Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Predictor@Home

Predictor@Home
zombie67
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 08:08 PM

Predictor is back! They are testing new applications for (get this) linux and OSX (both PPC and Intel). No windows yet. Nice for Macs to be first for a change!

reader50
Administrator
Feb 6, 2007, 11:00 PM

From the source:
Originally Posted by Predictor Website
02/06/07

NOTE: We are currently doing some testing of a new application called dTASSER on 32 bit linux, 64 bit linux, MacOS X G4 and G5, MacOS X Intel. We are also in the process of upgrading the boinc server software to version 5.9.2. In the process of the testing and upgrades the web site may have problems.

There are 10,000 short dtasser test jobs waiting to be run. When these finish we will look at the output and make whatever adjustments that are needed before sending out more. Windows versions of dTASSER will follow as soon as we can figure out how to compile it.

ChillyWilly5280
Feb 18, 2007, 02:12 PM

Is anyone else getting WUs that appear to hang at 99.xx%? I have three G4 7450s running 10.4.8 with WUs that get to that point and seem to stop - even the CPU monitor shows idle while the WU is supposedly running.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 18, 2007, 02:47 PM

Not exactly, but I'm using the CLI. Checking top showed only two dtasser instances, when there were supposed to be three. Stopping & restarting produced three, so one of them may have been stuck. I'll investigate the status files the next time it happens.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 18, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChillyWilly5280 View Post
Is anyone else getting WUs that appear to hang at 99.xx%? I have three G4 7450s running 10.4.8 with WUs that get to that point and seem to stop - even the CPU monitor shows idle while the WU is supposedly running.
I had a couple like that. There are a number of threads on the Predictor site about it. They are aware of the issue, and working on a solution. FWIW, I had this happen only on PPC. My intel machines have not had the problem (at least not yet).

Billy
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2007, 07:41 PM

Yes, I have had several. If you set the "switch between apps every ___ minutes" to a higher number, like 120 or 180 minutes, instead of the recommended 60 minutes this will help somewhat.

ritzl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by ChillyWilly5280 View Post
Me too. What is the right thing to do with them. Abort? Or reset something and let them run to see if they self-resolve? these were the first two for me of the new WUs from Predictor.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 20, 2007, 09:23 AM

I will let them run until they hit about 2x the normal processing time, then abort them. Haven't had one in several days now (fingers crossed).

reader50
Administrator
Feb 20, 2007, 03:00 PM

Checked this morning, all three dtasser processes had stopped using CPU. Since I'm crunching only Predictor just now, it's not hanging on the hourly project switches.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 20, 2007, 03:55 PM

Ah! Predictor doesn't have any checkpoints yet. It's on their to-do list, as well as using less RAM. See this thread:

10x WU lenght = checkpoints needed

If you crunch more than a single project on machines with Predictor, you need to increase your "change" setting to be larger than Predictor tasks take. I have mine set to 330 minutes

reader50
Administrator
Feb 22, 2007, 02:13 PM

Down from 3 to 1 processes using CPU again. However, investigation revealed that the project wasn't supplying work since about 5 hours ago. No frozen work this time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules