Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Leopard thread

The official Leopard thread (Page 25)
robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 02:32 PM

Well, I could do without a dancing paperclip.

And I'm eagerly awaiting the new screenshots.

Super Mario
Aug 25, 2007, 02:38 PM

If you want to see what the new iLife scroll bars look like system wide then download the Liger theme and choose Liger Metal. You will understand why Apple got rid of this gumdrop style Aqua. The new scroll bars look excellenté system wide. I'm never going back to old school Aqua.

robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
If you want to see what the new iLife scroll bars look like system wide then download the Liger theme and choose Liger Metal. You will understand why Apple got rid of this gumdrop style Aqua. The new scroll bars look excellenté system wide. I'm never going back to old school Aqua.
I fully agree that the new iTunes scrollbars are a significant improvement over Aqua. But do we have confirmation yet that Leopard's are like that? Like, is it system wide in the newest build?

Super Mario
Aug 25, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by robshoy View Post
I fully agree that the new iTunes scrollbars are a significant improvement over Aqua. But do we have confirmation yet that Leopard's are like that? Like, is it system wide in the newest build?
As Paper Notes predicted the traffic light widgets are now flat and pastel in Leopard so I'm guessing the scroll bars are now system wide too. Gotta be some screenshots soon.

robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 02:50 PM

If more of Paper Notes predictions come true, I will be a very happy camper.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 03:00 PM

I'm quite fond of the new wallpaper, looks like a gigantic improvement over the Vista Grass, heh. But still, is a new wallpaper really enough of an update? Come on, what's really new in Leopard?
You don't bother to read the threads you reply to, much, do you?

robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
You don't bother to read the threads you reply to, much, do you?
I most certainly did read the thread. And even re-reading it, there's nothing that new in Leopard. There's speculation, but that's not confirmed. I'm not criticizing anyone but Apple here. No need to get defensive. I'm just saying that Leopard, even in its current build, still seems more like evolution than revolution. And after waiting so long, I expected revolution, especially now that they have to compete with Vista. I'm not saying Apple did anything wrong, they're just not meeting my own expectations. And I know it's not all about me, but a guy has the right to whine, doesn't he?

Super Mario
Aug 25, 2007, 03:27 PM

I most certainly did read the thread. And even re-reading it, there's nothing that new in Leopard.
I have seen Leopard and am under no NDA so I can tell you it is much faster than Tiger on the same hardware. That alone will really make you like it.

Spaces is really good. I doubted it because whenever I tried virtual desktops in Linux it was always suck (because Linux sucks) but on Leopard it just feels perfect the way Apple did it.

Spotlight is much faster but I hope they bring back the Spotlight window with all the categories. The damn thing I saw was opening a Finder window which can't search emails and address book.

I saw that application compatibility was really good apart from iClip which didn't work. Leopard supports multiple clipboards now so there might be a new secret app coming.

The new Mail is more like a Personal Information Manager (PIM) app and has an RSS news reader. If you like Newsfire you will like the new Mail. I really wish Apple would make an Entourage/Outlook killer though. Do we need iCal, Mail and Address Book to be separate apps?

The really great feature that will make you leave Tiger behind is QuickLook. Once you get used to using the spacebar to preview files you won't be able to go back to Tiger. The version I saw looked kind of sloppy and unfinished but still very good. Stacks was unfinished too. When the Applications folder was dragged to the Dock the Stack looked simply ugly. We should be allowed to have normal folders in the Dock too. If Stacks is done right it is a killer feature.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 03:35 PM

I most certainly did read the thread. And even re-reading it, there's nothing that new in Leopard. There's speculation, but that's not confirmed.
I've read the thread, as well, and it leads me to the opposite conclusion.

Then again, I don't expect an operating system to bring world peace and flying cars to everyone.

robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 03:38 PM

I have seen Leopard and am under no NDA so I can tell you it is much faster than Tiger on the same hardware. That alone will really make you like it.

Spaces is really good. I doubted it because whenever I tried virtual desktops in Linux it was always suck (because Linux sucks) but on Leopard it just feels perfect the way Apple did it.

Spotlight is much faster but I hope they bring back the Spotlight window with all the categories. The damn thing I saw was opening a Finder window which can't search emails and address book.

I saw that application compatibility was really good apart from iClip which didn't work. Leopard supports multiple clipboards now so there might be a new secret app coming.

The new Mail is more like a Personal Information Manager (PIM) app and has an RSS news reader. If you like Newsfire you will like the new Mail. I really wish Apple would make an Entourage/Outlook killer though. Do we need iCal, Mail and Address Book to be separate apps?

The really great feature that will make you leave Tiger behind is QuickLook. Once you get used to using the spacebar to preview files you won't be able to go back to Tiger. The version I saw looked kind of sloppy and unfinished but still very good. Stacks was unfinished too. When the Applications folder was dragged to the Dock the Stack looked simply ugly. We should be allowed to have normal folders in the Dock too. If Stacks is done right it is a killer feature.
Well that's very good to hear. I haven't actually seen Leopard first-hand, all I've seen are the Stevenotes and some Macrumors screen shots. The way you describe it, it does sound very good indeed.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 03:41 PM

Discuss.

EDIT: Just for the record, I got these screenshots from the MacRumors forum. I have not seen the latest build first-hand.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 03:49 PM

Those screenshots just changed my mind completely. You're right, it does look fantastic. The menubar looks great, a huuuge improvement. And the new traffic lights look... well actually, they may take a little getting used to. It seems counter-intuitive on Leopard. Everything else is getting more pastel, the scrollbars, the icons, less and less aqua. The new ones are even more gel-ish and colorful. I like them, they just look a bit out of place.

Super Mario
Aug 25, 2007, 03:49 PM

Oh well still haven't finished the scroll bars.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2007, 03:50 PM

1. I hope those aren't the final window widgets. Those things ****ing glow.

2. Is it me, or have the controls gone almost full circle and now look like Platinum again?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Super Mario
Aug 25, 2007, 03:59 PM

The menu bar has improved a lot. It's not flat anymore, it has got edges to it. I like the bevel on the text too.

The Dock's angle and texture has changed too and it has a flat side edge along the front.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 04:23 PM

Dock looks good.

The close/minimize/zoom buttons are too bright for me. And I'm unhappy that the "flat and glassy" buttons are going; I prefer the look of the buttons in Safari and Finder as they are now.

And I still don't see the point of the translucent menu bar.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Is it me, or have the controls gone almost full circle and now look like Platinum again?
I liked Platinum. Aqua always seemed to bright for me.

I gotta say: I'm using Tiger with UNO right now, and it looks better than Leopard.

Super Mario
Aug 25, 2007, 05:04 PM

This is just a mock up. I noticed they have created a thin line around the menu bar to give it the look of glass with a solid edge. There's also a new thin dark line around every window's title bar. What if Apple makes the title and tool bar look like glass too, like a cross between Aero Glass and the 3D Dock?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 05:26 PM

Translucent titlebars look very cluttered and ugly in my opinion while having no real advantage. Apple had that in 10.0 to 10.2 and thankfully got rid off it. It also looks ugly in Windows in my opinion.

Used sparingly transparency can be fine. In a sheet it's probably fine to demonstrate the non-permanent nature of it. But fore something that is visible all the time I prefer a clean look.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 05:37 PM

Yes we do!
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 06:34 PM

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
2. Is it me, or have the controls gone almost full circle and now look like Platinum again?
My thoughts as well.

Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 07:31 PM

THAT IS AWESOME! I want Leopard Just for that.

But those traffic lights have GOT to be toned down.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 09:59 PM

Yes, they are a bit weird, but I think they are what we will get in the final as they have changed the System Prefs Appearance icon to match.

They have modified 10 system preferences icons since 9A500n, it looks like we are approaching the final stretch.
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Aug 25, 2007 at 10:06 PM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 10:31 PM

The Dock's angle and texture has changed too and it has a flat side edge along the front.
I think that may the reflection from the window above.
Maybe.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 10:54 PM

The new build is fantastic lookwise. The menu-bar is just right now. I even dig the whole space theme going on.

Graphite is awesome! Not sure about the new highlights though, but I'll get used to them for sure.

The addressbook icon is dead sexy at 512x512. Mmmmm....leather.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I think that may the reflection from the window above.
Maybe.
Nope. It has an edge to it. Too bad the reflections still look stupid with angled icons and the trash.

Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 10:56 PM

Post a screenshot of the traffic lights in graphite.

Are they as "bright"?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 11:01 PM

Graphite:

Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 11:03 PM

Graphite looks fine, but to me the colored ones look like crappy 3-color gifs.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 11:05 PM

Yay! They fixed the Rosetta/OpenGL bug... I can now play Rise of Nations again

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 11:09 PM

The menu bar definitely does the blur as well as the transparency now. I think they finally got it just right.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 11:13 PM

Thanks Eric, can you post a big shot of the dock with a plain background?
I will send you cookie.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The menu bar definitely does the blur as well as the transparency now. I think they finally got it just right.
Is the blur "live"? For example, if you play a movie in QuickTime Player and touch the top of the screen to show the menubar, does it blur the movie underneath?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Is the blur "live"? For example, if you play a movie in QuickTime Player and touch the top of the screen to show the menubar, does it blur the movie underneath?
It plays movies and blurs underneath sheets so i'm sure the other blurs will blur.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 11:38 PM

Sorry, back in Tiger at the moment to back up and prepare to install this build as my main OS.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 01:55 AM

I hear the window traffic light widgets have changed in the latest Leopard...
Links? Pics?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Links? Pics?
Thread?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Thread?
Oops, sorry, forgot to read the last page of the thread.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 03:45 AM

Too bad the reflections still look stupid with angled icons and the trash.
And that the separator has a different angle than the sides of the dock.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Thanks Eric, can you post a big shot of the dock with a plain background?
I will send you cookie.
Cookie you say?

Finally got it installed as my main OS. Loving it so far!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 04:15 AM

Why are there two shadows for every icon?

Shouldn't the light that shines down from the top light out the shadow produced by the light that shines from the front and vice versa?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 04:39 AM

The shadows are downright stupid. I have no idea why they added those redundant ones. Grrr.

Super Mario
Aug 26, 2007, 04:47 AM

I read MS Word had some GUI bugs when using the inbuilt Dictionary and Thesaurus? Does this still happen in 9a527?

How well does iLife 08 and iWork 08 run?

Are there any apps that are buggy? Does iClip work now?

How about games, are frame rates faster or slower?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 05:05 AM

iMovie and iDVD does not open or show previews respectively.

GarageBand is weirdly laggy. But it was the first time I opened it, so maybe it needs to index it's loops.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 05:11 AM

Pages and Keynote work fine. Numbers seem to hang when opening templates.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 05:13 AM

Photoshop works fine, even when dragging layers (which caused it to crash on 466).

The menu is opaque when dropped down in full screen QuickTime. No big deal I guess.

HTML documents generate a preview icon.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 05:15 AM

Cookie you say?
far!
Unfortunately some guy at Brisbane airport made me put it in a bin.
Sorry.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 05:16 AM

Front Row has some issues:
- It doesn't generate previews for divx and WMV files. Playback is fine, as long as you have the correct codecs installed.
- Some of my TV Shows show up as "Various". I have to guess which each one is. Joy.
- Some of my podcasts show up as "Unknown Album". Video podcasts are no longer separated from audio podcasts. Double joy.

Super Mario
Aug 26, 2007, 05:22 AM

What about the MS Word bugs?

Do the icon previews still redraw every time you open a folder? In the 499 build I saw the previews never saved and always had to be redrawn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules