Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > single button mouse is simple minded?

single button mouse is simple minded?
prutz11
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2002, 02:28 AM

I posted about the dock yesterday and all the people's responses got me thinking... Can we all agree that the dock is designed to be used with a mouse that has a right click? Actually that the whole OS is designed for right click. I mean click and hold... come on... control click... what the hell... the whole UI simply screams right click me... Why is apple holding onto the single button mouse? How many times do you control click a day? Is anyone loyal to the 1 button mouse?

I have a powerbook so another mouse ain't really an option.

Good times

<edit: mental fart>
( Last edited by prutz11; Oct 3, 2002 at 02:40 AM. )
Polar Express RE-MASTERED >>in 3D<< for IMAX! www.imax.com

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 02:34 AM

I control click about never a day.

I still think a two button mouse causes more confusion that it's worth. I wouldn't mind a tail click or thumb click though. Right-click - no thanks! I absolutely hate that.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Jonnie13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 02:46 AM

I have a 5 button mouse. --The MS IntelliMouse Explorer.

Would I EVER go back to a one button mouse? Gosh, it gives me the shivers just thinking about it! I have been using multiple button mice since '97

Contextual menus and scroll-wheel scrolling are here to stay folks! If you are using a one button mouse, you are seriously hampering your workflow!

Just another productivity area that I don't agree with Apple on.

kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2002, 02:52 AM

I still think a two button mouse causes more confusion that it's worth. I wouldn't mind a tail click or thumb click though. Right-click - no thanks! I absolutely hate that.
Then you're a fool, sorry. A single button mouse is about the equivalent of going through life with one big single thumb on the end of your wrist. Contextual menus and click activated pulldown menus are some of the most useful and accessible menus.

prutz11 - get yourself a multi-button mouse from kensington or similar.
-

I wish, really wish, that Apple would explore a three button mouse and allow the middle click to be used as it is in unix/linux land.

kent m is not a member of any public groups

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by kent m:

Then you're a fool, sorry.
I may be a fool, but I learned to write. Now it's time for you to learn reading.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

dws
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2002, 03:15 AM

I've never quite gotten why people think that click and hold is such a terrible thing. I've always found it to be more elegant than clicking on an entirely different button.

There are applications that I use a multi-button mouse in, but I use the Apple mouse + keyboard in most cases. Perhaps the people who require a multi-button mouse haven't the ability to use both of their hands.

I'm amazed the fervor this debate causes. You'd think that it was something important, rather than simply an issue of style and use.

There are people who actually prefer their MP3 players to have many, many buttons; and hate the simplicity of the iPod. The same holds true with mice, I guess. Personally, I find the IntelliMouse to be over-large and un-ergonomic. But for those who like them, then I'm thrilled that you have something with lots and lots of buttons for you to push on.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Developer:

while originally I agree, but lets face facts just about everyone's first computing experience is not on a mac. They become used to and live by the right click. Just imagine how much worse windows would be to use if it wasn't that 90% of the time what you need is one of the 10+ contactual items.

****, today my prof had open dialog up and after finding the file instead of hitting ok/enter/return, he instead right clicked and opened the file that way. From the open menu! It crashed the app but still...the mentality seems to be 'if you want to do something with whatever, right click on it'

Now, the problem arises when they move over to the Mac OS and only have a single button. At this point in the game a single button is more confusing to a new user then a multi-button mouse.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
****, today my prof had open dialog up and after finding the file instead of hitting ok/enter/return, he instead right clicked and opened the file that way. From the open menu! It crashed the app but still...the mentality seems to be 'if you want to do something with whatever, right click on it'
That is called "over generalization". It can actually happen on the Mac too (with double-clicking). I can't see anything good in it though.

But my stronger caveat against right-clicking is actually physiological ergonomics (or lack thereof) of such a mouse. That's why I said I would prefer tail or thumb clicking.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 3, 2002, 03:57 AM

It wouldn't hurt Apple to add another button and a scroll wheel.

Kensington seems to have made a neat looking mouse here

Anyone used it yet?

