Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Trash wants to delete immediately

Trash wants to delete immediately
Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2002, 08:29 PM

Starting today, I dragged an item to my trash and I get a dialog box that says:

"The item "Untitled Folder" will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you want to continue?"

This happens with whatever I put in there!

I ran Disk Utility, it fixed some permissions, but still no joy.

I've gone down to unix, and permissions all look okay. The trash has some stuff in it initially, so I "rm"'d it. Still, I can't seem to use the trash correctly.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

-Chris

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2002, 08:56 PM

are they files from an external drive or drive you've mounted over the network? often the OS likes to delete those immediately.

booboo
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2002, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Big-C:
Starting today, I dragged an item to my trash and I get a dialog box that says:

-Chris
Have you run out of disk space?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2002, 09:10 AM

I bet you were dragging something from your iDisk to the trash. That's when I always get that message.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2002, 02:05 PM

I once had the same problem on the internal drive of my iBook, with one of the accounts. All the other accounts were OK.

I thought it may have been that the .Trash directory was blooey, I tried deleting and recreating it with the Terminal, as root, admin, and the user. None of them worked. I tried changing the permissions. It would then work fine, until the next time I logged in.

Eventually, I just got sick of it, deleted the user account, and started over again. It worked fine after that.

Big-C  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2002, 02:47 PM

Funny - that's what I did this morning.

This is my work computer, so I didn't have time to mess around too much to figure it out. What I tried was:

-Reboot
-Not mount anything
-Create a new folder/file on my desktop & try to delete it. (gave the above error each time, regardless of the file).
-Went in as root, inspected file permissions; tried a few things, but nothing fixed the problem.
-Ran Disk Utility on it to fix permissions. Nothing worked.

So, I just backed up all my stuff to Shared, deleted the account and recreated it with the same username. Moved all my stuff back to appropriate locations and everything's working fine.

I wonder if there is something that controls the trash in the LDAP, but I don't know how to edit the LDAP database, or if I'm right in thinking to look there...

Anyway, thanks to all for their suggestions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules