Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Reception confirmation in Mail?

Reception confirmation in Mail?
Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 03:13 AM

Cannot find anything in Mail Help nor here in the forum.
I would like to have a confirmation when the addressee opens the email I have send.
Thanks.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 07:34 AM

AFAIK only Thunderbird (on Mac that is) does this… but the addressee has also to use Thunderbird.

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 07:45 AM

That would mean that this confirmation-item is a application-only matter, and not included in "standard email protocols", as far as that would exist?

i was told Outlook on Windows is doing it, so that is also Outlook-Outlook only then?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 12:53 PM

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 01:01 PM

Tetenal, thank you. But indeed not the cleanest way if all messages are going to be included.
Thanks anyway.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 03:25 PM

Some would say that it is a blessing that you can't do this in Mail as, frankly, it is a largely worthless feature and damn annoying to boot. Either the software should force all people receiving the message to automatically send a response saying they have opened the message (which is not only obnoxious but also very misleading - just because a message has been opened doesn't mean that it has been read), or the software should forget about it altogether. The Outlook approach is braindead from the start: it prompts you to send a response to say it has been read which means the results the sender gets back are woefully inaccurate as it doesn't tell them how many people have read your message at all, only how many have opted to tell them so... Even worse, it definitely doesn't guarantee that they read the message because of the idiotic design that shows you this dialogue before you have seen the bloody message - it would probably work a heck of a lot better if it asked you this once you had actually had a chance to look at the the content of the e-mail.

Personally, it annoys the crap out of me when I get a message like this at work as it interrupts my workflow to dismiss a stupid dialogue, one where I will never opt to send a response to say that I have read the message - mainly because at that time I haven't and I have just checked it very quickly to see if it is anything important (invariably it is not). <end rant>

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 04:22 PM

If there were a way to get a confirmation of every e-mail message that didn't require the recipient to explicitly send the receipt, the spammers would have a field day with it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
If there were a way to get a confirmation of every e-mail message that didn't require the recipient to explicitly send the receipt, the spammers would have a field day with it.
Indeed. Hence the my labelling of such a design as obnoxious.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2008, 05:09 AM

That didn't work for me (two Macs after it being enabled with Terminal), anyone got it working?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2008, 12:34 PM

Why do you want to do this?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
That didn't work for me (two Macs after it being enabled with Terminal), anyone got it working?
I don't think Mail ever sends receptions confirmations, even after enabling that. Afiak this only requests the reception confirmation from the receiving mail client.
I didn't try this myself though (I too think this is a useless feature).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2008, 04:01 PM

Yes, I don't intend to use it really, it's just a friend asked me about this particular issue cause he runs a business and hates to have to rely on PCs anytime he has to contact with Casio Europe mother ship… silly enough ((or not) Entourage 2008 doesn't sport this feature while Outlook (PC of course) does. Thanks anyway.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2008, 02:07 PM

OK, I get notifications on Apple's Mail Inbox regarding the e-mail I sent was read once the addresse computer is…
- a Mac running Thunderbird
- a Windows PC running Outlook

Forum Links
Forum Rules