Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Editorial: Apple still for 'the rest of us,' but who's 'us' now?

Editorial: Apple still for 'the rest of us,' but who's 'us' now?
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 11, 2015, 01:36 PM

Another Apple announcement has come and gone, and while we did get the Apple Watch details we were expecting, we got a bit more. Apple has resurrected the MacBook -- and this time, not clad in plastic. The attractive machine, and by association, Apple itself, is garnering a fair amount of Internet hate, regardless of new technologies, because on some levels it doesn't appeal to -- nor is it aimed at -- power-users.

Editor versus Family

The new MacBook is not really practical for me, nor for some of the staff here. Myself, I work on a 15-inch Retina display all day, and I can't imagine using a 12-inch one for work. I dislike a single USB-C port, regardless of its flexibility, and wonder why the microphone and audio-out port on the right of the case is just that, and not another USB port. So, these two things alone are deal-breakers for me. Let that soak in for a moment: "deal-breakers for me."

However, for my family, this is not the case. Our printers are wireless, and so is our Internet -- so the single USB-C isn't a problem at all. The screen is 12 inches, bigger than an iPad's display by far. Thin and light are great (unless you're a magazine writer who famously tossed his Air with the garbage years ago), and the advantages of the Retina over the regular screen on the 11-inch Air cannot be denied. My family outnumbers the staff here by four to one. Chances are there's someone (or several someones) in your family who would love a new MacBook. The non-nerds outnumber us.

I crave last year's Mac Pro. A cylinder of power beckons to me, regardless of my relatively moderate needs other than some periodic video work. While a purchase was dismissed by budgetary concerns, my family did not bemoan Apple's impending death, or some lack of focus because it merely existed. They weren't offended that it wasn't a super-thin laptop or iOS device that would be more to their tastes and needs. Somehow, they were able to deduce that this product didn't invalidate their own experiences, or feel that Apple was somehow forsaking them in favor of this outlandish, oversized Coke can of a product.

So why, as members of an industry which is supposed to be familiar with new technology and comfortable with the implications of same, are some people freaking out about Apple's design decisions, yet again? Mouse. No floppy. Inclusion of USB. FireWire 400, then 800. Lightning. Thunderbolt. Then no Firewire. Do you think that Apple does these things to speed their own death, or personally antagonize you, the "power user?" Why does every product from the mind of Ive have to tailor to your personal sweet spot?

Doomed to Repeat

MacNN and other enthusiast site readers are estimated to be less than one out of every 50 users of an Apple product these days, well down from the one in five that we had when the original iMac was unveiled in the late 1990s. Who is Apple's audience? Who does Apple need to appeal to most now?

The high-end Apple Watch Edition, starting at $10,000, will sell enough to justify its existence. It's made for the crowd who don't have to ask what things cost. Since I have to ask, its not for me -- and I suspect that everybody I personally know is in the same boat. It's going to sell, far more than enough to justify its existence. But then, Apple's also got a model for the techies and the health nuts, and the more expensive one doesn't make those models any less relevant.

We experienced (and are still experiencing) a similar freak-out when Apple released the latest Mac mini -- which was less "tinkerer" oriented than the previous model. I made two points when I looked at that Mac mini, and they're still salient when it comes to the MacBook. First, "we feel that its intention is to capitalize off the halo effect from somebody whose first device is an iPhone or iPad." How much clearer did Tim Cook need to make this at this week's announcement, since they mentioned that the laptop was developed from experience making iOS devices at least five times?

The new MacBook is -- and this is pretty obvious once one stops pouting about it not being a new MacBook Pro -- designed to appeal mainly to people who use smartphones and ultrabooks as their primary day-to-day computing device. Such a market has different priorities than the power-user; it's really just that simple. They want super-light portability. They want really great battery life. They mostly use wireless stuff, and store much of their work in the cloud. The main thing they're likely to plug into it (apart from the power cord) is probably a camera card reader; everything else is already handled wirelessly.

Second, I said that "just because you may not like the new Mac mini, that doesn't make it a bad computer with absolutely no use, or bad for the company." This is, once again, the case with the MacBook's rebirth. The machine is gorgeous, technically advanced, and if you read this site, likely not aimed at you. This has happened before -- the Mac Pro isn't aimed at most typical users, the MacBook Air of great appeal to power-nerds, the Apple Watch probably looks like an expensive toy to couch potatoes -- and it will happen again.

But Apple loves us! We kept it alive!

Apple owes long-term users nothing, not even this site. How many of us have evangelized Apple products by accident or design? Apple doesn't owe evangelists, that they didn't hire, for that explicit purpose either. We all need to stop being self-entitled about expecting Apple products to tailor to our every whim, and realize that Apple is making products first and foremost for its own future growth, and exclusively for us, the "power user," to the exclusion of all others. If we get included in the venn diagram of users expected to be served well by new Cupertino aluminum and silicon, then that's fantastic. Not everything needs to be, or should be, for "us" anymore.

Power-users aren't being ignored. The new 5K Retina iMac is a stunning machine that, by all accounts, is both an amazingly powerful computer with ports and an exceptional value proposition given the cost of 5K monitors of that caliber. It's not aimed at people who live on their smartphones, it's aimed at creative professionals (which were once -- but are not any longer -- Apple's core audience). The Mac Pro is likely to see a refresh this year, and of course it too is designed and marketed for a niche audience of serious professionals (not just creatives, but scientists, engineers, 3D artists, researchers and many other vertical markets).

The lack of serious updates to the MacBook Pro yesterday may be causing some concern, but it seems obvious to us that an update is just down the road, probably around the time of the Worldwide Developer's Conference. It might even be a big enough update that it warrants its own spotlight, not a "oh and then there's this" afterthought to an event like "Spring Forward."

Some of the wailing and moaning about the new MacBook reminds us of a spoiled older child who is angry that he didn't also get presents when it's his younger sibling's birthday. You're not the center of attention anymore, and you'll get your day later in the year.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
MacNN.com / Electronista.com
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 11, 2015 at 03:37 PM. )

bbh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2015, 01:59 PM

Excellent article. I'd like to port it to a half-dozen other Apple Forums where one guy or another is wailing because it doesnt have a "xxx" port.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 11, 2015, 02:20 PM

Feel free to link it about. We've been playing this Apple release game for a loooong time now...

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 11, 2015, 02:36 PM

It doesn't matter if these products are for me or not. What matters is that I don't have the selection of products that I *used* to have from Apple. That is entirely the point and likely cause of frustration from their "legacy" users (read, not "power").

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 11, 2015, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
It doesn't matter if these products are for me or not. What matters is that I don't have the selection of products that I *used* to have from Apple. That is entirely the point and likely cause of frustration from their "legacy" users (read, not "power").
Out of curiosity, how do you not?

What are you missing?

drbroom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2015, 02:42 PM

having been an Apple "fan boy" since even before the Mac (and an Apple registered developer since 85) I am sad to say not only will I not be purchasing a "watch" but with all the bloatware and problems I have been experiencing with the latest versions iOS and MacOS. I am looking for alternatives in both software and hardware.

I love the hardware "Ives" created and was thrilled when Forstall was shown the door but since he took over OS builds we have seen more bad builds then good and I don't see that changing any time soon.

So for many of us long time the faithful we are looking for the next "device" - "for the rest of us"

-Used to bleed in 6 colors, now crying in just one

prl99
Senior User
Mar 11, 2015, 02:47 PM

What concerns me more than the diminishing ratio of Mac users to macnn readers is the insistence that Apple release a huge update on every product every other month. I'm sorry but even this web site is falling for the typical analysts view that nothing short of a brand new product is enough to keep Apple and AAPL healthy. That's absolutely not what the original Apple users used to feel. Give me a great product and let me use it for several years. I'd rather wait for a better product every 3-5 years than feel like I need to something new every year. For those new to Apple, go ahead and make incremental updates, like the ones made to the Air and MBP when new hardware is available but don't make a big deal about it--and I wish the Apple sites wouldn't make a big deal about how minimal they are either. It's like my cars. I finally replaced both but one of them was used and I will upgrade it's stereo and weird bluetooth/handsfree instead of buying a new car that already has it. I'm a little upset with iFixit's low repair ranking for Apple products because they're difficult to repair but I also like seeing Apple products that don't need to be repaired for their usable life (3-6 years, except for the 2011 MBP, which I just got repaired for free, thanks Apple). I know analysts want repeat sales on a frequent basis but we really don't need them. What we need are more new sales from non-Apple users.

daqman
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2015, 02:55 PM

I think the issue is that "we" are, for the most part, not power users but longtime Mac users. I bought my first Mac Plus in 1985. There has always been technology turnover as Apple embraced new trends or tried to lead the pack (Firewire, Thunderbolt). There are several worrying trends at the moment. The main ones relevant to this article are towards consumer level devices with fewer ports, and a very rapid turnover in technologies. If this MacBook is taken as a standalone device it is a good move with what should be a good consumer base who will embrace it. The issue is that embracing the new USB standard will rapidly lead to that being the only I/O option on a Mac apart from various wireless protocols. Just as the DVD drive disappeared from the Air, MacMini and MacBook Pro, as did FireWire, there is concern that USB-C will soon be all that we have.

I also agree with drbroom. The quality of Apple software and services has been particularly bad. I used to use Pages as my sole word processor until Apple removed features in a recent "upgrade". Other features are just buggy. My Air disconnects from wi-fi and refuses to connect every time I open the lid and there are long forum discussions about the lack of a fix.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 11, 2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by prl99 View Post
What concerns me more than the diminishing ratio of Mac users to macnn readers is the insistence that Apple release a huge update on every product every other month. I'm sorry but even this web site is falling for the typical analysts view that nothing short of a brand new product is enough to keep Apple and AAPL healthy.
We don't feel that way at all. If you listen to the podcast, I regale a tale of (lack of) Apple service that appalled me.

I'd like quality as well. I've been lucky - most of my machines have been durable as hell.

That's absolutely not what the original Apple users used to feel. Give me a great product and let me use it for several years. I'd rather wait for a better product every 3-5 years than feel like I need to something new every year.
This is the computer mentality. Apple's moved to a mobile mentality.

For those new to Apple, go ahead and make incremental updates, like the ones made to the Air and MBP when new hardware is available but don't make a big deal about it--and I wish the Apple sites wouldn't make a big deal about how minimal they are either.
I like to think we're less breathless about it than most other venues. We're Apple-heavy by design, but don't swig the kool-aid.

I guarantee you that I don't stand behind Apple's every move.

What we need are more new sales from non-Apple users.
Yeah, and this MacBook will give it to "us."

Altivec88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2015, 03:07 PM

Its funny how you mentioned who the MacPro is used for. As a 3d artist using Mac's since 1984, This has been the longest I have ever gone without upgrading our machines. I have 12 core machines I bought in 2010 for approx $5000 CAN. Tell me which mac I can buy today for that money that will beat our machines in 3d rendering speeds. This is after waiting 5 years.
I had a 1,1 for ages which I upgraded to octa-core two years ago, only sold it earlier this year when the 2012 i7 Mac Mini pushed bits faster than it ever could. I love the slab-side Pro.

The pro market does not care what the machine looks like. Don't get me wrong, I love the new MacPro but they took an entire processor out which put them back years in terms of what is most important to pro's, and that's processing speed. If the machine was twice as tall and twice as heavy but had another processor, than we wouldn't even be talking. I was still okay with it, thinking, well at least they can now more easily and quickly update the Mac Pro to ramp processor speeds back up. Wrong. Intel released there new Xeon's long ago, yet here we are hoping that we get a minor refresh with-in a 2 year time frame. Like what does it take for them to throw a few employees on this to get it done.
There'll be a new pro this year, but I would have liked to have seen it closer to the new Xeon release, ideally.

