Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > UK Trip..need help

UK Trip..need help
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 11:34 PM

I plan to go to the UK with a friend and we want to rent motorcycles instead of a car, I need o know where to rent motorbikes from. We also need a few tip on hotels. Were going to stay in London for 3 nights and take a trip to Silverstone for the Formula 1 race. Any tips from those UK Mac users would be helpful.

steve
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 11:38 PM

I have no idea where to rent motorcycles, but as for the hotels, I say just go with hostels. I stayed at a great one on Queensway when I was there in '04. Well, great in that I met some cool people and had fun, it was pretty ghetto other than that... (You probably don't even want to bother with the one I stayed at in Forest Gate.)

Also, where in South Jersey are you from? I was born in Somers Point, and lived in Ocean View until we moved North and then West.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I have no idea where to rent motorcycles, but as for the hotels, I say just go with hostels. I stayed at a great one on Queensway when I was there in '04. Well, great in that I met some cool people and had fun, it was pretty ghetto other than that... (You probably don't even want to bother with the one I stayed at in Forest Gate.)

Also, where in South Jersey are you from? I was born in Somers Point, and lived in Ocean View until we moved North and then West.
I think hostels are out...we would rather stay at a hotel...I live near Philly just across the WW bridge. I know Somers Point well!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I think hostels are out...we would rather stay at a hotel...I live near Philly just across the WW bridge. I know Somers Point well!
Hmm, well the only hotel I've stayed at in London is the Day's Inn (I think) near Millbank (the company I worked at at the time has an office in Millbank Tower). It was nice enough for a cheap hotel.

I don't really know the Philly area too well, we moved to California when I was 10 and spent most of the time until then up in Eatontown (Monmouth County), but I've still got family down there.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2007, 04:15 AM

What is your budget per night in London? I have no idea on the motorcycles.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2007, 12:08 PM

I've rented a motorcycle from these guys About Town Motorcycle and Scooter Hire
It was virtually a brand new bike and i reckon most of the ones i saw in their shop were fairly new and clean. It's only a small place but the guy that owns it is very helpful.

another hire places in London

Raceways Motorcycle Rentals UK - We hire Honda Suzuki Yamaha Peugeot Harley Davidson Triumph bikes at the best prices!

SuperBikeHire and Motorbike Hire - London

a list with some of the same here Bike Hire - BikeSource - The UK's Largest Online Motorcycle Directory, Motorcycle News, Motorcycle Events

Tiresias
Mar 9, 2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I was born in Somers Point, and lived in Ocean View until we moved North and then West.
Wow. Interesting.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
What is your budget per night in London? I have no idea on the motorcycles.
We would like to stay in the $100.00 USD range. I think about the 50 GBP.

I may have to go hire I think at the looks of it...We would go to $125 USD

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
I've rented a motorcycle from these guys About Town Motorcycle and Scooter Hire
It was virtually a brand new bike and i reckon most of the ones i saw in their shop were fairly new and clean. It's only a small place but the guy that owns it is very helpful.

another hire places in London

Raceways Motorcycle Rentals UK - We hire Honda Suzuki Yamaha Peugeot Harley Davidson Triumph bikes at the best prices!

SuperBikeHire and Motorbike Hire - London

a list with some of the same here Bike Hire - BikeSource - The UK's Largest Online Motorcycle Directory, Motorcycle News, Motorcycle Events

Fantastic info THANKS!!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Wow. Interesting.
What's with you today?

Did you just turn 16 and hit midlife crisis?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2007, 04:52 PM

I may have to go hire I think at the looks of it...We would go to $125 USD
I can't recommend anything in London at those prices. I know you are opposed to hostels, but you may need to realign your expectations, either on price, quality or location.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2007, 05:04 PM

You could do worse than check out http://www.expedia.co.uk for cheap hotels

this is the 'official' London website - Visit London - The Official Website for London

But as Paco500 says you'll probably struggle to find somewhere decent bang in the centre of London for them prices, but it is possible.
There are loads of hotels in London, most of which don't get listed on the internet.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 05:37 AM

Well, there's always easyHotel Kensington... http://www.easyhotel.com/

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Angus_D View Post
Well, there's always easyHotel Kensington... http://www.easyhotel.com/
That is wonderful. I want to stay there. Has anyone been to one of these? Obviously, it's small, but so what? It's a bed.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 07:03 PM

Here's a useful hint:

Ride *very* defensively. I'm not a biker, but even in a car on the UK motorways, and ever more so on London roads be very defensive. These days people drive very badly in the UK - it seems to me that nobody indicates any more, and nobody moves left on the motorway.

I may be getting to become a grumpy old bastard and I may sound pessimistic, but it seems that traffic has increased, and with that traffic come people who don't follow the (UK) road rules properly. Bike riders are particularly at risk. Assume that the average driver doesn't use mirrors, many do, but you can't assume that they all do.

Apparently 1 in 4 drivers in London is uninsured.
People tend to drive very fast on the motorways, often 90mph+ : with the increased introduction of speed cameras, there has been a co-related decrease in police patrols (it seems to me.)

Here's the UK Highway Code: ()
The Highway Code

I don't mean to scare you, but Good luck!

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2007, 08:19 AM

Most bikers get taught to ride as if no one has seen you, it's the only way to survive. I ride a motorcycle everyday into London and while it's dangerous, it's the easiest and quickest way around town. You can't beat the free parking and no congestion (toll road) charges

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
Most bikers get taught to ride as if no one has seen you, it's the only way to survive. I ride a motorcycle everyday into London and while it's dangerous, it's the easiest and quickest way around town. You can't beat the free parking and no congestion (toll road) charges
My friend and I are experienced riders here the US so we hope to do well in the UK. Though driving on the left side will be our biggest challenge.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 12:26 AM

My friend and I are experienced riders here the US so we hope to do well in the UK. Though driving on the left side will be our biggest challenge.
In my experience, driving on the left isn't that big a deal. It's switching back to driving on the right when you get home where it gets tricky.

Strix
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2007, 10:55 AM

For staying in London, try the Premier Travel Inn's. They're not the most expensive, but then not the cheapest.

Try the Tower Bridge Premier Inn:

London Tower Bridge | Hotel information - Premier Travel Inn

£90 per night, but it's only a short walk from Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. Fantastic for an evening walk, as you can walk all around the Tower. Don't forget to walk around St Katherines Dock, again really good place to walk in the evenings.

You could also stay in The Tower Hotel.

The Tower?- View Hotel - Guoman Hotels

Very nice hotel, but VERY expensive.

If your biking to Silverstone, watch out for the speedcamera's on the approach, though given the queues into Silverstone I doubt this will be a problem..... Allow plenty of time to get in, and plenty of time to get out....

EDIT: And don't forget, if you take a car or motorbike into London you'll need to pay the congestion charge (£8 per day).

Transport for London
( Last edited by Strix; Mar 12, 2007 at 11:02 AM. )

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Strix View Post
EDIT: And don't forget, if you take a car or motorbike into London you'll need to pay the congestion charge (£8 per day).

Transport for London
No charge for motorcycles ....... but that might change if red Ken gets his way and we all have to get a GPS bug stuck up our bums.

You'll be fine, driving a car on the wrong side is harder IMO. first time i did it i was opening the door instead of changing gear!!

I'll get together some links to the UK motorcycle magazines, they always list choice routes/trips that can be had on a bike.

Forum Links
Forum Rules