Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone have Gnuplot working?

Anyone have Gnuplot working?
hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 04:52 PM

I'm trying to install Gnuplot on both a 10.3.9 mini and a 10.4.8 macbook.

I've installed both AquaTerm and Gnuplot (from binaries) as per the instructions on this page http://www.lee-phillips.org/info/Macintosh/gnuplot.html.

When I try to invoke Gnuplot by cd'ing to /usr/local/bin and issueing a ./gnuplot I get this error:

dyld: ./gnuplot can't open library: /usr/local/lib/libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap
Anyone know what the deal is with this? Anyone have Gnuplot sucessfully running on a Mac?

I want to use python or ruby to generate simple graphs and have them served on my server... nothing too crazy.

Any help would be appreciated ;-)
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

holstien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2006, 04:00 PM

I installed gnuplot via Fink, and it seems to work ok on apples X11.

The error does not show up in your post.
->Crafted with care by the red-bearded pirate<-

samm
Nov 16, 2006, 10:38 AM

I installed gnuplot with MacPorts and it works fine. The link error you see indicates it cannot find the libaquaterm.dylib library. Try setting your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental to /usr/local/bin and see if it works. You can see if gnuplot has other dynamic libs it cannot locate with the otool command:

Code:
furlong:~ samm$ otool -L /opt/local/bin/gnuplot /opt/local/bin/gnuplot: /opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.1.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.1.0) /usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib (compatibility version 5.4.0, current version 5.4.0) /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3) /opt/local/lib/libgd.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.0.0) /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.4.dylib (compatibility version 4.11.0, current version 4.11.0) /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 6.2.0, current version 6.2.0) /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib (compatibility version 63.0.0, current version 63.0.0) /opt/local/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.4.0) /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.8.0) /opt/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib (compatibility version 11.0.0, current version 11.0.0) /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0) /opt/local/lib/libpdf.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0) /opt/local/lib/libaquaterm.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0) /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation (compatibility version 300.0.0, current version 567.28.0) /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.3.4)

OreoCookie
Nov 16, 2006, 11:20 AM

I have the Darwin Ports version installed on my computer. I don't use it via X11, but always choose ps as output and then do a ps2pdf + open on it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

wscjr1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2006, 04:30 PM

When I install gnuplot, I get that error too. Someplace in the code it assumes that you'll use version 1.0.0 of Aquaterm, and that's not the latest release.

If you look in /usr/local/lib you'll probably see libaquaterm.1.0.1.dylib. I just copied that file in Terminal (sudo cp ...) to one called libaquaterm.1.0.0.dylib- not the ideal solution, but now I can plot.

wscjr1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2006, 04:33 PM

Another thing you might need to know: you can use the downloaded version of X11 for Panther but Tiger needs a different version, which you have to get from the install CD's/DVD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules