Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Making a full-length DVD

Making a full-length DVD
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2003, 08:15 AM

Hi all,

I'm doing some tests trying to ascertain whether there's something wrong with the superdrive in my new Ti and want to see if burning a disc from iDVD works (Toast and the Finder don't).

How long can a full-length DVD be, and how can I make one? I've not used iDVD or iMovie before and can't see how to do it without finding a lot of video clips and using them.

I don't mind what the disc consists of, a few photos fading in and out with some background music will do.

Can anyone give me some tips?

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 09:59 AM

60 minutes at high quality
90 at medium quality

you cant do full length DVD's and stuff at the highest quality, i dont know why, maybe security reasons!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2003, 12:06 PM

Commercial DVD's are multi layered and stuff, that's how they manage to get a full 120 or so minutes on a single disk. DVDR's and home burners can't burn multi layer disks.
medium quailty compresses the video more than highest, so obvously you will get more minutes of medium video than high quality video.
It's nothing to do with any security or anti-piracy mesures, it's just what will physically fit on the disk.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2003, 01:09 PM

Hi you two,

Can you give me some tips on how to make one of these?

It sounds as if all I need is a 60 minute chunk of content to burn to disc, but I'm not sure how to make one. iDVD doesn't seem as intuitive as I was expecting. I have very little use for it, myself, I just want to test my drive with it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2003, 06:17 PM

Personally, I think you should just take your computer in to get fixed, given all the problems you've reported with it.

It really shouldn't be giving you coasters every time you burn a (good quality) CD-R at 8X or (good quality) DVD-R at 1X or whatever.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 10:43 PM

If you put a DVD-R disc in the drive, you should be able to fit around 4.5GB of stuff on it. That should tell you whether the drive is working.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2003, 05:31 PM

I know - it is a bit masochistic with all this hassle and questions, but Apple wouldn't go any further with it until I'd tried all this. At least now it's conclusive.

The odd thing is that CDRs burn fine.

Ben

Originally posted by Eug:
Personally, I think you should just take your computer in to get fixed, given all the problems you've reported with it.

It really shouldn't be giving you coasters every time you burn a (good quality) CD-R at 8X or (good quality) DVD-R at 1X or whatever.

sunriser
Mar 10, 2003, 07:44 PM

well...

the obious is to clean out the drive with any cd/dvd cleaner (this did wonderfull thinks to my superdrive when it refused to mount cd)

the less obious think is that you may have a combo drive instead of a superdrive (by mistake?) if you can burn cds but not dvds in the finder...

my 2 cts

Forum Links
Forum Rules