Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Taking my iTunes from old Mac to new

Taking my iTunes from old Mac to new
Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2004, 03:30 AM

Just bought a new 12" PowerBook, and would like to get all of my songs, ratings and playcounts from my iMac to the new laptop. How do I go about doing this. Keep in mind that I do have an external 80 gig fw drive, and they are both on the same network, although I have no networking experience. Thanks!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2004, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by Frumpy:
Just bought a new 12" PowerBook, and would like to get all of my songs, ratings and playcounts from my iMac to the new laptop. How do I go about doing this. Keep in mind that I do have an external 80 gig fw drive, and they are both on the same network, although I have no networking experience. Thanks!
If you transfer these files to the new computer you should be ok.

-your entire itunes folder. It should be in user/documents/itunes folder. Make sure you also grab the two files that are not your music. I think they end in xml

-and from /library/preferences something like com.apple.plist.itunes

I have not used os x in a year so I could be wrong. I would use firewire target disk mode thing for the swap.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 05:02 AM

/Users/<YourName>/Music/iTunes/

not Documents, Music.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2004, 12:17 PM

Actually, I'm going to need step by step instructions for this. I really want to use the FW drive, but i need to know what to put where and how to get the right info into the new itunes on the PowerBook. Thanks!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 12:53 PM

1) Attach FW Drive
2) Drag your entire Home/Music folder to the drive
3) Plug drive into new computer
4) Drag entire Music folder's contents to the Home/Music folder on new computer
5) There's no step 5

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2004, 01:14 PM

Alright, but how do i get the information into iTunes? Drag it in? Import? And are there any of those "advanced" settings in preferences that i should be turning off?

anticon
May 22, 2004, 02:08 PM

I think you just need to open iTunes on the new computer and it will detect the new iTunes folder you copied to your music folder. If it doesn't then go to the iTunes preferences and change the path to the folder in the advanced tab.

Forum Links
Forum Rules