Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Audio CD Ripping Apps?

Audio CD Ripping Apps?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2008, 04:05 AM

I'm looking for a good app for ripping MULTIPLE audio CDs at the same time. The only app I know of that can do this is Max.

Max is a good app but it has some big flaws. It uses a very poor tag lookup site (MusicBrainz), which is missing LOTS of music. And while it can rip as many CDs as you have at once, clearly this is an "afterthought". You can tell this by the way your screen gets completely flooded with windows when you rip. Each cd opens a new window, and that window stays open while the CD is ripping, and doesn't close until after it gets encoded. So if you're ripping from a lot of drives at once, you're going to end up with an unmanageable number of windows on your screen.

So I'm wondering what other options I have for multiple-cd ripping?

There are a long list of features that I want in a cd ripper, but at this point I'm curious about ANY other apps that can rip multiple CDs at once.

moep
Senior User
Apr 16, 2008, 03:02 PM

I don't know of any mac application that could come close to Max when it comes to ripping Audio-CDs. One could try to build a bash-script with a bunch of terminal applications to get a similar result, but Max still is the way to go.

While I've never ripped multiple Audio CDs at the same time, there's a nice Applescript that allows you to import the CD titles from iTunes (which has pretty much flawless recognition thanks to Gracenote). That doesn't solve your window-problem but it might still help you.

See: sbooth.org • View topic - Get iTunes Metadata AppleScript [v0.2]
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2008, 03:09 PM

I saw that script but it won't work, I'm ripping from 13 cd roms at once. Oh well I guess i'm stuck with Max for now.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2008, 04:00 PM

If you could find a simple single-ripping cd app that lets you specify a location for the ripped files, you could just launch 13 instances of that program theoretically. I'm thinking iTunes wouldn't be great for this because each one might end up trying to write to the same xml file.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2008, 08:27 PM

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2008, 10:50 PM

Actually not looking for windows apps.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 12:56 AM

The lame mp3 encoder will handle the ripping part of the equation, and can produce excellent quality VBR files. The only problem is that it doesn't do the ID3 tag entry via Gracenote, but if you can do this programatically you could easily combine this task with lame/mlame.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 06:44 PM

I once did it with a lot of CD readers attached to one Mac, put all CD's in, and iTunes takes them one by one until finished. That said it means you do not have them imported at the same time, but it gave me time to do other things, before all 8 CD's were finished.
Probably not what you are looking for though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules