Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac PPC 20''randomly turns off - Automatically! (Aka: Is my iMac dying?)

iMac PPC 20''randomly turns off - Automatically! (Aka: Is my iMac dying?)
Cospefogo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2008, 05:00 PM

Gentlemen,

I have a iMac G5 20'' PPC, 2Ghz with 1.5GB of RAM.
Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Suddenly, few days ago, I was in the middle of a DVD burning while
working on Photoshop CS3 when my iMac simply turned off. YES.
Just went off as if someone have pull the electric cord from the wall.

I turned it on and things were absolutely normal after it.

Few days passed and today I had the same issue.
I was browsing a forum with Firefox and chatting on MSN (Adium)
when simply the machine turned off again. It does not even give
me any warnings, or error messages, or screen freezing, nothing.
it just goes black.

Instantly I tried to turn it on, and the machine started the power
but after 2 seconds turned off again, refusing to proceed to the
boot process.

I waited for 3 or 4 minutes and tried again, and here I am, normally
working.

Any ideas guys of what this could be?
Am I plagued with a dying iMac?

Ram issues?
Power Supply Unit issues?

Oh guys...
I am worried.

Thanks for your attention!
Cospefogo.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 05:26 PM

That's a known issue with the PPC iMacs. They have a defective power supply that fails after a while, causing this problem. The part's under recall, so just take it into any authorized Apple repair center and they'll probably replace the part for you for free.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
That's a known issue with the PPC iMacs. They have a defective power supply that fails after a while, causing this problem. The part's under recall, so just take it into any authorized Apple repair center and they'll probably replace the part for you for free.
Welcome!
While they're
at it, ask them
to check the
column width
in your browser.
You can
probably set
it a little wider
than that on
a 20 inch iMac.

rrica_105
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2008, 08:30 PM

hello,

it's my first time here and i googled "my imac g5 just went black" and saw your postings.

the same thing is happening to me. i also have an iMac G5 20", 1.8 GHz, 2 GB, PowerPC G5 (3.0), os 10.5.2, but i wasn't doing anything strenuous on the computer, no cs3 work, just simple internet browsing. then it turned black on me - just like what you said, as if the power cord was pulled. i turned it on, but it refused...light on the the button went on for 2-3 secs, but nothing. i also waited for a minute (said a prayer), and here i am.

i will call Apple and hopefully you are right that there is a recall on this part and maybe get this fixed, FREE?!!

rrica_105
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2008, 08:51 PM

hi again,

i just saw this link. apparently there has been a recall. i guess i'll have to be lugging this machine downtown and have it fixed.

Apple - Support - iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues

Cospefogo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2008, 11:06 PM

Oh guys...
I think I am fried.

My iMac turned off three times in a row few minutes ago.
It's a problem to go after a recall or even a Apple authorized store because:
- I did buy this machine second hand from a friend
- I am at southern Brazil and there is absolutely no apple authorized stores near my home
- There are few in the whole country and they are damn' expensive

But its strange because my iMac is outside of the problematic range
of machines (or almost outside)...

Serial Number ranges: * W8435xxxxxx - W8522xxxxxx
My serial number is: W852915VSDN and my EMC is 2056 (Second generation of iMacs)

Oh no...
I am really fried.

Anyway, thank you so much for your quick reply, guys.
I will try to contact the nearst Apple re-seller in the country
and ask something about the problem to them.

Regards,
Cospefogo.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 02:46 AM

My aunt had that power supply issue with a machine that didn't have a serial number in the correct range. They replaced it for free nonetheless. It's worth a shot, anyway.

It doesn't have to be an Apple store - it can just be an authorized reseller. The latter are actually preferable as the smaller businesses tend to be more understanding of things like this, in my experience.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Cospefogo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2008, 07:01 AM

Ok CharlesS!
Thank you for your info.

I was browsing again the Apple website - this time the Portuguese language one - and found out about
the problem again. In this particular Brazilian page my EMC number is right on the spot of the problematic
machines - #2056.

Oh my...
I will call a apple reseller in the nearest big town at Monday to see what they can do for me.
My iMac has been was up for almost 36 hours with no power problems, but last night while I was sleeping it turned off again.

Now I work and save my stuff every 30 seconds.

Cospefogo.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2008, 09:26 AM

I'm having this issue as well with an aluminum iMac 2.4Ghz. Could it be the power issue with the new machine also?

rrica_105
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2008, 03:55 PM

hi!

that same day i went to the AppleStore here in SF and they replaced my ppc...while i was there, they also noticed that my logic board needed to be changed. i no longer have applecare, but they also replaced it for free.

i just picked-up my imac this morning, and it's like having a brand new machine. sorry (Cospefogo), about your situation, but thank you for sharing your information, otherwise i wouldn't have know what to do...

yellowlab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2008, 10:04 PM

Warning, this is a Long Story, but if it helps anybody here diagnose this power supply issue, its a good description of what happens.

So here is how it goes, the power supply problem,,,,,,, my iMac was in the list of the power supply defective Macs. It did not shut down the first time, it just got smelling like an electrical fire. I shut it down. Turned it on in a few hours, it ran fine until it shut itself off with an odd noise. Took it in to my local independent Mac store with all the information about this issue, they knew about it and installed a new power supply. It ran fine for a while, but happened again. I had read that the Logic Board should have been replaced at the time of the power supply, so I took it back and they installed BOTH. It ran fine for about a year, though it seemed to be overheating. Then it started to shut down by itself with an odd pop noise. Took it in and a young tech had it running for 24 hours in the shop and said there was nothing wrong with it. Brought it home again, and it shut down with a small 'pop' noise again. Charged me $70 for the work.
So I took it back in, they told me it was most likely a defective power cord, which I knew was not the issue.
I kept saying that I had a feeling it was the same power supply problem because thats exactly what it did before.
They told me it could be my Tripplite back up battery thing and to change plugs, so I shut it down, and plugged it into the wall and SNAP, bright blue spark! when I plugged it in. My husband said, that its drawing power and it should not do this if shut down, so it has to be a power supply problem. Took it back and they phoned me quickly telling me that it was a power supply problem!
Gee, I told you so, but who is going to think an old gray haired grandmother knows more than they do? No, I didnt say it, but I sure wanted to.

So Apple will install a third power supply and hopefully a new Logic Board.
My husband said that there must be something else in the computer that is causing this at this point, as the parts are relatively new. Ive been told by very savvy friends to call Apple, as my Apple care is still in effect for 6 more months. But when I call them, they dont know much more than I do, and thats not much.
Jane

Forum Links
Forum Rules