Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Apple goes to 'Nam

Apple goes to 'Nam
subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 01:02 PM

First Apple retailer in Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City is the new home of Vietnam's first Apple retailer. The store, which is a subsidiary of Vietnam's largest company, FPT, will sell Apple merchandise including laptops and computers. This won't be an "Apple Store" per se, as the store will also carry software and electronics from other manufacturers such as IBM, Nokia, Samsung and Toshiba.

The details are still a bit scarce and we could not track down any pictures.

How many years until we get an Apple Store in Baghdad?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 01:44 PM

Political Lounge?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 01:45 PM

You never know.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
First Apple retailer in Vietnam

How many years until we get an Apple Store in Baghdad?
The way "progress" is being made there now, Baghdad won't be there in a few years.

There, that justifies it being in the Political Lounge.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 01:51 PM

I blame George Bush and Democrats.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 01:53 PM

Oh, calm down Orion27!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2007, 05:17 AM

How dare they to support stinking communists?!? We hate communists! What's next, Cuba?

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2007, 05:19 AM

I will have to stop by this store when I return to Vietnam for two weeks next year.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2007, 06:29 AM

Saigon is a fun city and very IT-oriented. Good to see Apple spreading its wings to other parts of Asia.

As far as the OP, I guess his racism can't handle the truth.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2007, 07:47 AM

Steve Jobs Zionist hegemony!!!
ebuddy

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2007, 08:21 AM

I think its a good thing, for apple and for the people of vietnahm
Michael

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
As far as the OP, I guess his racism can't handle the truth.

What the **** are you on about?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2007, 07:07 PM

What the **** are you on about?
The least compassionate and most racist thing a person can do is use the word "racist" so much that it becomes silly and nonsensical. Then, the minute one hears the word they become deaf to it. If they truly gave a shxx, they wouldn't use it as a friggin' conjunction.

Don't take the morons seriously subego.
ebuddy

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2007, 08:02 PM

Moronic? That would be making a comment like "How many years until we get an Apple Store in Baghdad?" Bit odd comparing a peaceful country to one embroiled in a virtual civil war, don't you think?

Considering the US is these days a major investor in Vietnam and that the country is slowing opening up to the market forces and is a dynamic and very high-wired place.

People like ebuddy should think a little before posting.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 01:19 AM

Moronic? That would be making a comment like "How many years until we get an Apple Store in Baghdad?" Bit odd comparing a peaceful country to one embroiled in a virtual civil war, don't you think?

You missed the (blisteringly obvious) parallel I was trying to draw there Mr. Frothypants, but let's run with this two tons of **** you've cooked up inside your head.

What's so odd about comparing a peaceful country to one embroiled in a civil war? What is it about the Iraqis that makes you offended that I would dare compare them to the Vietnamese?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 05:35 AM

Then why post this in the political forum rather than Apple general news? You must have some agenda to push in that small, pointed head of yours.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 07:01 AM

Virtual civil war? I'm still trying to figure out how you get Iraqis to fight fellow Iraqis without having a "virtual" civil war.

Considering the US is these days a major investor in Vietnam and that the country is slowing opening up to the market forces and is a dynamic and very high-wired place.
Then why don't you ask the OP why he opposes this move and compares it to Baghdad instead of calling him a racist first?

People like ebuddy should think a little before posting.
I personally have no problem at all with there being an Apple Store in Vietnam. My problem is the conclusion that the OP must be racist for his opposition to this move. I was comforting subego for having to endure the responses of those who don't think a little before they post.
ebuddy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 01:47 PM

Then why post this in the political forum rather than Apple general news? You must have some agenda to push in that small, pointed head of yours.

You miss the most obvious analogy in the world and I'm the moron.

You behave like by comparing the Vietnamese to Iraqis is like comparing the Vietnamese to monkeys and I'm the racist.

You refuse to answer my questions but I have the agenda.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Then why don't you ask the OP why he opposes this move and compares it to Baghdad instead of calling him a racist first?

Thank you for asking.

I don't oppose the move at all. Randman invented that.

The analogy I'm trying to draw is that Vietnam is a country that had problematic U.S. military involvement in it's past. Thirty years later we can find our favorite American product in Ho Chi Minh City.

I haven't made any declaration as to exactly what I think about that, so I'll make it now:

I think it's awesome.

Where Iraq comes in is that it is a country in which we have problematic U.S. military involvement now.

So one could very easily look at the question as "how long will it take for relations to normalize with Iraq to the point where you can get Apples there?"

The funny part is that failing to understand this, Randman jumped to a half-dozen conclusions that say a whole lot more about what he thinks than what I think. As I said in the last post, he's acting like I compared the Vietnamese to monkeys.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 02:12 PM

Thank you for asking.

I don't oppose the move at all. Randman invented that.

The analogy I'm trying to draw is that Vietnam is a country that had problematic U.S. military involvement in it's past. Thirty years later we can find our favorite American product in Ho Chi Minh City.

I haven't made any declaration as to exactly what I think about that, so I'll make it now:

I think it's awesome.

Where Iraq comes in is that it is a country in which we have problematic U.S. military involvement now.

So one could very easily look at the question as "how long will it take for relations to normalize with Iraq to the point where you can get Apples there?"

The funny part is that failing to understand this, Randman jumped to a half-dozen conclusions that say a whole lot more about what he thinks than what I think. As I said in the last post, he's acting like I compared the Vietnamese to monkeys.
Excellent explanation. Too bad you didn't state all of this in your first post. Why didn't you state this in your first post? Why did you write one sentence that could have been interpreted in a number of ways instead of explicitly and directly offering your thoughts and opinions on the article you quoted?

(You know what happens when you ask people to assume, don't you? You make an ASS out of U and ME. So don't do it. Just speak your mind when you've got something to say.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 02:14 PM

As for the topic, I think it is great Apple is establishing a commercial presence in Viet Nam. I would like to see Apple have a truly global presence, being available in every corner of the world if not every country of the world.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Why didn't you state this in your first post? Why did you write one sentence that could have been interpreted in a number of ways instead of explicitly and directly offering your thoughts and opinions on the article you quoted?

My actual though process was, and I swear to God this is true, my thought process was "I gift this nonsense thread to Besson3c."

As it turns out though (and I can't say I'm totally displeased) the lack of context made this into a bit of a Rorschach.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2007, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Excellent explanation. Too bad you didn't state all of this in your first post. Why didn't you state this in your first post? Why did you write one sentence that could have been interpreted in a number of ways instead of explicitly and directly offering your thoughts and opinions on the article you quoted?

(You know what happens when you ask people to assume, don't you? You make an ASS out of U and ME. So don't do it. Just speak your mind when you've got something to say.)
You got the quote wrong. It's when you assume (as you did), not ask others to assume.
And isn't it interesting that the folks who misinterpreted OP's statement are the Bushies. Yet another example of their loose grip on reality.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 08:24 AM

How do you come up with that gem? I took umbrage because the op obviously has never been to a place like Vietnam and so tried to make a lame-as s comparison to hit some nerves.

if anyone has a loose grip on reality, it's the op.

<--- not a Bushie but I have been outside the US and try to see things fairly for themselves.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2007, 05:37 PM

so tried to make a lame-as s comparison to hit some nerves.

Why are you insistent that of all the possible ways my comparison could be interpreted, my intent was to take a shot at the Vietnamese?

This is so off base it took me a few posts for me to even understand that's what you thought I was saying.

On one hand, since you thought I was taking a racist shot at the Vietnamese, I feel like I should apologize for forming my argument in such a misinterpretable manner. I'll also say I'd likely be a total asshole to someone was acting the way you thought I was acting, so it would be hypocritical of me to call foul on that point.

On the other hand, it's not like what they do have in common - which is what prompted me to make the comparison - is ridiculously obscure either. As I said in an earlier post, what they have in common is U.S. military involvement. As the involvement in Vietnam was 30 years ago, my comparison (by definition) is one of contrast, not of equivalence. That it's equivalence is the idea you have jammed in your brain.

Whether you care to think about it or not, the fact that it's jammed so deep in there is by far the clearest indicator of motivation that either of us have expressed. Why are you so touchy about this?

Frankly, I think you're sweet on the Vietnamese. Which is great. Good for you. Absolutely, honest to God, no sarcasm intended. I'm personally sweet on Jews, but that's my thing.

They have a word for this, it's called racism.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
And isn't it interesting that the folks who misinterpreted OP's statement are the Bushies. Yet another example of their loose grip on reality.

Just when I though the dimbulb 180 degree off-target misinterpretations couldn’t get any stupider in this thread…!

Too funny!

The only thing one should never assume in the P-lounge, is that even the simplest of concepts will be understood by everyone, and that those with agendas won't find it to argue over out of literally everything. Subego raised a good question, the equivalent of which has been raised in previous conflicts.

One could just as easily ask, how soon until Iraqi businesses are selling products to American consumers?

(1st grade level translation for the dimbulbs: see, Japan, and Germany, for example, were once nations that the US was at war with, and now we buy products from Sony, Toyota, BMW, Volkswagon, etc, etc.. See how that works?)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2007, 12:24 AM

what they have in common is U.S. military involvement. As the involvement in Vietnam was 30 years ago, my comparison (by definition) is one of contrast, not of equivalence. That it's equivalence is the idea you have jammed in your brain.
So why not make the same comment with Germany? We've had military involvement there and still keep a large number of military peeps.

Basically, you were reaching to try and make a "sensitive" topic and came across looking like an idiot so decided to backtrack and defend your supposed position with recriminations and allusions to some perceived inequity.

And this only serves to confirm my distaste for this forum. I'm out.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2007, 01:23 AM

How many years until we get an Apple Store in Germany?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2007, 04:07 PM

So why not make the same comment with Germany? We've had military involvement there and still keep a large number of military peeps.

What you quoted, with relevant portions reinserted and bolded:

As I said in an earlier post, what they have in common is U.S. military involvement.

From said post, relevant word bolded:

The analogy I'm trying to draw is that Vietnam is a country that had problematic U.S. military involvement in it's past.

Germany is disqualified because our military involvement with them wasn't as problematic. As in we didn't lose. Makes all the difference in the world for when Cupertino schedules the next grand opening.

Basically, you were reaching to try and make a "sensitive" topic

Can you reach and try to make sense? Just what the bloody **** is a "sensitive" topic?

And I thought I could be obscure.

and came across looking like an idiot so decided to backtrack and defend your supposed position with recriminations and allusions to some perceived inequity.

If this is how you act when someone accuses you of being "sweet on the Vietnamese", I wonder what happens when someone accuses you of something that's actually bad.

For that person's sake, I hope you aren't near any sharp objects.

And this only serves to confirm my distaste for this forum. I'm out.

If it will chase people like you away, I pledge to be "racist" more often.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 04:21 PM

Germany is disqualified because our military involvement with them wasn't as problematic. As in we didn't lose. Makes all the difference in the world for when Cupertino schedules the next grand opening.
How long before we get an Apple store in Canada?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
How long before we get an Apple store in Canada?

10 minutes after we're done kicking yo' ass.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 04:41 PM

Already tried and failed, my friend, and it took us 175 years or so to get Apple products!! What gives? Do you guys really like the Vietnamese THAT much more then us?

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2007, 04:41 PM

Puerto Rico, still waiting for an apple store.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Do you guys really like the Vietnamese THAT much more then us?

Yes.

Especially Randman.

danhnguyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 11:06 AM

Here are some pictures from the The First Apple Store in Saigon

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 12:58 PM

Very cool!

This is like looking at the payphone photographs on the back of 2600.

Could you resize those down though? they take a bajillion years to relaoad.

Edit: saw your pics at tuaw too.
( Last edited by subego; May 18, 2007 at 12:55 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules