Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express due for an update?

Airport Express due for an update?
skucera
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 02:13 AM

As far as I can tell, the Airport Express has remained static since its introduction in June of 2004. Does anyone agree with me that the time is ripe for Apple to liven up this offering, either by extending the functionality of the AppleTV it absorb the Express, or by updating the Express to draft-N?

The reason I ask is I am planning on buying one by the Epresses by the end of March, but would feel terrible if I bought one soon and then Apple turned around and upgraded them?

Any suggestions or inklings into the inner workings of Jobs' mind?

tiffer17
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2007, 08:33 PM

I was also wondering this same thing. I've been meaning to pick up an AirPort Express for a while now, but at this point I suppose it makes more sense to wait for a version that supports n.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 01:24 PM

Me too.

I ordered a new AirPort Extreme base station to stream content from my Mac Pro to the AppleTV at 802.11n speeds. The rest of my wireless network I'll keep at 802.11g via my current base station (since neither my MacBook Pro or wife's MacBook supports 802.11n anyway). Using two separate wireless networks, I can keep one at full G speed and the other at full N speed, without slowing the N network by also making it G-compatible.

I've got an AirPort Express attached to each of my two TiVos. I'd love to be able to transfer recordings at 802.11n speeds, rather than 802.11g speeds (which is actually has a pretty slow real-world transfer rate, even in g-mode only, without b support). And buying an additional $179 802.11n AirPort Extreme for each TiVo ain't gonna happen. A $99 AirPort Express N and I'd strongly consider it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules