Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can you have iTunes sync movies automatically?

Can you have iTunes sync movies automatically?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2009, 08:37 AM

So with both my iPhone 3G and my iPod video I need to manually sync movie files in iTunes. Basically I have to tick the checkbox next to every single movie file for it to be sync'ed it to the iPod or iPhone.

Is there any way to make sure they are are automatically sync'ed to my iPhone or iPod as soon as I hook the device up?

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2009, 01:17 PM

I set up a playlist that gets sync'ed to my iphone which I put movies into. You can mass select a bunch of movies or TV shows and just drag them all in there. Then when you plug in the phone, it all works.

I don't think my solution is exactly what you're looking for, but I found it to be better then:
1. Plug in phone, wait for it to sync.
2. Check the movies I want (and if you have a lot, then it's a pain).
3. Resync.

I guess you could turn off auto-sync, but whatever. I'm digressing.

Good luck. I wonder if someone has any better ideas...

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2009, 04:33 PM

I see what you're saying. Indeed it's better than that three item list I was previously also using.

The thing is that I frequently have new TV show rips I put on iTunes. Next time I'm on a plane or waiting at an airport I watch them and then discard them. It would be nice if those new movies auto-sync'ed next time I connect my iPod/iPhone without having to go select them manually and sync again every single time.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2009, 06:21 PM

Hmm, I just did a smart playlist, with the name of the show, and a playcount of 0, and it autofilled.

Maybe that's the solution...

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2009, 03:39 AM

Didn't work with my iPhone 3G.

I made a smart playlist that would cover pretty much any type of video. My files immediately ended up in that playlist. I sync'ed the iPhone but no dice. The playlist didn't show up in the iPhone's playlist section and none of the movie clips showed up in the movie section.

Maybe I should file a bug report...

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2009, 11:00 AM

That's odd because it worked for me, and I don't have anything special going on with my 3g or my mac.

My Settings are:
Name Contains (name of my show)
Play Count is 0

These sync'd to my phone without issue after I selected the playlist in iTunes...

By the way, I'm glad you posted this question, because I never would have thought to create a smartlist for my movies - now I love it!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2009, 12:36 PM

Since I have many different shows (and hence file names) I instead used

Match any of the following rules:
• Video Kind is Movie
• Video Kind is Music Video
• Video Kind is TV Show

I had hoped this would pretty much select every video file I have. Indeed my shows did show up in the smart list, but the smart list didn't show up on the iPhone and the shows didn't sync either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules