Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 8 Channels on One Screen

8 Channels on One Screen
quiklee
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 03:23 PM

so this is a topic I posted on another forum and it's just not getting enough responses . . . i'm hoping the people on this forum are more innovative and resourceful =)

Does anyone remember that scene when Marty Jr walks into his family room to watch television and they have this huge 60 in Flatscreen . . . it's voice activated and Marty Jr. Says

Channel 6, 20, 35, 46 or ESPN, ABC, FOX . . . i forget exactly what, but you get the point.

Here's my question . . . does anyone know if there's program out there that can do this? I see Picture in Picture Heaven and my quaint lil living room turning into a full fledge sports bar is this is possible!

If someone hasn't made it yet, someone damn well should . . . two words - CHA and CHING!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 03:35 PM

You need a separate tuner for each channel. So whatever you're using to get TV into your computer, get 7 more of those. Then you might be able to open 8 different copies of the program that drives it, and tile them (or Exposé them?).

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 04:09 PM

I've had at least 4 channels running on a Dual G5 with only two tuners - DVB uses multiplexes, so if you are tuning multiple channels and they are in the same multiplex then you only need one tuner. You rapidly run out of processor power though.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 04:26 PM

What software and hardware?

This suggests that with a quad core you could easily do this (in DVB land at least)

You could even route the audio to each of 8 different speakers if you have them.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 06:27 PM

EyeTV

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 07:31 PM

Software: iTele and the MMInput drivers:
Hardware: an USB2 Cingery T2 device and an Hauppage WinTV Nova PCI card

DVB on the Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules