Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread

Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread (Page 2)
Magicite
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 04:24 AM

This is a weird [minor] error:

1) Type in 'ginormous' into any cocoa app
2) Observe [if you have auto spell check turned on] that spell check thinks you've spelt it incorrectly
3) Right click / run spell checker
4) Stare in disbelief as it suggests 'wginormous' as the correct spelling
( Last edited by Magicite; Aug 15, 2008 at 04:27 PM. )
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 05:33 AM

I found out that when trying to use Dictionary on a word by pressing ctrl + cmd + D the window won't always appear. Seems random.

Also, the layout of my Pages documents look really off as none of the page breaks appear. The weird thing is everything looks fine on the document icon previews.

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
But that really wasn't my point. In a lot of cases the hardware CAN support it. Apple just blocks it to a certain point so those that haven't bought hardware in awhile feel "guilted" into it , or obsolete because it wont display the latest eye candy.
Is there any proof for this beyond the cursor drop shadow example? For example, enable the Core Image ripple effect in Dashboard on my 2004 1GHz eMac without making the entire OS grind to a halt.
( Last edited by .Neo; Oct 27, 2007 at 05:50 AM. )

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Huh, didn't think of incapable GPU. This machine is a 12" PowerBook 1.5GHz with the GeForce Go5200, and System Profiler says "Hardware Accelerated" for Core Image. Actually I think that's a step up, in Tiger I'm pretty sure it just said "No". Either way, my menubar is solid grey.
And your desktop background is what?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ~bash $ View Post
Another bug, this one with X11.app, it seems. And reproducible.

Any app window that is floating above an xterm window in X11.app ... when your focus is not X11 and you cmd+tab to X11, the window will not come to the top, though the "focus" is on the xterm window. Annoying!

Tested with Camino 1.5.2, Finder, Adium, iChat.
I remember that bug from Tiger.

At some point they fixed it though. Looks like the fix didn't make it into Leopard's X11.

What about the yellow cursor bug in ssh-forwarded X11 windows on Intel Macs? Has it been fixed in Leopard's X11?

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 27, 2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
Is there any proof for this beyond the cursor drop shadow example? For example, enable the Core Image ripple effect in Dashboard on my 2004 1GHz eMac without making the entire OS grind to a halt.
I am not saying you can. I said it STARTED with the mouse, and since they got busted for that one, they are now making sure these effects DO only work on certain machines. Again it's the "Hey! I want my machine to do that too!" effect. Guilting it's customers to buy a newer Mac to "keep up"

Of course by the time the next OS is out, there will be a new eye candy that wont work with your computer.

This isn't making Apple customers as a whole HAPPY. As MOST don't have the latest and greatest.

A company's goal you would think would be to make the MAJORITY of it's users happy.

I remember users in here Slamming Vista for this very thing.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
A company's goal you would think would be to make the MAJORITY of it's users happy.
When it comes to Apple maybe you would think that. And many others on this board probably too. But Apple's a business, not a church.

In reality a company's goal is to make a lot of profit and keep the MAJORITY of its shareholders happy. Apple is no exception. I wouldn't doubt for a moment that they hold back certain features on certain Macs just to increase pressure on people to buy new systems. It sucks, but that's they way it works.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 07:56 AM

Exactly. Some people need to stop acting like Apple is a personal friend who just screwed them over.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 27, 2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
When it comes to Apple maybe you would think that. And many others on this board probably too. But Apple's a business, not a church.
How do you keep a business going? Making the users happy. When you have a bunch of mad users, business isn't going to be good. I was referring to business when I was talking about making the majority happy.
In reality a company's goal is to make a lot of profit and keep the MAJORITY of its shareholders happy. Apple is no exception. I wouldn't doubt for a moment that they hold back certain features on certain Macs just to increase pressure on people to buy new systems. It sucks, but that's they way it works.
I know how it works. And since we both agree it sucks, which was my complaint, I don't get the reason you replied to my post as if you were disagreeing with me.
Exactly. Some people need to stop acting like Apple is a personal friend who just screwed them over.
Oh I am surely not so delusional to think Apple is a friend. Nor do I have any loyalties for it. If something better comes out for what I do, I'd ditch Apple in a second. I almost did and would have if Be would have made it. Im just not going to be taking up for bad actions just because it "thats how it is" Nor should anyone.

Thats how it is because thats what the public has allowed it to be. If a lot of people complain about it, Apple will have to listen. Or the board members wont be happy either.

But since Apple has a loyal following of fanboys, they get away with a lot of things other companies would not.

It's that RDF.

The fact that people are JUST FINDING OUT after installing Leopard that these features Apple were touting don't work on their "supported" machine is horrible. Is there anything on their site stating that said bar will only work on certain machines? If not, Apple is playing bait and switch.

I believe they've been sued for doing such things before. I wont go into Apple's selling machines before 10.0 came out touting them "OS X ready" and then when OS X comes out, came to find out not all of the "Core" features in OS X worked on their "OS X ready" computer.

I know it pissed me off. Had I known my computer that I bought at the time wouldn't be fully OS X supported, I'd have never bought it at the time.

Anyone that claims that isn't a valid gripe is off their rocker.
( Last edited by Kevin; Oct 27, 2007 at 08:24 AM. )

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 08:25 AM

someone tried the spaces feature "assign application"?
its great. you can add an app and if you open it, spaces will open it in a new space.
the bug is: java apps are not recognized. this sucks.
i wanted to assign jbidwatcher and auctionsieve to my ebay space, but they stay i the active space, not activating the assigned space. any workarounds?

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 09:16 AM

Upgrading to OS X 10.5 reminds me of original OS X 10.0 (bugy and a bit bloated)

1. Sherlock was deleted from my hard drive (without my knowledge).

2. AOL version 10.3.7/GM no longer allows me to Read Mail (nothing happens when i click on a message).

3. So I installed the latest AOL Desktop Beta 2 as a work around. It will allow me to read mail, but it won't allow me to Send Mail. Plain and simple, OS X 10.5 broke AOL!

4. My keychain permissions are all banged up. I keep having to enter passwords every few times I use certain programs like Mail. Example: when i click on an email link in Safari, Mail automatically loads up, however i'm required to enter a password to satisfy the keychain permission dialogue box. (for some reason it just wont' remember the password i'm entering)

5. Repairing permissions in Disk Utility now take 10x the time it use to.

6. When I hit Command/”i” while in Safari, I get the following error message: "Safari couldn't create an email message because it couldn't located an email application. You can use the Mail application included with Mac OS X to send webpages. To do so, you need to install Mail using the Mac OS X installation CDs." (of course Mail is installed)

7. Some of my RSS websites no longer show up as RSS in Safari. Take StarTribune.com | Vikings: Articles, blogs, video interviews, stats, photo galleries and more as an example. This site no longer shows RSS. However, I can force it to show up as RSS by typing: feed://www.startribune.com/rss/510.xml
It’s interesting to note that the RSS logo is a different shade of blue than the websites that properly show up as RSS under OS X 10.5

8. Version Tracker Pro crashes every time i check for new updates.
( Last edited by Reggie Fowler; Oct 27, 2007 at 11:15 AM. )

JSD303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
this is annoying the hell out of me! every time i quit an app, the dock disappears and reappears! sigh, i did a clean fresh install too... what gives? i'm on a dual 2.7ghz g5 powermac if that makes a difference, anyone else have this problem?
I'm having the same problem with the dock disappearing briefly when I have minimized an app to the Dock and then click on it to maximize it - as it launches the dock disappears briefly every time. This also has happened when quitting applications, but isn't consistently reproducible. The dock does disappear briefly each time I try to launch a minimized-to-the-dock application. I assumed it was a legacy app or something interfering with the dock, so I tried a clean install on a different hard drive. Same result. So it must be Leopard that is having the problem.

Dual G5 PowerMac 2GB RAM yada yada...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post

It's true, many companies these days are under the mistaken belief that ignoring the user is a valid business model. Coincidentally, these are the companies you always hear complaining about how much trouble they're having.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 12:51 PM

The red/yellow/green buttons in iTunes didn't get updated.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 12:52 PM

I had this install problem on three installs with two different Macs. All the normally invisible files at the root of the drive are visible. In all cases I had erased the drive in Disk Utility before beginning the install. So, it was a clean, pristine install each time. I did have another Mac where the files were invisible as they should be. Anyone else see this?

Btw, I have since created a .hidden file to hide all the files on both Macs.
Vandelay Industries

Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
That sucks. Why can't they just let iTunes use the system's GUI files? Leopard looks almost like it now, anyway.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
That sucks. Why can't they just let iTunes use the system's GUI files? Leopard looks almost like it now, anyway.
Fixed that for me:

RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

Unzip. Copy contained .rsrc file. Quit iTunes. Navigate to Apps folder. Right-click on iTunes, show package contents. Paste file over the existing one. Delete the foreign language packages like ta-tamil.lproj while you're there. Restart iTunes

I know it's a nit pick, but once I noticed it, it bugged me. So it's a bug

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Reggie Fowler View Post
6. When I hit Command/”i” while in Safari, I get the following error message: "Safari couldn't create an email message because it couldn't located an email application. You can use the Mail application included with Mac OS X to send webpages. To do so, you need to install Mail using the Mac OS X installation CDs." (of course Mail is installed)
I was having this problem on my BlackBook with 10.4.10 but thought upgrading to Leopard would fix it. It's still broken.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
After a restart <command- i> on the keyboard is working.

Safari browser window becomes inoperable only after I try to print, which spits out the message "A printing error occurred" after the print job spools to the print manager but before the print manager opens or the printer responds by warming up.
Follow up:

Monday I must have a printer working (for work).

My work-around for the printer was to run out and purchase a new Brother printer. Brother printers really are plug and play and the drivers are included in OSX 10.5.

By proxy, the new printer also fixes the Safari window freeze problem as well.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 02:26 PM

They made QuickTime a picture perfect Mac OS X application with version 7, they really need to do the same with iTunes.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 02:58 PM

Secure Emptying the Trash stays stuck all the time and refuses to close when hitting the stop button. It's a pain.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 03:36 PM

Dragthing won't stay on top even though I have it set in Application Assignments to show on every space. I just sent an email to the admin at Dragthing to try and find a solution. Oh, and NetNewsWire doesn't work in 10.5 either.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2007, 03:46 PM

RAM usage seems rather excessive.
we don't have time to stop for gas

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
Dragthing won't stay on top even though I have it set in Application Assignments to show on every space. I just sent an email to the admin at Dragthing to try and find a solution. Oh, and NetNewsWire doesn't work in 10.5 either.
Those aren't really system related bugs. Just applications that haven't been updated for Mac OS X Leopard yet.

Kees
Oct 27, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by kilechki View Post
The stupidest "enhancement" to the Finder could qualify as a bug.

Audio files in column view can't be previewed anymore with a slider to choose the position of audio playback. It's a single, black square with a "play" button, which very slowly loads the whole file before being able to play it - without a way to fast forward. If the file is a huge mp3, it takes about 1 or 2 minutes on my G4 before being able to hear the beginning of the song.
Exact same behavior in "preview" pane of the info window, in coverflow and in quick look.

*stupid*
just wanted to second this as the most stupid 'enhancement' I've come across so far. (Though the blurring of text underneath a transparent menu is a close second)

Esthetic complaints aside, it does seem like a solid update so far though.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 27, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by JLL View Post
And your desktop background is what?
Sorry didn't see this earlier and the thread has been seeing much action . I had tried a few and just now went through a bunch more of the built-in ones and then some of my own to see if the "fit to screen" type settings made any difference. The first thing I noticed was a few additional built-in pics that I hadn't - Zebra, Bamboo Grove and the like - nice work Apple. But through all my menubar remained solid as a rock.

I have now also seen the comparison on a Mac mini that does support it, with a star from the default pic showing under the menubar - I guess it's just "one of those things".

@Kar98: Heh thanks for the fix; I hadn't noticed it actually, but once I read it here I suddenly cared .

Edit: any chance with the mini-player ones?
( Last edited by MartiNZ; Oct 27, 2007 at 05:08 PM. )

pcw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
That seems like an extremely sloppy bug from Apple. I mean come on, they change all the widgets in 10.5 and forgets to make the iTunes widgets consistent.

Makes me think they rushed Leopard out.

Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 04:48 PM

You're only THINKING that?

pcw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 04:55 PM

I'm thinking because I don't know it for a fact

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 05:06 PM

Same here. My 12" 1.0G PBG4 has a solid grey menu bar but does show the Dashboard "splash" effect while my 2.0 Macbook has both effects with both light and dark background pics.

I actually prefer non-translucent at this point...

Huh, didn't think of incapable GPU. This machine is a 12" PowerBook 1.5GHz with the GeForce Go5200, and System Profiler says "Hardware Accelerated" for Core Image. Actually I think that's a step up, in Tiger I'm pretty sure it just said "No". Either way, my menubar is solid grey.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 05:59 PM

See my message below. I figured out my issue - it's something others have encountered...
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Oct 28, 2007 at 12:57 AM. )

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 06:12 PM

I wonder if they're pulling a Microsoft and patching that old SoundJam MP code from so long ago.

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
Secure Emptying the Trash stays stuck all the time and refuses to close when hitting the stop button. It's a pain.
I thought this was the default Tiger behavior, too.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by ~bash $ View Post
I thought this was the default Tiger behavior, too.
I didn't have that problem on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 06:57 PM

Issue resolved but see below for details.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Oct 28, 2007 at 12:58 AM. )

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 07:45 PM

Anyone else notice the AOL bug mentioned above? does anyone still use AOL?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2007, 08:16 PM

quite a shocking bug:

wonder if Macintosh.com is getting tons of hits.. or just me?

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
quite a shocking bug:

wonder if Macintosh.com is getting tons of hits.. or just me?
Just you:

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2007, 08:48 PM

I think bonjour is hosed.
Not seeing shared libraries, can't browse to other macs via bonjour name.
crap.

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 08:54 PM

My keychain permissions are all banged up. I keep having to enter passwords every few times I use certain programs like Mail. Example: when i click on an email link in Safari, Mail automatically loads up, however i'm required to enter a password to satisfy the keychain permission dialogue box. (for some reason it just wont' remember the password i'm entering)
This keeps popping up when I click deny it returns endlessly. I can't figure out what it is except that it is related to iDisk.

Activity Monitor doesn't help:
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 11:20 PM

My issue was actually caused by a third party app, Audio Hijack Pro by Rogue Amoeba.

This app is a commercial application which I paid for. The application itself uses
another piece of software called APE that is the cause of the problem.

Fixes are available here:
Mac OS X and iPod Troubleshooting, Support, and Help - MacFixIt

and here:
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...k-blue-screen/

Blue39390
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 12:16 AM

Anyone having problems with the installation media. I tried installing OS X (Upgrading the volume) on my macbook yesterday and the finder kept crashing, so i let it sit over night and tried today same thing, system would just hang. so i tried erase and install and the installer failed. Tried the media on my 20 Alum iMac same thing. Took the media back to the store and exchange the media it. Tired the upgrade option again and it would not work. only option that would work was erase and install. The people at the apple store said that they have had 10 to 15 people return their media for new ones because of this problem. Anyone else run into this?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 12:23 AM

Is anyone else unable to eject mounted .dmg files? Nothing happens if I drag them to the Trash or clicking eject in the Finder.
I tried logging out and back in but that didn't help. I'll try restart later.

If I open up Disk Utility and click eject from there it works.
Strange.

Apple has some work to do for 10.5.1

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson View Post
My issue was actually caused by a third party app, Audio Hijack Pro by Rogue Amoeba.
This app is a commercial application which I paid for. The application itself uses
another piece of software called APE that is the cause of the problem.
Fixes are available here:
Mac OS X and iPod Troubleshooting, Support, and Help - MacFixIt
and here:
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...k-blue-screen/
Glad you got it sorted out. Chalk up another reason I stay away from APE.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 12:59 AM

I should have known better to avoid something named after a primate.

