Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AppleID - changing mac.com to me.com?

AppleID - changing mac.com to me.com?
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 13, 2011, 09:13 AM

Hi,

I have a mobileMe account, which was formerly a mac.com account. Everything connected to that account has moved over to me.com, except for my AppleID.

Is there any way that I can alter my appleID to be me.com instead of mac.com? It's rather annoying to see the mac.com address in the top right of the iTunes Store / Mac AppStore.

I have tried logging out of the store and logging back in with the me.com address, which works, but it still shows the mac.com address.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Cold Warrior
May 15, 2011, 09:51 PM

You can try this:
How to Change Your Apple ID

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
May 16, 2011, 04:03 PM

Thanks - but that doesn't work for mobileMe/.mac IDs

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 17, 2011, 01:12 PM

I don't think you can change it. I've tried a few different things but the .mac keeps coming back like a bad dream.

phronetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2012, 04:00 PM

I have the same issue, and it's my iPad that has the issue. For some reason the desktop mail and iPhone mail apps will send from the me.com version of the address, but the iPad will not, and when the message is received there is an old photo of myself attached to the email.

I don't know where the error lies, and the time it has taken to try to fix it has me giving up, because in the end, it only serves to annoy me.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2012, 04:25 PM

Yeah, I get that too. Apple's mail servers reject mac.com as a sender address. I tried to explain it to Applecare but they weren't helpful.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2012, 04:35 PM

You're not using the right server settings then. I have no trouble sending messages using mac.com as my sender.

SMTP Server: smtp.me.com
Port: 587
User: myname (not [email protected], just myname)
Password Type: Normal password
Authentication Type: STARTTLS

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2012, 05:46 PM

It might have been my iPhone. Its been ages since I tried it but it auto configures the account and then refuses to send because of the sender address with no way to change it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2012, 06:54 PM

Oh, I see. Yeah that can be an issue because of the lack of manual configuration.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2012, 07:11 PM

Yup. My phone sends as me.com no matter what. Pisses me off because people think I keep changing my email address.

Forum Links
Forum Rules