I got ticked off at Kensington because I bought one of their USB cams, that will never be supported by OS X.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
This is a good example of the ergonomics I was talking about. This mouse leaves only the leftmost third for 'left-clicking'. Now if you have a single button mouse, look at your hand and see where your fingers naturally rest. Now imagine you'd have to force your index finger all the way to the left to be able to click and hold your middle finger up to avoid clicking the right button at the same time. I wouldn't want to hold my mouse like that.

sadie
Senior User
Oct 3, 2002, 04:16 AM

It used to be that I couldn't live without right-click. Now I can't live without a scroll wheel either. In fact, it seems that companies just haven't made mice with enough buttons for me to handle.

Am I odd, technically minded, a long way from a newbie's experience? Yes. But so are a lot of people nowadays. We live in a world where most computer sales are upgrades rather than first machines, where most people already do have some computing experience.

Once upon a time, all the extra buttons were dangerous, because there was no agreement on what they all meant. In that market, Apple were right to use a one-button mouse. But that's changed. Everybody does agree on what the right button does, and what the scroll wheel does.
All words are lies. Including these ones.

niji
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2002, 06:05 AM

i would like to encourage apple to keep developing the one button gui.
it really is almost "there" anyway, even now.
although it is application dependent, if you hold yr one button down for a second, for example in IE, then it will open a contextual menu. so apple has written in to the OS for this. not all apps use it.
with jag and the system speed up that has come with it, we are almost there with the ability to have a contextual menu that is actually functional, without a second button.
apple: continue in the direction you are going! if the rumor sites are accurate (lol), then apple is actually working on a kind of a, while still single button mouse, a rocker type that would somehow give the effect of second button.

i have to make a comment on an earlier post: someone called a fellow poster a fool, for speaking his own opnion on this subject. i was disapointed to see that.
remember: think different!

stew
Senior User
Oct 3, 2002, 06:59 AM

I think Apple is keeping the single mouse button just for the "we've done it this way since forever and we will do it this way until forever" attitude.
There is no reason not to introduce a mouse wheel and a second mouse button. Just keep stay away from calling it the right mouse button or the second mouse button - give it a real name. Make it the thumb button.
Heck, even Jef Raskin who more or less invented the single mouse button Mac interface is now saying he would use multiple buttons any time.

Stink different.

OreoCookie
Oct 3, 2002, 08:41 AM

Would be heaven for my father. He constantly misses the button on the trackball and hits one of the other two.
He always looks at the trackball before clicking ... I would see that gone as soon as he gets a ProMouse.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 08:55 AM

A single button mouse is OK for an average everyday use. But it's no way practical in a production environnement (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc...) Just the 1 sec click and hold can make you loose 30 minutes a day. I use a 2 buttons mouse and a wacom tablet. One for when I get in a click fest and the other for freehand drawing and pressure sentive control.

It's personal and that's why there is so many different mouses, trackballs and tablets available out there.

Cipher13
Oct 3, 2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by stew:
I think Apple is keeping the single mouse button just for the "we've done it this way since forever and we will do it this way until forever" attitude.
They've changed everything else...

---

I can't stand the "it's too complex" argument - keyboards nowadays have an average of what, 120 keys?

And yet a second freaking mouse button is too complex? People from the Windows world are accustomed to it - the incredibly small amount of first-time buyers will learn; the rest already know it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - anybody who finds having a second mouse button too perplexing shouldn't be using a computer.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2002, 10:05 AM

I don't think this is a big deal at all... I think the mentality behind the one button is:

"you only need a one button mouse if the GUI is designed correctly"

I consider myself a "power user" as I would consider most of the people in this forum. By using Word, email, web and the ocasional iMovie, iPhoto or iTunes doesn't make one a power user. For those, a one button mouse is just fine...

The funny thing is, the better I get, the less I use my mouse...

[edit]

but I must admit that I do have a 5 button mouse now at home... with a scroll wheele...

kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
I may be a fool, but I learned to write. Now it's time for you to learn reading.
Easy there, pardner...

Whatever you were trying to say, multi-button mice (mouses?) are the best way to point and click on a computer at this point, and the standard for that design has pretty much been swept up and set by what the windows folks have put together. Apple missed the boat in a big way there and their dogged refusal to come out to play has more the feeling of an ostrich with it's head in the sand than anything else.

If you were trying to suggest a new way to desgin a mouse - a thumb click doesn't seem to be all that useful - assuming you design a mouse for a right handed person, with the 'thumb button' on the left - what do you do for the left handed people? Design another mouse, or accept that the 'thumb button' is now a 'pinkie button'? Also, clicking the 'thumb/pinkie button' would push the mouse to the other side, so you can't really have two opposing 'thumb' & 'pinkie' buttons.

'Tail click' - you'll have to explain that one...

Kent

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2002, 10:26 AM

It's to prevent developers from releasing programs that RELY on right-click to use certain features. Well, that's what I think anyway.

Cipher13
Oct 3, 2002, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by TommyLeeRoth:
It's to prevent developers from releasing programs that RELY on right-click to use certain features. Well, that's what I think anyway.
That doesn't make sense - you can always take the control-click, or click-and-hold approach, so it's not like you *can* rely on having a right mouse button, as long as the functions are the same as control-clicking.

Unless you include games and specialty apps (3D mainly), control-clicking and right-clicking are pretty much synonymous.

So if Apple were to endorse multibutton mice (don't try to tell me it's "mouses"), where would the problem lie? People who had single button mice could deal with it and get a new one, or stay as is (Apple software wouldn't *require* it, it'd remain the same as it is now).

It's just Apple trying to be different. Vying for "simplicity" in the stupidest of ways.

It's easier for a newbie to grasp the concept of two mouse buttons than it is having to "control-click" something.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 10:53 AM

Well, the original design decision was probably correct, though the methodology was extremely poor. I.e. Jef Raskin arbitrarily decided, based only on his personal experience seeing people learn to use the Xerox Alto, to use a one button mouse.

This required him to invent the concept of double clicking, clicking and dragging for region selection, and dragging generally. But the decision was settled _way_ before the rest of the computer was done, since even the very first Mac had the concept of using the meta keys on the keyboard in conjunction with the mouse, which perhaps wouldn't've happened if it had been better thought through.

The decision was supported by the technical writers, since it was a lot easier to write about clicking than it was to distinguish between two different mouse buttons. Explanations are still difficult as anyone who's had to walk a novice user through doing things on Windows probably knows.

While contextual menus ARE a good idea (they're very good from a Fitt's perspective), developers have an unfortunate tendancy to overload them, as they have been doing to regular menus. As a rule of thumb, menus generally shouldn't have more than 10 items or so, and if they are hierarchical, no sublevels from sublevels ever. The MacOS Apple Menu and OS X Dock Folder Menus are excellent examples of what should never ever be done.

Likewise, it's a really bad idea to overrely on contextual menus. Not all users will want to use them, and there should always be multiple methods of accomplishing tasks. History on Windows shows that there are plenty of programs out there that will rely on the presence of a 2d button and a user savvy enough to know to use it a LOT, no matter how bad of an idea it is.

At present I suspect that the one button mouse is still useful. From an ergonomic perspective, it's likely best if the primary button is large and easy to use. Most Mac users, IIRC, using a one button mouse use something like 3-4 fingers to click, lightening the load on any particular finger. This could also serve to distinguish a 2d button if ever added: left and right isn't really that useful. I'd rather see the 2d button be on the side for use with the thumb, have a different texture, color, explicit markings, etc. (this would probably result in there being three buttons total, with 2 and 3 being identical in function, kent, assuming symmetrical mice)

Anyway, a UI designed for a one button mouse forces developers to think carefully about their UI. They can make things easier still for expert users, but should not be distracted by that from offering a good UI for novices. I.e. Cipher, regardless of the availability of contextual menus via any method, developers should design the UI so that the program works very well without using contextual menus AT ALL. They're a bonus but should not be manditory, nor should the rest of the UI suffer from poor design due to reliance on them.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2002, 10:59 AM

so there's one button on the mouse and the other button is on the keyboard?

and that's superior to a two-button mouse?

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2002, 11:03 AM

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2002, 11:04 AM

A two-button mouse really is more confusion than it would be worth, if it were a first-class interface item. Which is exactly why it shouldn't be. Multiple buttons should be relegated to shortcuts, such as contextual menus; but there should be nothing in any interface that cannot be accomplished using only a single mouse button (by convention, the one on the left).

That is why Apple still ships one-button mice; it goes back to the interface issue. Because one-button mice are default, developers cannot take the lazy way out and assume that someone has two or more buttons, so they must make everything accessible via one button. This, as opposed to the often terrible interface-design mistake we commonly see on Windows, where certain functions can only be accessed via a rightclicking. Developers just get lazy. It's only natural, and it happens to everyone; it's happened to me, too.

That's why shipping with a one-button mouse is so important. To remove the temptation to get sloppy with your interface by making mouse buttons a nonissue; one of your users will have a one-button mouse, guaranteed, so you'd better design your interface around that. And in this, I'm wholeheartedly behind Apple.

For the record, I use a four-button trackball for everything except testing interfaces, where I drop back to one button. Because if I can't make everything work with a one-button mouse, I'm doing something wrong in my interface design.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

technartist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 11:09 AM

A few years ago when the single button Apple mouse on my G3 needed replacing, I bought a 2 button, scroll wheel mouse from LogiTech.

There was a bit of learning curve, I had been using a single button mouse since the days of Apple II, but I learned to use and like this style of mouse. I particularly like the scroll wheel, and the option of using a right click or a menu.

When I bought a "turbocharger" last month (new DP tower Mac), I bought a new scroll wheel mouse to use with it.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2002, 11:30 AM

How is it that so many people are clueless about the mouse button debate?

While Macs ship with only one button on the stock mouse, you can get a bazillion button mouse for less than 20 bucks. By shipping machines with one button, Apple is forcing developers to design interfaces that are still useable with just one mouse button.

Point 1 - There are many instances where multiple buttons can speed up some user's work flows.

Point 2 - There are many users who routinely press the wrong button or even forget about the additional buttons entirely.

While most people here consider the second category of users to be morons, these users are not an insignificant portion of the world's user-base. Do you want to sit around and do minimum wage data entry all day? If not, perhaps its best to make a system that allows the average minimum-wager to do this work.

By shipping computers with a one-button mouse included, Apple is ensuring that _everyone_ will be able to operate the computer without confusion. If there was an option for multiple button mice, nearly everyone would configure their orders with this option. After all, there is a negligable cost difference between one button and two. Why get less when you can get more at the same price? By simply offering multiple buttons, standard, Apple would cause developers to rely on interfaces that only work well with more than one button. By offering only one button, they force developers to support multiple buttons _and_ single button interfaces.

Why is this such a religious argument? Every Apple user is free to use a one button mouse or a multibutton mouse. Are people really that concerned that other users are doing things in a manner they find innefficient? Do these same people get worked up about efficiency in other parts of life?

I always wash my hair first, then my upper body, then my legs... now let me explain why you're a moron if you do it in the opposite order

kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2002, 11:33 AM

Also to be considered is that Apple is currently actively persuing markets where a multi-button mouse is not only accepted, but is the standard and is necessary. Shake, for one example, Maya for another.

Interesting point about the single button mouse leading to more restraint in designing menus. I hadn't looked at it that way before.

The thing about contextual menus as a system is that it provide alternatives and immediately actionable events.

Alternatives in that there can be more than one way to access an item, or launch an event. The Classic Apple Menu may be theoretically a bad idea and I wouldn't disagree, however it has it's place at certain times - I still keep the 'classic menu' options by having installed "fruit Menu" and have placed an alias of the HD in the Apple Menu: when I quickly want to navigate into the HD or get to a specific folder - I love the fact that I can do it and launch the file or open the folder all in one action by clicking once and navigating my way into the HD, rather than launching a new window etc. It's the idea of alternatives that's a very useful concept here. The trouble with laws is that they don't make exceptions.

Immediately actionable events in that there are times when I just want to do things with one quick click, no matter where I am. It's great to have those options immediately under my finger. Contextual menus are lovely in this regard because they greatly expand the number of options available in that one click, depending on the context. I would never advocate having every option or choice from every menu, but it sure is nice to have some available when I do want it.

The other thing I support, though this makes most ui designers cringe, is customization of menus. Set a strong default and let people customize the settings to suit their pref.

The thumb button advocation I'm still having a little trouble with.

I imagine a ui will have to be designed for one button mouse actions until there are no one button mice left.

Kent

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2002, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:

That is why Apple still ships one-button mice; it goes back to the interface issue. Because one-button mice are default, developers cannot take the lazy way out and assume that someone has two or more buttons, so they must make everything accessible via one button. This, as opposed to the often terrible interface-design mistake we commonly see on Windows, where certain functions can only be accessed via a rightclicking. Developers just get lazy. It's only natural, and it happens to everyone; it's happened to me, too.