You're right. Apple owe's me nothing and I am nothing more than a nuisance to them. I get that. The part that they don't understand and there are many more like me, is that we operate several companies and are responsible for hundreds if not thousands of Macs, phones, tablets, software, accessories for our companies. The heart of my companies are MacPros. If my MacPro's go, everything go.
I guarantee that they know that. I also guarantee that they don't care so much.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2015, 03:15 PM

...well for what it is worth I thought the hardware design was stunning - at 2lbs something I might take along instead of an ipad, despite having a use for all the cores & mhz I can get...

...I just wish the OS would stop churning & start working better, both with this & especially even 'last year's' projects, and the privacy enshrined in the constitution could somehow be confirmed...

David Esrati
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2015, 05:08 PM

Ok- great- it's 12" and has a retina display- and is sturdier than the air.
But- where is the entry level laptop to sell to schools?
We're still living in fantasy land - not repairable- not upgradeable- and not connectable.
iPads aren't the answer.
Mac Minis aren't the answer.
Where is the LCII for schools- and an original aluminum macbook 12" for schools?
David Esrati
The Next Wave
937-228-4433

Makosuke
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2015, 05:14 PM

I've been saying this for *years*--since the original iPad, at least.

Just because the product is not for *me*, personally, does not make it a bad product. I don't regularly use an iPad. Does that mean Apple screwed up? No, it means it's designed for my mother, who uses it as her main machine because it's reliable, touch-easy, and couchworthy, or my sister-in-law, who uses it more than her desktop because she can carry it around easily and doesn't need to know much to make it work. In fact, it's an absolutely fantastic product for those its designed for, and frankly there are a lot more of them than there are of us.

It genuinely surprises me how frequently and consistently the tech press, and even more so tech junkies like myself, can't seem to understand the difference between "not the right product for me, personally" and "a terrible product".

"It's just a big iPod Touch!" *Exactly*.

"It doesn't have an optical drive!" *Exactly*

"It sacrifices CPU speed and ports for battery life and weight!" *Exactly*

The number of times Apple has been claimed doomed or "dead to me" because some particular product wasn't what that particular person wanted is probably countless. If they really don't make anything that does what you want--if you want to root your phone, or you prefer a touchscreen desktop OS, or want a fully open source OS, or like to add a lot of PCIe cards and internal hard drives, or would rather use Google services for everything, then that's great--buy an Android phone, or a Windows laptop, or a Linux DIY box, or a Chromebook. Apple is no longer the company for you. That doesn't make them evil, or a *bad* company, or their products awful, just a company with a product line that doesn't appeal to you.

I own, love, and use an iPhone, 15" MacBook Pro, and 5K iMac, and they do what I want them to. I don't own a new Mini, or a Mac Pro, or a MacBook Air, or an iPad, because they don't do what I personally need as well as other options. They're all still great products. There's something to be said for Android phones, and the Surface, and Linux, and even Chromebooks, as well. Just depends on preference.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 11, 2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by David Esrati View Post
Ok- great- it's 12" and has a retina display- and is sturdier than the air.
But- where is the entry level laptop to sell to schools?
We're still living in fantasy land - not repairable- not upgradeable- and not connectable.
iPads aren't the answer.
Mac Minis aren't the answer.
Where is the LCII for schools- and an original aluminum macbook 12" for schools?
Apple still sells white plastic MacBooks to schools. Also, 11-inch MacBook Airs.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2015, 05:29 PM

Altivec88: you appear not to be aware that the processor in the "coke-can" Mac Pros are upgradeable. If you want to use a newer Xeon and not wait for the upgrade -- go ahead!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Altivec88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2015, 06:46 PM

