Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sending an SMS Text Message via Address Book using Bluetooth?

Sending an SMS Text Message via Address Book using Bluetooth?
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2008, 02:38 PM

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to set up a friends mobile (Sony Ericsson w910i) so that it can connect to his iMac via Bluetooth so that he can send and receive text messages. We have setup the phone so that it can connect with the iMac and it does so fine, however the mobile then tries to connect via WAP to the internet and we do not want this. I simply want to send Text Messages. Therefore can anyone tell me where i'm going wrong? I know that I then need to send a text via clicking on a contact in Address book and selecting text message but if anyone could give me detailed directions that would be extremely helpful, thanks a lot!

Currently:

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2008, 02:51 PM

All telephony features have been removed from Address Book in Leopard.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 03:29 PM

You can send SMS messages via iChat which doesn't require use of your phone.
Vandelay Industries

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Okay, thanks a lot!

I'll try this now...

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 04:01 PM

Check this out.. works very well.
Visual Voicemail and SMS Text Messaging with CallWave Widgets
(see Text Messaging)

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
All telephony features have been removed from Address Book in Leopard.
Damn! I just discovered this while trying to show a friend that very feature. Any word from Apple? That was a very useful and awesome feature, a good exemple of Apple's "Wow! it just works!" effect.

The widgets I found on the web look promising so far, but it was much faster and easier the way it was before... Very sad decision..

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 3, 2008, 09:24 AM

This is very nice to know. I just played with it using iChat, and it's very simple and easy to use.

Interestingly, when you go to iChat help, the only "Support Article" that comes up tells you that you can send SMS messages from Address Book-but of course Address Book's help has nothing about SMS at all. Looks like somebody dropped a ball somewhere in between updating Address Book and updating iChat.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2008, 09:46 AM

if ur looking to spend a few bucks, and you have a supported bluetooth phone, BluePhoneElite 2 from Mira software is pretty slick. It has an SMS center as well as a Call center in the interface for saving, organizing, deleting SMS messages without every having to touch your phone. Accepts incoming calls and allows you to use your mic to answer the call, also mutes itunes or whatever you have playing until the call is over. very cool!
ccfccp

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I do not see that feature, in Preferences I see you can "Configure AIM Mobile forwarding", I guess you have to fill that in (assuming you have an USA telephone account?

Cold Warrior
Apr 4, 2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman View Post
I do not see that feature, in Preferences I see you can "Configure AIM Mobile forwarding", I guess you have to fill that in (assuming you have an USA telephone account?
I wonder if it works internationally if one fills it out to include country code.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 02:22 PM

File -> Send SMS…

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2008, 03:36 PM

Wow. I never noticed that apple removed that from the phonebook. That feature definatly WAS part of the apple "wow" factor.

But I've got bluephone elilte 2. I don't like it. I've got a very simple Nokia 6133 and only half of the features work. Their first version was better.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
File -> Send SMS…
No way, not here. I guess you get billed via your cellular phone company?
There simply is not such a thing as File -> Send SMS. I checked on several Macs, asked some friends from other European countries, but no, we do not have that. Strange though.
Maybe someone from Europe can confirm?

kilechki
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2008, 10:35 AM

You can't send sms from iChat in Europe. The only way to do it was to use Adress Book and bluetooth but it's gone...

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2008, 12:10 PM

Since Leopard was introduced I am using this one:

Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - emitSMS

and find it quite good.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2008, 12:21 PM

Maybe someone from Europe can confirm?
Americans have to pay for receiving SMS. That's why you can send them for free in iChat.

Everywhere else in the world you pay for sending SMS and receiving is free (receiving is not under your control, so you can not be charged for it). Since there is no way to pay for the SMS when using iChat you can not do that.

It really sucks that Apple took all telephony features out of Address Book.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by kilechki View Post
You can't send sms from iChat in Europe. The only way to do it was to use Adress Book and bluetooth but it's gone...
Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Americans have to pay for receiving SMS. That's why you can send them for free in iChat.

Everywhere else in the world you pay for sending SMS and receiving is free (receiving is not under your control, so you can not be charged for it). Since there is no way to pay for the SMS when using iChat you can not do that.

It really sucks that Apple took all telephony features out of Address Book.
Thanks, that is what I thought.

Forum Links
Forum Rules