Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > New BOINC project: Lattice

New BOINC project: Lattice
zombie67
Senior User
Jun 7, 2007, 08:05 PM

The Lattice Project

They have applications for OSX (both PPC and Intel!), Win32 and Linux32. Come on aboard!

Research:

Here are some of the projects and analyses being run on Lattice.

The Edwards laboratory is using the HMMPfam service to compute Pfam assignments for all bacterial, plasmid, and virus protein sequences from Swiss-Prot, TrEMBL, GenBank, RefSeq, and TIGR's CMR, plus an inclusive set of all plausible Glimmer predictions from RefSeq bacterial genomes. These protein sequences, and their Pfam assignments, are used in the Rapid Microorganism Identification Database (www.RMIDb.org). The HMMPfam service is also being used as a model for "data-heavy" bioinformatics applications on the Lattice Grid infrastructure, a collaboration between the Cummings and Edwards laboratories.

The Cummings Laboratory is using gsi to assess the performance of the statistic in a variety of situations.

Maile Neel and Joanna Grand are using Marxan to quantify the effects of poor and incomplete data on the ability to capture biological diversity in nature reserves.

The Laboratory of David Fushman is running proteinrotein docking algorithms on Lattice. When driven by experimentally derived constraints, these will help in modeling the structures of large multi-subunit proteins, and the interactions of such proteins with various ligands. CNS is the featured Grid service in this project.

Floyd Reed and Holly Mortensen from the Laboratory of Sarah Tishkoff have run a number of MDIV and IM simulations through The Lattice Project. These are studies in molecular population genetics that seek to use DNA sequence polymorphism to estimate the times of divergence and migration rates among ethnically diverse human populations in Africa.

ChillyWilly5280
Jun 8, 2007, 12:21 AM

Wow, those are some big WUs. Hope my single G4 can finish before it's due...

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by ChillyWilly5280 View Post
Wow, those are some big WUs. Hope my single G4 can finish before it's due...
Not really. They haven't yet implemented checkpointing, and the time estimates are *way* off. They finish between 2-4 hours on my 1.33 G4 so far. No worries!

ChillyWilly5280
Jun 8, 2007, 07:20 AM

Boy was I surprised when I got up this morning and my 188 hour WU was gone. At first I thought BAM had screwed me again, but no I'm still attached to Lattice. Kinda nice for a change as opposed to Einstein and SZTAKI's rather large WU's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules