Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Talk some sense into me!

Talk some sense into me!
Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2003, 02:01 PM

I have a 15" 1GHz TiBook w/ a gig of ram, and this machine is very nice.

But at work I have the new 12" powerbook, and I love it! I like the keys better, I like that it feels more sturdy when I'm holding onto the end of it to carry it around (I tend to "baby" my own powerbook, as I'm trying to avoid keyboard marks on the screen, breaking the hinges and whatnot).

Has anyone else made this upgrade from 15" Ti to 15" Aluminum? Is it any different (faster, sturdier, etc.)?

I also hate wires & I hate plugging things into the BACK of my computer (it's usually used on my lap), and I'm dying for Bluetooth to use with a mouse & my palm pilot...

Can you see my mania?!? I'm talking myself into this purchase with no rational thought!!

Help!

TerryJ
Senior User
Dec 20, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hey Big-C,

I know exactly what you're going thru! I moved from a Ti 667 DVI to a Ti 1Ghz this past summer, but when the 15" AlBooks came out I had to have one. I sold my Ti and bought an Al 15" 1.25/512/80/SD/AE and I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this thing! As nice as the Ti is, the Al is a much more sturdy feeling machine all around. I use my PB at both my home office and my business office and I always worried about taking my Ti on the road even though I have a great Kensington Saddlebag. The hinges had me worried and I also got tired of dealing with the ports in the back. True, they keep the cables out of sight, but realistically, that's a minor difference when compared to the convenience of having them that much closer and more accessible on the sides plus not dealing with that little door flap when you're using your PB on your lap.
This might sound a little strange, but I've been thinking lately about selling my 15" and going with a 12". I really don't do a ton of huge graaphics intensive stuff, mostly just still image editing for my business and web work, e-mail and mostly iApps. The 1.25 15" is just more than I need, but the aluminum construction and the new keyboard plus all the other refinements have definitely hit the target with being a far superior desing, no matter what size, 12", 15" or 17"
Hope this helps!

Big-C  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2003, 03:30 PM

That's good enough for me - I'm ordering!

Happy Holidays (I know I'll enjoy them!!)

TerryJ
Senior User
Dec 20, 2003, 04:01 PM

Cool!

I'm sure you'll love your new AlBook!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules