Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Joining the club... finally ordered my iBook

Joining the club... finally ordered my iBook
Cipher13
Aug 1, 2003, 07:37 AM

Well, I finally bit the bullet, after months of not being bothered to pick up the phone.

iBook 900 / AirPort / 60 gig / combo / stock RAM.

I'm gonna upgrade the RAM myself... forget paying Apple prices for RAM.

I'm excited.

This will be my third iBook... they all rule.

(I had a 600 for a while, but I didn't own it; I now have a decapitated 500; and now the 900).

lipstick.smears
Aug 2, 2003, 03:38 AM

Congrats! I have the one just before yours 800/40 gb I love it!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Well, I finally bit the bullet, after months of not being bothered to pick up the phone.

iBook 900 / AirPort / 60 gig / combo / stock RAM.

I'm gonna upgrade the RAM myself... forget paying Apple prices for RAM.

I'm excited.

This will be my third iBook... they all rule.

(I had a 600 for a while, but I didn't own it; I now have a decapitated 500; and now the 900).
The 900 is a great machine... I used one the other day and was seriously impressed. I had forgotten just how compelling they are!

Hope you enjoy it!

off/lang
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2003, 04:58 PM

how fast do the 900s feel? My girlfriend has a 700 and it feels kinda sluggish. I have a 1GHz Ti-book (for reference).
dearinter.net consensus life coaching.

aloner
Aug 8, 2003, 03:15 AM

Congrats!.

My new iBook 900/12�/Airport/40GB arrived yesterday so I�m new to this club too.

I added a 512MB memory module from Crucial. I couldn�t be happier with the machine. Great performance and looks.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 03:53 PM

I guess I eally dont understand why anyone for a mere $50 more, wouldnt get the 60 gig HD instead of the 40.

My 700 combo 20 gig is almost ready to be traded up!!!

my original 500 - 700 jump was major!, I can only imagine a 700- 900 jump.

congrats!

aloner
Aug 8, 2003, 06:39 PM

Actually it�s �70 in Europe. Anyway I find those �70 better spent in an Airport card.

I have plenty of GB free in my PowerMac dual.

Cipher13  (op)
Aug 16, 2003, 04:37 AM

Yeah, I thought the $90 AUD for the extra HD space was a complete bargain. Awesome.

That, and I get a $300 rebate if I buy an iPod with the iBook! I only just found out about hte deal. So I'll be making that happen... 15 GB iPod here I come!

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2003, 07:36 AM

I can't wait to get an iBook. Been lusting over the idea for a couple years and maybe this winter or next spring I'll finally get to toss this 200 pound desk (and the virtual chains to my ankles hehe) out the door! Sweetheart's gotta Compaq laptop and I keep wishing my computer was mobile like hers. Besides, when there's a real beauty sitting on the couch (not the computer heh), wouldn't it be nice to sit beside her?

I'll be jumping from a 1999 iMac DV SE and that will be a really liberating experience. 400MHz to 900MHz+ and 8MB video to 32MB+, are two good things! Maybe I'll even be able to catch the next iBook update too and be further floored.

Can't wait to burn a CD on a Mac for a change! So tired to FTP'ing to wintel machines in the family... If I never see another 8chara~1.ext file name again on a burned CD I'll be happy!

Had a chance to see my first Apple store and check out the iBooks a couple weeks ago. Had to drive 7 hours and jump out of Canada to do it, but it was worth it. It convinced me iBook was the way to go.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 08:37 AM

Congrats! The 900 is such a sweet machine (as all iBooks are).

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Aug 16, 2003, 01:33 PM

Hey all.

I'm a proud owner of a 500 mhz iBook. But, here's my two cents:

Why would you buy a top of the line iBook, when the better Powerbook is around the same price?

I dunno..maybe it's because I've been using the G3 processor for almost 7 years now First with my Beige G3 (which, I will soon be getting $130 back from Apple for buying OS X, thank you, God. Not to worry..the $130 will be going right towards the G5 piggy bank.)

I just can't stand using G3s for another second. But I'll have to wait until Feb, anyway

Cipher13  (op)
Aug 17, 2003, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by WinsOBoogi:
Hey all.

Why would you buy a top of the line iBook, when the better Powerbook is around the same price?

I dunno..maybe it's because I've been using the G3 processor for almost 7 years now First with my Beige G3 (which, I will soon be getting $130 back from Apple for buying OS X, thank you, God. Not to worry..the $130 will be going right towards the G5 piggy bank.)

I just can't stand using G3s for another second. But I'll have to wait until Feb, anyway
Around the same price?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by WinsOBoogi:
Hey all.

I dunno..maybe it's because I've been using the G3 processor for almost 7 years now

What's the point? Usability is the name of the game. Of course, I can't convert media data like divx and mpeg 1+2 etc. in a resonable time, and it would be great if I could, BUT: An iBook is the _perfect_ mobile computer: Small, light, full-featured (ok, no DVD-R), beautiful. And it runns Mac OS X. Even light Photoshop etc. work is pretty good. So why blaming the G3. It works. Not to mention that I'd love to see a faster/different CPU in iBook/Powerbook, but that's not the way it is.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2003, 08:32 AM

I may be easy to impress since I come from almost 10 years of sub 25MHz computers (couple weeks to render a few hundred frames in a 3D scene hehe), but what I've seen from 900MHz G3s is very impressive compared to my last 4 years at 400MHz.

I can see speed being completely essential in a business environment where the greater number of clients dealt with (involving some computer process of product creation/delivery) means larger revenues. On the home/student front, converting one media format to another is something one should feel free to walk away from the computer during or multitask at least. I've done some Strata 3D rendering while on the 400MHz iMac and I was free to continue my daily computer work and not really notice if it took 5 minutes or 10 minutes.

Just sharing relativistic experience, but a G3 at any is just fine for me, even when I am converting media with Quicktime or some other app.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
Just sharing relativistic experience, but a G3 at any is just fine for me, even when I am converting media with Quicktime or some other app.
ADMIT IT: It would be nice if it was faster!!!

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2003, 09:34 AM

Hehe, well ya! Of course!

Zoom zoom!

;P

Forum Links
Forum Rules