That's why shipping with a one-button mouse is so important. To remove the temptation to get sloppy with your interface by making mouse buttons a nonissue; one of your users will have a one-button mouse, guaranteed, so you'd better design your interface around that. And in this, I'm wholeheartedly behind Apple.

For the record, I use a four-button trackball for everything except testing interfaces, where I drop back to one button. Because if I can't make everything work with a one-button mouse, I'm doing something wrong in my interface design.
Very well said Millenium. Apparently some people do understand the mouse button issue. (despite what I wrote in my previous rant)

I don't think anyone is really asserting that a single button is best for everyone. Yet, many readers feel the urge to post countless scenarios in which multiple buttons are more efficient or even absoultely neccessary. Wow, contextual menus can be useful? Wait until this hits the presses

These people just can't get it through their heads that not all users are like them.

For the record: I use a 5 button mouse and scroll wheel but use a single button mouse for user testing.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by kent m:
Also to be considered is that Apple is currently actively persuing markets where a multi-button mouse is not only accepted, but is the standard and is necessary. Shake, for one example, Maya for another.
So because a few dozen users have one of the two applications that require a multi-button mouse, Apple should ship them to hundreds of thousands users? I guess every Mac should ship then with a 23" Cinema Display. I mean, some people need them.

You already have a multi button mouse. So just be happy with it, and leave me alone.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
I use a 5 button mouse and scroll wheel but use a single button mouse for user testing.
And even for you - as a multi button mouse user - it is better that Apple ships single button mice only. It guarantees a well thought through user interface of applications, where the context menu can be a welcome addition - not a requirement.

pdot
Senior User
Oct 3, 2002, 12:24 PM

I went from a one button mouse to a five button back to a one button then back to a five button and with the exception of web browsing, I don't notice much difference. I know it's strange, but the OS is designed to be effective even with just one button. Some apps do work better with multi-buttons, but that's usually the professional market that buy their own mice anyway. Sometimes, multiple one button pushes are easier to perform than right clicking and selecting from a menu. For example, I have the get info button in my toolbar. When I'm all caffeinated but too lazy to think, I just click file > click get info > click file > click get info. Right clicking requires me to read through the menu, which varies spatially due to the different locations of the files, whereas the toolbar button is always in te same place.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

iDude666
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 12:41 PM

you guys have to be kidding.. 2 buttons are too complicate for you? wow, what the hell it must be for you when you running 2 apps at the same time!

i just think of those poor switcher. they have a whole new os to learn, but thank god, just one button on their mice... what a relief! must be much easier for them!

every pro apps now work much better with 2 boutons. photoshop, illustrator, golive, flash, etc etc etc.

and one thing i've notice with X, contextual menu are better than any other platform i've tried. you right click and boom, it's there. try that with windows or os9, you had to wait for the menu to configure what should be inside or something. anyway, it's slow. not in x.

anyway, 2 buttons rocks, can't go back to one.

jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2002, 12:53 PM

The Power Macs are for power users and should have at least a two button scroll wheel mouse. Ill bet anyone here that we will see one in the next PM rev.

j

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by iDude666:
and one thing i've notice with X, contextual menu are better than any other platform i've tried. you right click and boom, it's there. try that with windows or os9, you had to wait for the menu to configure what should be inside or something. anyway, it's slow. not in x.
You are either a blatant lier or Mr. Finger Acrobat has never right clicked a text file, has he?

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2002, 12:56 PM

you guys have to be kidding.. 2 buttons are too complicate for you? wow, what the hell it must be for you when you running 2 apps at the same time!
Learn to read pal. No one here is claiming that two button mice are too complicated for them to use. Acknowledging the existance of unskilled users does not make us unskilled users. Someday, when you are in the workforce, you'll have a rude awakening about what average users are actually like.

As also previously stated, ad nauseum, no one is claiming that everyone should use a single button mouse. Rather, that shipping them standard makes developers design interfaces which work with one button _or_ multiple buttons. That way, you can use multiple buttons while other, less skilled users, are still able to function with one.

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2002, 01:10 PM

"you guys have to be kidding.. 2 buttons are too complicate for you?"

Not for us...for the other 99.4% of the world who aren't computer geeks.

"i just think of those poor switcher. they have a whole new os to learn, but thank god, just one button on their mice... what a relief! must be much easier for them! "

Well...yeah.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2002, 01:17 PM

Well, as someone who's had struggles with tendinitis, I can say with certainty that I appreciate the one-button mouse. Not only does it allow you to use your whole hand to click instead of putting the weight on one finger, but it is completely ambidextrous, so it can be easily switched to the other hand without retraining yourself to use the opposite finger.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2002, 01:19 PM

One thing I miss from my days using the Amiga OS, was that you could right click on a menu (at the top of the screen) and the menu would come slide down. Then you could left click on multiple items in the menu, one at a time and each would be activated. The menu would not go away until you right clicked on it a 2nd time or clicked on something else on the screen. This was very useful in font/style menus, as you could click on bold, italic and underlined all with one menu access. There were other advantages as well. I realize that palettes with buttons can achieve the same purposes, although back then with standard screen resolutions of about 640x480 there was not enough space to have palettes for everything.

I don't think that this should be the default behavior, but it would be nice if it was a system-wide option. I could see where it would be useful in applications like Photoshop. I always seem to be importing images, then changing from RGB to CMYK and then choosing auto-levels then changing to 8bits per channel then adjust the image size. This requires four menu accesses (without using keyboard shortcuts) and using the Amiga style menus I could do it with one access and 4 clicks. This also allows you to queue up tasks that take time thus allowing you to switch to another app while all the tasks procede. I know there are probably disadvantages to this scheme, although having more options is never a bad thing.
--Laurence

Hash
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 01:22 PM

I absolutely agree that Apple is right with one button mouse. Anyone who needs two or more button mouse can go and get any device they want. End of discussion. Software support is there, its just a matter of personal tastes.. and the basic functionality is completely provided by the single button mouse.

Though i think mice is not something Apple makes well. I still have the round puck and i hated it so much (and never used it as well).

But i wish that they made a single button mouse with SCROLL whell or similar device to scroll (NEC mice - if you saw them, they great, they have just dont use scroll wheel, they use scroll switch or something like that, very ergonomic and does not make you turn the wheel all the time). This will greatly increase functionality of apple mouse.

iDude666
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 01:28 PM

it's funny noisefloor, because all pc users (they were no pro, believe me) that sees my mac, they all use to ask me one question: you don't have a scroll wheel on that?

for the text file, well.. and you have is copy/paste/cut in that menu. pretty simple. it doesn't have to find all the apps that it could open the document you right click. X does that very very fast.

and ok, the word was more 'confusing' than 'complicated'.
i'm trying to understand this one. the new user right click somewhere and a contextual menu appears. ok then, he now click with the left button. after that, he right click somewhere else. a contextual menu appears. oups, left click works. i'm pretty sure that after an hour he will get it. if after 2 days, he's still right click everywhere and don't get it, he's probably too dumb to own a computer in the first place, don't you think. i would also suggest that he get rid of his remote control for the tv.. they are probably too 'confusing' for him with more buttons that on/off/numbers. what the hell is that previous channel button man?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 01:37 PM

We are a family of switchers.

My wife does not miss the three button PS/2 mouse she had on her Windows 98 box. In fact, she quite likes the Apple pro mouse.

At first, I was very against the idea of one button, klinging on to my USB optical MS mouse. But, when it broke and I was too lazy to go to Fry's to get a new one, I tried the Apple pro mouse.

Now, that's all I use and I don't miss the extra buttons or wheel at all. I code all day, and all my editors have vi-like keyboard shortcuts that are infinitely faster than scrolling.

For things that don't have such shortcuts, there's always page up, page down.

Here's an interesting side note. The MS mouse broke in such a way that the left button would actually register multiple clicks each time I clicked it. This made it impossible to use for everyday tasks.

But, where the multi-button mouse comes in handy--RTCW--this new "feature" of my mouse is very handy indeed! You've never seen someone empty out a Colt .45 faster
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 01:40 PM

if after 2 days, he's still right click everywhere and don't get it, he's probably too dumb to own a computer in the first place, don't you think. i would also suggest that he get rid of his remote control for the tv.. they are probably too 'confusing' for him with more buttons that on/off/numbers. what the hell is that previous channel button man?
I really hate this elitist arrogant ******* attitude. If you are too dumb to understand that not everybody is a computer geek and/or interested in learning all this stuff, then maybe you should stop making decisions for those people.

jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2002, 01:47 PM

2 button scroll wheel mouse - power user - efficient - power mac - titanium powerbook

1 button mouse - new user - stubburn old dog - iMac - eMac - iBook - apple II

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by iDude666:...
if after 2 days, he's still right click everywhere and don't get it, he's probably too dumb to own a computer in the first place, don't you think.
You sir, are an ass. Not everyone is a techno-weenie computer geek.

I'm sure there are plenty of things you can't do that these people are quite proficient at.
- Can you change your own oil?
- Do you remember everyone's birth date?
- Can you pick up women?
- Do you vote?
- Do you exercise?
- Is your diet balanced?
- Can you engage anyone in pleasant conversation on a topic of their choice?
- Have you ever ran out of gas or had an automobile accident?
(all rhetorical)

Take off your blinders and realize that not everyone in life has the exact same skill set as you!

iDude666
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 01:57 PM

oh come on developer! a friend of mine is exactly like this and the last thing he wants is a computer. even if i tryied to make him buy one for music, he was in love with my iPod and tried to make him bought one with a imac. some people, like the ones who don't understand 2 buttons, simly don't want a computer and don't want to understand it.

if they had a 'control-click' fonction, it's because it's pratical, no?

but jay999 has a great suggestion! at least, i would love to see apple do a 2 bouton mice for their pro user. because i'm collecting their one button mice. it's like i'm waisting money on them just so i can put the in a shoe box

aloner
Oct 3, 2002, 01:58 PM

Once I got used to a multibutton mouse, the Apple mouse feels outdated.

Web surfing and game playing is much easier with a multibutton mouse. At least for me.....

prutz11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2002, 02:04 PM

A single button mouse is easier? What I really hate is trying to explain the whole control click thing to a switcher. Yeah... there is no right click... but you can hit the control button and then click and it's sorta the same thing as right click. But... um you can buy a mouse with right click. Then they look at you like you are a retard and ask... so I have to use the keyboard to right click? The whole idea that a single button mouse is easier has been destroyed because 95% of the world... the windows contingent, etc., were brought up using a 2 button mouse. Going back to 1 button after having two is like cutting off a few fingers to a switcher. This goes back to my whole, if apple wants switchers they need to have a couple parallels with the computing masses thing.

The argument that Apple keeps a single button mouse to keep developers on their best behavior is amazing to me. If that is true, which I highly doubt, it would be the dumbest thing a company could do. It would be like a car company not including airbags so that we drive safer. Your telling me apple could not have some guidelines that force better engineering, rather than having some hardware that forces better engineering?
Polar Express RE-MASTERED >>in 3D<< for IMAX! www.imax.com

iDude666
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 02:07 PM

>You sir, are an ass. Not everyone is a techno-weenie computer geek.
i'm no computer geeks, i hate computers. in fact, that's why i have a mac!
don't tell me i'm a computer geek because i've realise that when i right-click on something, a menu appears..

>Can you change your own oil?
nope, i don't have a car! too much trouble for me! LOL

>Do you remember everyone's birth date?
yup and a lot, and telephone too. i have a talent for that!

>Can you pick up women?
too bad your not one huh!

>Do you vote?
for the independence of quebec, yes.
if i we an american: bush. yeah right!

>Do you exercise?
3 times a week in a gym

>Is your diet balanced?
vegeterian since 6 years

>Can you engage anyone in pleasant conversation on a topic of their choice?
choose one, you'll see. i'm well educated about a lot of stuff.

>Have you ever ran out of gas or had an automobile accident?
one accident, but i wans't driving! hehe!

stop calling me an ass because i don't think you have to be a genius to understand a 2 buttons mice

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2002, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
It wouldn't hurt Apple to add another button and a scroll wheel.

Kensington seems to have made a neat looking mouse here

Anyone used it yet?

I got ticked off at Kensington because I bought one of their USB cams, that will never be supported by OS X.

I also bought a Kensington web cab that isn't supported in OS X. It was $20, so I'm not too mad. Still, it would've been nice.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 02:18 PM

stop calling me an ass because i don't think you have to be a genius to understand a 2 buttons mice
No, I call you an ass because you offend people who don't understand 2 button mice. It doesn't matter if they are geniuses or not, they are still people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules