So it's your preference if you consider the alternatives "better".
Don't chat with PC people. It will ruin your manners.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 10:17 PM

Okay, give me some time to work on it tonight. I'll also post the site again..
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 10:44 PM

I beat Cody to it but I'll let him post his up first. (If you use the old ones, it breaks the preferences.) /AOL Instant Messanger (SM)/Resources/English.lprog/Local Resources.rsrc is where they hid it this time around

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 5, 2002, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by foobars:

File transfer, buddy icons, profiles, viewing away messages.

I agree that the application itself sucks but just because that doens't make a Cocoa app automatically "better". It has features no other client will ever have. Simple as that.
iChat has all those except profiles.

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 11:12 PM

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 11:14 PM

Who knew sh*t inspired all those great meals....since all those meals are derivatives of the sh*t. Your metaphor makes little sense, calling AIM a Mcdonald's burger would've been better.Mcdonald is crap.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 11:22 PM

You all use Constructor to change the resources right? I don't have a new version of codewarrior so I'm using version 2.5.2 of Constructor, which won't open these new rsrc files. Do you need CodeWarrior 8 for this?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 11:33 PM

I use A combination of Quick Convert and ResEdit (The only reason I keep Classic hanging around)

foobars
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 12:06 AM

iChat has all those except profiles.
And groups.

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 12:29 AM

A couple points I wanted to address:

I use ResEdit for all my hacking.
AND...

What the heck is wrong with AIM? It's quick, and can do direct image connects and file transfers. It's also got GROUPS, something iChat SORELY lacks. Once you use my hack, you don't need to worry about banners, so....

I guess I'm not seeing a problem with AIMX at all.

Speaking of hacks, I've finished the patch tonight, and am releasing it upon the world. You can find it at: http://www.bluebomber.com/aimx/

I changed the URL from last time, but I won't again. It will remain there for good.

If you have any problems with it, please feel free to comment on them here.

iRebound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 12:31 AM

Adium and Proteus doesn't have the File Sharing or IM Image feature. That's why i don't use it. I send images over the IM a lot and most of my buddies uses PC. I do a lot of chatting.

iChat doesn't have buddy groups, profiles, and sometimes the IM Image doesn't work correctly. There's also no different views settings for chat rooms. You can't choose to view buddies by name or alias because when your buddies are in your address book, it shows up as their name on your buddy list. Plus some other little annoying buys.

So now you see why AIM is right for me.

OpenStep
Senior User
Dec 6, 2002, 12:33 AM

I thought someone awhile ago said that 3rd party aim clients connect to a different aim server than the offical clients. Is this the way it still works with iChat?

yukon
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 12:37 AM

A. it's illegal (i don't care)
B. there are better options.

let the PC users use their crap, theres even a minimal one for them on versiontracker. use adium if you have to use AIM, or use something better.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

iRebound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 12:39 AM

thanx for the quick krack cody!

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
A. it's illegal (i don't care)
B. there are better options.

let the PC users use their crap, theres even a minimal one for them on versiontracker. use adium if you have to use AIM, or use something better.

Something better....

You mean, like a banner-hacked AIMX? :P

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
I use A combination of Quick Convert and ResEdit (The only reason I keep Classic hanging around)
Could you tell me where I could find a copy of quick convert? I used to have it but I can't find it...

yukon
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 07:23 PM

no, like a fast stable non-bloatware POS that you actually have to crack.

but if you enjoy it, do so ;-)
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Dec 6, 2002, 08:08 PM

um all the feutures listed above that you guys say the alternitives cant do ichat can do you just dont know how to use the app plus ao is a very evil company.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 08:17 PM

ahh! AOL! my eyes!!

foobars
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by MacManMikeOSX:
um all the feutures listed above that you guys say the alternitives cant do ichat can do you just dont know how to use the app plus ao is a very evil company.
1) no groups
2) no self profile
3) worst interface out of any client

Hawkeye
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2002, 12:10 PM

I'm sorry. I'm stupid and can't use iChat:

- Would you please explain how to set up groups?

- Would you please explain how I set my profile?

- Can you please explain how I would make iChat show me exactly which users are away and which users are idle?

- How do I Direct Instant Message over iChat?

vasu
Senior User
Dec 7, 2002, 04:25 PM

My big problem with iChat is concerning people being away.

Most of the time the people that are away simply show up as being idle, and I can't see their away messages.

And if I want to see someone's away message without IMing them, I have to get info on them, and the field for the away message is tiny and has no scroll bars!

If they just fixed that, and added groups, I'd be a big fan of iChat. I'd make sweet love to it down by the fire.

-vasu

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Dec 7, 2002, 05:43 PM

Concerning your last two: first of all away and idle have differnt colored dots net to the sn red for away yellow for idle. To direct IM drag a picture or file into the ichat text box from the desktop and hit return and magicaly a direct IM starts.

Hawkeye
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2002, 11:36 PM

Concerning your last two: first of all away and idle have differnt colored dots net to the sn red for away yellow for idle. To direct IM drag a picture or file into the ichat text box from the desktop and hit return and magicaly a direct IM starts.
1. I'm not stupid, that was sarcasm before. I know that yellow dots are "Idle" and red dots are "Away." I'm saying that iChat does not accurately display a Buddy's status. Closer inspection will show that not all of your Buddies who are "Idle" are Idle. Many of them have set away messages. Watch closely and sometimes a Buddy will shift from "Away" to "Idle." This behavior is impossible.

2. Your solution for Direct IM is a workaround, not a feature. Direct IM is not just for inline photos. Are you saying that everytime I want to chat directly, I must send my friend a picture or a file? That's rediculous.

3. I agree with the gentleman above (see "sweet love down by the fire"). iChat has problems. It's not finished. Many people who still use AOL's client do so because iChat doesn't work probably. Many, including myself, will happily switch over when iChat fixes these few problems. But we don't use AOL's client because we don't know how to use iChat. Your saying so is an insult.

iRebound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 03:46 AM

if you doesn't chat regularly and don't really need the features that AIM have then iChat, Proteus, or Adium will do for you.

but for me, i do a lot of chatting and most of the time i use direct IM. direct IM is not only for sending pics but you can send longer text with it also. that's why i use AIM.

the only thing i like about iChat is the bubbles. until iChat fixes all the bugs and add the features that the current AIM have, i'll start using iChat full time.

I know Apple will add features to iChat and probably gonna make it better than AIM. But right now it's a 1.0 app. Look at iTunes 1.0, at first it didn't even have a simple feature such as EQ. Like iChat doesn't have Profiles and Groups. Now look at iTunes 3, it's one of the best and the easiest mp3 player out there and i can't wait until they add rendezvous support.

Forum Links
Forum Rules