Thanks Charles, but my point is that the upgrade is an actual down grade. I bought one of the new 8 core mac pro's to see how it compares with what we have and like I mentioned, the machines that I paid less for 5 years ago out-performs it by a substantial margin for 3d rendering. So what's the point of "upgrading". I know a lot of people are into it because of the cool factor but that wears out in a few days, then its just a computer that has to work to make us money. To take a hit in productivity just to be cool is not going to happen while I'm the one running things. Right now our fancy new mac pro is used as an admin machine because no one wants to take a hit on speed.

The only reason I am commenting about this is that the article is basically saying that I should cut apple some slack and that its not all about me. I think after 5 years of waiting for a Pro machine that is a worth while upgrade in performance, I have the right to at least state that Apple is abandonding its power-user faithful.

amiller77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2015, 07:01 PM

I love the look of and lightness of the new MacBooks, and they are ideal replacement laptops for my 2 daughters with 6+ y/o Alu. MacBooks they got before their freshman yr. in college. They love the new design too. My biggest gripe against Apple (besides, "SURELY you could have at least fit another USB-C port on the other side! We KNOW you're going to do that next year, just as you eventually did with the MacBook Airs"), is that Apple doesn't include the USB-C video-out, etc., adapter (&/or USB-C to USB adapter) with the MacBook, like they use to. I know they probably stopped that practice after research told them only 1 out of 5 or 10 actually ever used the video-out cable adapters, but the least they could do is not gouge those who could use them for such a exorbitant price! The billions they have in the bank tells me they could at LEAST do that much for us regular folk (stock price be damned).

amiller77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2015, 07:03 PM

I love the look of and lightness of the new MacBooks, and they are ideal replacement laptops for my 2 daughters with 6+ y/o Alu. MacBooks they got before their freshman yr. in college. They love the new design too. My biggest gripe against Apple (besides, "SURELY you could have at least fit another USB-C port on the other side! We KNOW you're going to do that next year, just as you eventually did with the MacBook Airs"), is that Apple doesn't include the USB-C video-out, etc., adapter (&/or USB-C to USB adapter) with the MacBook, like they use to (back in the days of the 12" aluminum MacBook Pro, and 13" black MacBook, both of which I owned). I know they probably stopped that practice after research told them only 1 out of 5 or 10 actually ever used the video-out cable adapters, but the least they could do is not gouge those who could use them for such a exorbitant price! The billions they have in the bank tells me they could at LEAST do that much for us regular folk (stock price be damned).

amiller77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2015, 07:05 PM

Oops

hayesk
Mar 13, 2015, 02:34 PM

Apple could have easily put another USB port there, but they chose not to. Why? Because they designed it for people who rarely need ports. That's why the dongle is separate. If you need ports all the time, this is not for you. I don't get why people don't understand that.

I know, I know. "But it would be perfect if it had just one more USB port." That's nice. It'd be perfect for you. Someone else would say "it'd be perfect if it had an SD slot" or a separate HDMI port, or whatever. They made the decision on one for a reason that doesn't align with yours. That's all.

Apple makes a small number of models. If you can't find one that meets your needs, then buy something else.

vipm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2015, 02:20 PM

The key word is "Utilitarian". Definition: 'designed to be useful or practical rather than attractive.' Apple products lately, though attractive, are not useful. The Powerbook Bronze (Lombard) was probably the best laptop Apple ever made: beautiful, love to touch, replaceable everything: battery, drives, hard disk, RAM; it had all the ports. Used for more than 8 years and I still keep it 'cuz it's lovely. Why can't Apple make Macs that are great like that? They're coming out with worse and worse Mac products by the day.

vipm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2015, 02:48 PM

The writer of this article might sing a different tune if Apple comes out with a MacBook Pro with only 2 USB-C ports and nothing else -- but oh! it's so thin and light! Big mistake.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 14, 2015, 04:19 PM

Nope, machine still won't be for me.

I remain not butthurt about it. There are machines in the lineup that do what I need.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by drbroom View Post
having been an Apple "fan boy" since even before the Mac (and an Apple registered developer since 85) I am sad to say not only will I not be purchasing a "watch" but with all the bloatware and problems I have been experiencing with the latest versions iOS and MacOS. I am looking for alternatives in both software and hardware.

I love the hardware "Ives" created and was thrilled when Forstall was shown the door but since he took over OS builds we have seen more bad builds then good and I don't see that changing any time soon.

So for many of us long time the faithful we are looking for the next "device" - "for the rest of us"

-Used to bleed in 6 colors, now crying in just one

It kind of drives me crazy that there are users like you that think you have some special understanding of Apple's inner political circles.

We have little to no idea what Ives or Forstall were like, or whether there is a direct connection between their leadership and various realities. There are possibly many other variables at play.

This is like pretending like we know what is going on in a sports team based on what we see on TV.

hayesk
Mar 15, 2015, 11:32 PM

@vipm,

The Lombard was a great machine, but the current MacBook Pros are greater. But I don't miss all this replaceable nonsense. As a pro, I simply don't have time to swap or tinker with any of that. I buy my MBP maxed out from the start and don't regret it. Spending time sourcing and swapping parts costs hundreds of dollars of my time. I don't need any of that. The current MacBook Pros serve me better than the Lombard did would have.

I wouldn't want Apple to go back to making "utilitarian" machines. I want to work with my machine, not on it.

Kees
Mar 17, 2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Apple could have easily put another USB port there, but they chose not to. Why? Because they designed it for people who rarely need ports. That's why the dongle is separate. If you need ports all the time, this is not for you. I don't get why people don't understand that.

I know, I know. "But it would be perfect if it had just one more USB port." That's nice. It'd be perfect for you. Someone else would say "it'd be perfect if it had an SD slot" or a separate HDMI port, or whatever. They made the decision on one for a reason that doesn't align with yours. That's all.

Apple makes a small number of models. If you can't find one that meets your needs, then buy something else.
I want/need OS X, buying something else is not an viable option. For me, this new Macbook is frustrating. I currently have an 11" MacBook Air that is due for an update. There is no 11" MBA with a retina display, which is why I'd love (and probably will get) this new MacBook. But the Air has the ports I want.
I dislike the lag in bluetooth mice, so I usually plug in a retractable cable mouse. Not being able to charge while using a (usable) mouse is a little silly, as is needing an adapter just to plug a mouse in and charge. I do also use beamers quite a bit during the day, so I will need the three port extension thingie. No big deal, I need a display adapter now too. Except that now, i don't have to unplug something first. Or when someone hands me a thumb drive with some extra info, I'll still have to unplug the mouse. Also not a big deal, but not ideal either. One extra legacy usb port would have made this machine so much more versatile, and I disagree that it is unfair to lament it's absence, especially in light of the lack of a retina display on the 11" Air.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by vipm View Post
...The Powerbook Bronze (Lombard) was probably the best laptop Apple ever made...
WRONG. Everybody knows it's all been downhill since the Pismo.

"We" are "us." I work in a small, all-Mac team of about a dozen writers, editors, and designers and I couldn't be happier with Apple's offerings and general quality. Our writers and editors all use iMacs while Production and Design are all on Mac Minis. It all just works. I've been managing the tech here for 5 years and have never seen a hardware problem except in the old Xserves, which I recently ditched and moved all our serving to Minis as well. Software problems are few and far between and seem to happen to the same couple of users over and over so I don't think it has anything to do with their computers.

If I were forced to come up with a complaint, I would bemoan the replacement of Finder labels with tags. We had gotten accustomed to using labels as a sort of versioning/color coding that just doesn't work well now that the colors are just tiny little dots. Sigh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules