Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Audio Help

Audio Help
Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2007, 02:14 PM

Hi,

I have a 5 CD collection of The Hobbit, a British stage production done for radio. Unfortunately, the sound effects are about 3-4 times louder than the voices, to the point where I think my ears are going to bleed.

I'd like to rip the CD's (that's the easy part), but is there a program that a noob like myself can use to do something about those really, really loud sounds? Maybe a maximum volume filter or something (I just made that up; hopefully it makes sense).

This would be a one-time-use, and since I'm not an audiophile, I'm not interested in learning a complicated (or expensive) program.

Any ideas are welcome - thanks!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2007, 05:22 PM

Get some sort of free waveform editor, like Audacity or just Garageband, and pull down the volume for the spots where the sound effects are. You might be able to get away with some kind of "normalize" or decibel limiter setting as well. Shouldn't be to hard to learn quickly.

Be sure to rip the cds in .aiff or .wav so you can edit them, AAC or similar won't work too well.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2007, 05:44 PM

decibel limiter - probably not.

You can edit this stuff in GarageBand, and either pull down the levels, as mentioned above, or use a compressor on that track, or probably both.

You won't get around fiddling, though the compressor is possibly the simpler just-set-it-to-sounds-okay-to-me-and-export-the-stuff-back-to-iTunes solution

Big-C  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2007, 06:07 PM

Hey thanks - this gives me some hope.

I just tried Audacity and found it to be pretty cryptic. I have access to Garageband at home, but before I go there, which "compressor" do I use - what's in Garageband, or is that another program?

Thanks again (and thanks for the tip on the audio-type; I didn't realize that mattered).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2007, 07:19 PM

a compressor, in audio, reduces the dynamic range of audio material - generally, it's used to reduce "spikes" in audio and make softer passages louder.

Drag your audio file into the empty space in Garageband's arrange area. It will create a new track.

Make sure the track is selected, then click the little "i" Info button. It will show you a bunch of preset effects settings, with the default being "no effects".

Click the "Show Details" disclosure triangle. One of the options in teh effects section below is the Compressor.

The audio type is not that important.

Big-C  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2007, 08:00 PM

Spectacular - thanks!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules