Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 4 8 15 16 23 42

4 8 15 16 23 42 (Page 12)
Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2010, 08:05 PM

Lisa de Moraes - Creators of 'Lost' say they won't tie up all those loose ends - washingtonpost.com

Creators of 'Lost' say they won't tie up all those loose ends"

Oops.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2010, 09:18 PM

Translation: "We came to the sudden realization that we left too many loose ends to tie up in one season, so we just said **** it and tried to hit the big stuff"
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2010, 12:43 AM

I'm so tired of the island and its intrigue. The alternate reality is what has kept me interested so far.

I'm tired of these serpentine plots to nowhere. I'm tired of the smoke monster. I'm tired of watching everyone forced to hike through the jungle. I'm tired of characters being ruined (especially Claire - yes lets make her ugly and crazy). I can't even believe that I'm tired of Jack and Kate, which were the best thing about the show in the beginning. Now they're just walking around depressed.

Make it end, soon.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2010, 10:55 AM

Guys, this is just entertainment - I hope you don't feel obligated to watch this if you don't like it

I ditched BSG at season 4 (two seasons too late, but I learned) though I had felt bored with it for at least two seasons. I just watched it because. No reason.

Bad shows aren't worth your time.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 5, 2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I'm tired of these serpentine plots to nowhere.
You know what ticks me off to this day?? Remember that whole story line with the couple and the diamond smuggling? The spider bite that mimicks being dead and those people being buried alive?? Those other passengers just came out of nowhere. It took up a good chunk of that season (3?) with no point whatsoever. Waste of time and we'll probably never know what the whole story was.

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Guys, this is just entertainment - I hope you don't feel obligated to watch this if you don't like it

I ditched BSG at season 4 (two seasons too late, but I learned) though I had felt bored with it for at least two seasons. I just watched it because. No reason.

Bad shows aren't worth your time.
I've enjoyed it immensely over the past several years and I just want to see how it ends.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I've enjoyed it immensely over the past several years and I just want to see how it ends.
Me too! Only 10 episodes left. - I enjoy the ride more now that I know it's ending soon. The ending itself.. well it's not going to be very good... after all, would any rationale and explanation really satisfy?

No matter what ending has been written, it's going to be silly and contain plenty of plotholes. Much like every single episode of the series so far!

But I like it! It isn't very serious about its plot and message. It isn't preachy and doesn't think it's the new black. It's just Lost and everyone knows it is absurd. ...... right gyus?? Right?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
Who do you think is coming to the Island? (The one Jack and Hurley had to change the lighthouse for)
Looks like I guessed right (Widmore).

What a boring episode, it was basically all fluff and filler.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2010, 10:28 AM

You know what ticks me off to this day?? Remember that whole story line with the couple and the diamond smuggling? The spider bite that mimicks being dead and those people being buried alive?? Those other passengers just came out of nowhere. It took up a good chunk of that season (3?) with no point whatsoever. Waste of time and we'll probably never know what the whole story was.
Miles appreciated it

In my opinion, nothing too special last night. I'm not bored of the show or anything but I just couldn't find myself caring about Ben or his story in the other timeline.

So we've got Jack, Hurley, Sun, Ben, Richard, Lapidus, Ilana, Miles on Team Jacob and Sawyer, Claire, Locke/Man in Black, Sayid, and a bunch of temple people on Team Man In Black with Kate tagging along and then Jin unaccounted for.
Is there anyone else alive on the island that isn't on a team yet?

By the way, what's Sawyer doing? We haven't seen or heard about him since him and the Man In Black went to he cave and he signed up to leave the island. I assume he hasn't left the island since the Man In Black was telling Ben last night that they're planning on leaving.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 08:36 PM

An episode very light on the plot, but I enjoyed the character development of Ben.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 10, 2010, 11:18 PM

Although not a great episode, the confirmation that Richard was a slave/crewmen from the Black Rock was interesting

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 10, 2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Looks like I guessed right (Widmore).
Good call. I still wonder why he cares so much.

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Miles appreciated it
The first thing I wanted to do after I saw that was come on this thread and say "I told you guys!!" That was such a funny coincidence.

An episode very light on the plot, but I enjoyed the character development of Ben.
I agree, the episode was very light on plot. But I can't say I'm really interested in Ben. But I suppose he's going to be important in the end. Maybe he'll be the new Richard. Slave to the Island and it's new White/Black Stones.

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Although not a great episode, the confirmation that Richard was a slave/crewmen from the Black Rock was interesting
VERY. It makes me want to go back and find the scenes where Jacob appeared to the "candidates" in their regular lives. I wonder if "Jacob touched me" should be taken literally. I want to see if he laid a hand on Jack, Sawyer, Hurley anybody, perhaps giving them Richard's same "affliction".

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 10, 2010, 11:49 PM

Oh, did anyone see Michael Emerson (Ben) on The Soup recently? It was actually really funny.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 08:43 AM

VERY. It makes me want to go back and find the scenes where Jacob appeared to the "candidates" in their regular lives. I wonder if "Jacob touched me" should be taken literally. I want to see if he laid a hand on Jack, Sawyer, Hurley anybody, perhaps giving them Richard's same "affliction".
Remember very early on when Michael was unable to kill himself? He was back in NYC and tried a gun but it didn't work. Then he tried crashing his car and that didn't work either.

The people over at the Lostpedia forums are calling this episode one of the best ever.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 11, 2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Remember very early on when Michael was unable to kill himself? He was back in NYC and tried a gun but it didn't work. Then he tried crashing his car and that didn't work either.
But is Michael a candidate??

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 11:38 AM

Was. Probably.

---

The biggest question for me (as this season progresses) is what is the deal with Christian. It seems implied that he was the Smoke Monster as well, but his actions seemed more in support of Jacob's agenda than the Smoke Monster's.

Does anyone remember if, when Locke finds Christian in Jacob's cabin, was the ring of ash broken?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 11:40 AM

IIRC, it was. I seem to remember the camera panning-down to his foot, and the ash was smudged -- and that's why the cabin was all torn asunder. (I just used that phrase for the first time ever!!!)
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 11:41 AM

Which means Christian could have been the smoke monster. Drat. He said he was working for Jacob, though, I think.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 11, 2010, 12:25 PM

If YOU were the Devil, and you were trying to convince people to do what you wanted wouldn't you say you're working for God??

Tricky Bastards.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 12:31 PM

Yeah, yeah, I knew that was coming.

What little of the past 5 season I can remember, Christian is the only version of the SM that cares about the island. As in tries to protect it.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 11, 2010, 12:44 PM

I would imagine the facade of SM caring about the Island, was more patience and biding his time.

If he wants to get off the Island, which presumably, he's attempted before, he knows he has to be patient and wait for the perfect time. And if protecting the Island gets him to the perfect time, so be it.

But really, who knows?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 12:48 PM

Then again, just this week Locke offered stewardship of the Island to Ben.

Damn this show.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 23, 2010, 10:31 PM

best. episode. ever.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2010, 10:59 PM

Finally... progress!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2010, 01:08 AM

The Black Rock musta been one well made ship!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2010, 09:19 AM

That didn't answer as many questions about Richard I would have liked, but god damn, that's two times these season the show has had some amazingly emotionally charged scenes (Jack talking about his Dad to his son, Richard & Isabella at the end)

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 24, 2010, 09:23 AM

Ok. Black Smoke. What do you think is its/his criteria for letting people live or die? Go!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2010, 09:26 AM

People with deep emotional problems? That's about the only commonality I can think of between Locke and Richard.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 24, 2010, 09:32 AM

No.... people the smoke examines. Like Eko in the forest, Ben in the Temple, Richard in the ship, (assumably Claire)

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2010, 10:02 AM

The smoke analyzes people to see if they'll do his bidding--killing Jacob. Then he takes the form of loved ones that have the strongest emotional attachment (Eko's brother, Alex, Richard's wife) to help persuade or trick. Those that he can't influence, he kills outright--provided that they're not a candidate.

My thoughts while commuting this morning.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 24, 2010, 04:18 PM

I wonder where Walter sits in all of this.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 24, 2010, 05:41 PM

I wonder what Kate's purpose is. I mean, she's not a candidate, I doubt the MIB thinks much of her. Is it possible she's just eye candy?? Maybe her only purpose was to take care of Aaron?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2010, 05:44 PM

She's there to seduce, confuse and infuriate candidates.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2010, 06:49 PM

An average episode, I wasn't thrilled by Richard's backstory, but allright it was over pretty quick.

The black smoke guy and Jacob, were much more interesting - which is something of a failure for the writers because they had a very interesting and ambiguous character in Richard and just decided to make him a loon or something.

The special effects of Lost have never been very good and it showed in this episode. Though the black smoke always looks intimidating, the ship scene and most other effects appear very computer-y.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That didn't answer as many questions about Richard I would have liked, but god damn, that's two times these season the show has had some amazingly emotionally charged scenes (Jack talking about his Dad to his son, Richard & Isabella at the end)
Jack talking about his dad to his son? I totally don't recall this scene ...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2010, 09:21 PM

I was left wondering how the wooden Black Rock was left mostly intact yet the stone statue was demolished ...

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 24, 2010, 09:44 PM

I don't think it was the ship that took the statue out. I think it was the wave. After a quick Google, discovered there was a tsunami in the Caribbean in 1867.

dzp111
Senior User
Mar 24, 2010, 10:33 PM

I was almost giving up on this show (was getting bored), but this episode got me interested again.

Finally, some concrete (even-though a tad vague) answers as to who's who and what's what. Good timing as far as I'm concerned for divulging 'many' unanswered questions.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2010, 11:58 PM

I don't think it was the ship that took the statue out. I think it was the wave. After a quick Google, discovered there was a tsunami in the Caribbean in 1867.
Check ur ocean's

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 25, 2010, 09:57 AM

just sayin.... geez. doesn't the island move anyway??

we're in a time/space continuum mash-up, you think geography matters?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2010, 12:36 PM

we're in a time/space continuum mash-up, you think geography matters?
LOST: Island on a Moon -- Obscure Sound

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2010, 09:13 PM

Man I love Sun.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2010, 11:22 PM

Great rack

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 08:35 AM

Now they're just messin' with us. Mikhail gets shot IN THE EYE by Sayid?

Welcome back, Desmond.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 10:47 AM

I loved the obtrusive V timer telling me how time was left on the episode.

Oh wait, no I didn't.

Edit: Interesting but utterly pointless Room 23 callback.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2010, 11:13 AM

I loved the obtrusive V timer telling me how time was left on the episode.

Oh wait, no I didn't.

Edit: Interesting but utterly pointless Room 23 callback.
The V timer? What is that? I'm probably misunderstanding something..

----

It's nice to have sorta pointless callbacks to places or people, in the sense that it adds some feeling of cohesion in the fantasy world that they've created here.

But yeah, it was pointless on the whole. Good to see Desmond back. Damn his father-in-law hates his guts

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 11:20 AM

The V timer? What is that? I'm probably misunderstanding something..
Since you're not in the US, I'm not surprised your local broadcast lacked it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2010, 11:23 AM

Since you're not in the US, I'm not surprised your local broadcast lacked it.
My local broadcast.. yes.. it's not your usual kind. Either way, I'm sure a V timer wouldn't have added anything to it by the sound of it.

Sounds ominous. (was it perhaps a countdown to the next episode of V?)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 11:27 AM

Yes, exactly. Very obtrusive.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 12:16 PM

Oh wait, no I didn't.
That was annoying to the point of making hulu seem like a better option.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules