Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Out of work? Sue your college

Out of work? Sue your college (Page 3)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Not necessarily - if it's a choice between a sixteen-year-old who just got their license and a nineteen-year-old who's been driving for three solid years but happens to not have a valid license, I'll still take the 19 y/o over the kid with no experience.
Yeah, but that's the opposite of your college degree situation. It's much more likely its the younger one thats unlicensed and the older one that's licensed.

But what if they're both 16 year-olds? Or both 19? Who are you picking then?

---

I'll assume you agreed with the rest of my post you didn't reply to, as it was really awesome and completely correct.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2009, 04:31 AM

I have my drivers license.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 7, 2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I'll assume you agreed with the rest of my post you didn't reply to, as it was really awesome and completely correct.
That's what I usually do. Only problem with that is with the obtusely verbose posters who you can't possibly address everything they write. Best way to not get a response from me is to write a two-page scrolling post.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I have my drivers license.
Long-form or short-form?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
That's what I usually do. Only problem with that is with the obtusely verbose posters who you can't possibly address everything they write. Best way to not get a response from me is to write a two-page scrolling post.
Validation is the fact that she's abandoned the thread.

Good news, everyone, we win!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2009, 10:36 AM

, not having a degree wholly and unequivocally nullifies any experience you may have.
it's really simple: all other things being equal, a single factor makes the difference. If he had a degree, it might be something else.

Education standards from kindergarten on up have gone down the drain. We're too concerned with a child's self-esteem and making sure they follow their dreams. The result is that you have people in their twenties and thirties who don't comprehend the fundamentals of grammar, arithmetic, and critical thinking.

The technological revolution has, in some ways, made us a lot stupider. We don't have to think anymore. We don't have to retain anything, because it's much easier to whip out our iPhones and Google something that we can't quite remember. We learn how to write poorly, because the only written word we confront outside of the classroom is on sites like Myspace and Facebook, so basic grammatical and spelling errors propagate through the Internet like bushfire, and you end up with college graduates sending corporate memos that are practically incomprehensible because of the lack of proper grammar and spelling.
university isn't about memorizing facts. That just makes you a ficking know-it-all. The basic university skillset is *knowing where to find* information, and then knowing what it means, and what to do with it.

Google has made the first trivially easy, but the latter two are still real skills that make an obvious difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules