Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > CallerID with the Mac modem? US tester required

CallerID with the Mac modem? US tester required
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 07:55 AM

Hi,

I spotted this on another forum - and am keen to know if it works.

Apparently there is some OpenSource software which allows you to get caller-id info on your mac.

I've installed it - and it caught the rings - but not the caller-id.

I would like to know if this is because the code only handles US CID (I'm in the UK) - or whether this is because the built-in mac modem does not handle CID (which I was lead to believe historically.)

You will need the developers tools to compile the source:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=82355

This is what I got: (I am in the UK and have a PowerBook 1GHz )
Code:
host-212-158-229-85:~/Incoming/Web/ncid diggory$ sudo pico /usr/local/etc/ncidd.conf host-212-158-229-85:~/Incoming/Web/ncid diggory$ ncidd -Dv Configured to send 'cidlog' to clients. Configured to send 'cidinfo' to clients. Processed config file: /usr/local/etc/ncidd.conf CID logfile: /var/log/cidcall.log Modem logfile: /var/log/cidmodem.log Modem port opened: /dev/cu.modem Modem lock file: /var/lock/LCK..cu.modem Modem control signals enabled AT Z S0=0 E1 V1 Q0 OK Modem initialized. AT+VCID=1 OK Modem set for CallerID. RING CIDINFO: *RING*1* RING CIDINFO: *RING*2* RING CIDINFO: *RING*3* RING CIDINFO: *RING*4* CIDINFO: *RING*0*
Anyone in the US want to test it?

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 07:30 AM

Nobody want to test?

Not one person?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Nobody want to test?

Not one person?
I would, but I have neither a modem nor a phone line.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 06:06 PM

I would like to know if this is because the code only handles US CID (I'm in the UK) - or whether this is because the built-in mac modem does not handle CID (which I was lead to believe historically.)
Is CID different in the UK from the US (or the rest of Europe?)

I ask because I recently got back from a trip to Greece. When we went, my father and I took a brand new US phone with us to give to my aunt. The phone has Caller ID capability and was designed for the US phone system. We had to buy a 220 V power brick to run the base station, and an adapter plug to plug the phone into the phone line. (The phone works fine as-is once the appropriate adapters are used).

When my aunt receives calls on the phone, the caller ID displays correct information, though it's formatted to appear as a US phone number (i.e. a phone number like 25220 60xxx gets displayed as 1-252-206-0xxx). It even displays correct caller ID information on calls she gets from Germany (again, the phone adds a 1 at the beginning and formats the number as a US number).

If a US phone can display European Caller ID info, that would mean the US and Europe (at least Greece and Germany) use the same standard. If my aunt were to call the UK, would her information show up on caller ID?

And for those interested, 25220 is the city code for Prosotsani and the surrounding villages, and the 60- interchange is for the villages of Grammeni and Aggitis (combined population of ~350 or so, so 999 unique phone numbers is more than enough)

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 06:13 PM

The UK has its own system - BT has NotInventedHere Syndrome.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 06:45 PM

The UK has its own system - BT has NotInventedHere Syndrome.
Hmm... the UK is part of the European Union, yet the power outlets are totally different from most of the rest of the EU, the currency is totally different from most of the rest of the EU, and the Caller ID system is totally different from most of the rest of the EU. Why be part of the EU? (that's a sarcastic remark, for the sarcasm-impaired).

Forum Links
Forum Rules