Wait a second, don't we come from....uh oh.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 01:07 AM

Rebooting fixed my issue with not being able to eject .dmgs off the desktop.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Glad you got it sorted out. Chalk up another reason I stay away from APE.
Look, Apple has already gutted our ability to improve OS X, so you don't have to worry that somebody might actually get some satisfaction out of his computing experience — can you stop beating the horse now?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mjankor
Oct 28, 2007, 05:48 AM

"Open all folders in new finder window" under Finder prefs doesn't work if the sidebar is showing and you hold down option while opening a folder (The traditional way of opening a new window and closing the last).

If the sidebar is off, then it works as expected.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 05:49 AM

Sorry didn't see this earlier and the thread has been seeing much action . I had tried a few and just now went through a bunch more of the built-in ones and then some of my own to see if the "fit to screen" type settings made any difference. The first thing I noticed was a few additional built-in pics that I hadn't - Zebra, Bamboo Grove and the like - nice work Apple. But through all my menubar remained solid as a rock.

I have now also seen the comparison on a Mac mini that does support it, with a star from the default pic showing under the menubar - I guess it's just "one of those things".
Strange! But as far as I remember the menubar was solid during the install process - perhaps it's a driver issue and not all drivers are included in the "install os".
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 06:06 AM

Emptying trash (both regularly and securely) has frozen on me quite often already. I've also been able to consistently crash finder by trying to unlock a certain locked file which would not delete.

Time Machine has also been a bit buggy - the first time, the backup failed after 9 out of 92 GB ("Backup unexpectedly terminated"), and the second time, it was transferring about 1 Kb/min. I stopped it, cleaned out the destination drive, and it's running again. Right now it's at around 5 Gb - I hope it works!

Edit: The third backup failed again - I reformatted the disk, restarted, and tried again. This one seems to be going in starts and stops - it'll backup about half a gigabyte or so fine, with high CPU usage (mainly backupd and mds), then the backup will pause, and CPU usage will ramp down significantly, and then the cycle repeats. Oh well, at least it's going. Thankfully, none of the future backups will take this long!
( Last edited by vertigociel; Oct 28, 2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: More Time Machine bugginess!)
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 07:36 AM

This is a "Bug" I have noticed. When opening desktop folders for the first time there is a 2 second delay before the contents pop-in there are like 4 things in one folder and it delays, another folder has about 300 things in it and there is the same delay.

Also first time Safari is opened the favicons pop-in on the bookmarks and bookmarks bar folder after a delay as well.

This is only happening on the boot drive, I have a second internal drive and I can navigate it real time and no slowdowns whatsoever.

The drive benchmarks just fine (around 60MB read 100MB write, it is almost 1/2 full) I did make sure indexing is all done and the computer was booted and sitting for a few minutes, I have tried this over multiple reboots, repaired permissions as well.

Does anyone else have this problem? This is my G5 Dual 2.5 with 4GB Ram, Main drive is a Maxtor Maxline 3 16MB Cache.

Thanks for any help/solutions this is VERY aggravating!

p.s. I am not sure if this is just on my G5, I haven't played with my Powerbook long enough to see if it happens on there, but I haven't noticed it.

ntsc
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 10:26 AM

i think there is an issue with the way Spaces interacts with the cmd+tab functionality. it seems the OS retains an ordering for all windows for each application, now say i'm in application 1 and I cmd+tab to application 2 it switches to the last active window for that application 2 regardless of whether this is in another space or not. I'm not convinced this is correct, certainly i find myself fighting it a lot. I would suggest that it should switch you to the most recently used window for that application in the *current* space and try everything to avoid moving from space to space. its very disconcerting when i can say see a Finder window beneath the current one, switch to that app only to be suddenly transported to another space, because i was working on another task involving another Finder window.

What does everyone think, does the current implementation work for the masses or am I the only one who uses the same applications across multiple tasks simultaneously?
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Forum Links
Forum Rules