Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: Apple PowerBook 15", Two weeks old.

FS: Apple PowerBook 15", Two weeks old.
Hammerli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 01:23 AM

After being convinced to try a Powerbook by several photographer friends I purchased a new 15" Powerbook a little over two weeks ago. I found that I don't like the interface and various other things and that I actually like XP laptops better.

I purchased the unit on Oct. 30, 2005 from the Apple store in Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids, MI. It is the new higher resolution model as shown HERE, with the 100 GB 7200 RPM hard drive, SuperDrive, and 2 GB RAM upgrades. This is what the Apple stores call the "Ultimate" with the addition of 2GB of RAM vs. 1GB standard in Ultimate. I also purchased the three year Apple Care plan, and bought Office for Mac that is installed and included. I've only used it here in the house, and primarily off the AC adapter. I did fully discharge the battery per the manual to "calibrate" the battery, and it now shows 100%.

Having never owned an Apple previously, I have no history here. My heatware is HERE and my eBay feedback is HERE. I do most of my internet trading at Fred Miranda's photo forum under the user name Hammerli, where I have bought and sold many thousands of dollars in photo gear. I live near Kalamazoo, MI; which is about half way between Chicago and Detroit. I'll be glad to give any interested parties my contact info, as well as sending pictures. I'll include the original receipts, all paperwork, boxes, etc. for the buyer.

It is perfect as would be expected for two weeks old. I have installed my Canon DPP photo software, and can remove that prior to shipping for disinterested parties.

Price is $2400 and includes insured FedEx shipping. Total at Apple store is over $3000 for computer, Apple Care and Office software. I do not accept Paypal period. I will accept cashier's checks, money orders or personal checks from those with verifiable references. I'll ship once checks clear, I'll ship immediately for bank checks or USPS MO's.

I'll be glad to answer any questions, and as stated above if you are interested and need more info, pictures, etc. I'll be glad to give out my phone number and send pics. My email is HERE.

EDIT:

SOLD
( Last edited by Hammerli; Nov 15, 2005 at 10:31 PM. )

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 05:37 PM

no, the price is right, it's the part where you have one post that's most likely a little fishy.

ebay?

edit: and the part where you won't be buying the thing for another two weeks.

Hammerli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
no, the price is right, it's the part where you have one post that's most likely a little fishy.

ebay?

edit: and the part where you won't be buying the thing for another two weeks.
I stated I have had it for two weeks, not that I am going to buy it in two weeks?

I understand the lack of a history here, that is why I offered other references and offered to talk with anyone who is interested. As I have never owned an Apple prior to this Powerbook, I'm not sure how it is difficult to understand a lack of posts in an Apple forum.

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2005, 06:00 PM

I think you're certainly offering the thing for a fair price. And I don't think there's any problem with legitimacy given the references you've offered. But part of the value of the deal is diluted because the upgrades you bought were from the Apple Store, which doesn't represent "bargain basement" pricing. For instance, the computer itself can be bought for $200 off retail, with no tax, from Amazon. The RAM upgrades can be bought for roughly half the price or less than Apple. And the 7200 RPM hard drive can be bought more cheaply elsewhere as well, although in this case I think the difficulty/inconvenience in installing the thing could justify the price.

So, in short, I think you have a great price but for the above reasons you are not getting as much interest as you would like. EBay would be a good place to sell in terms of getting the price you want, but unfortunately it also comes with all sorts of other hassles.

Good luck!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 11:59 AM

glad to see you changed the november 30th buy date to october 30th.

Forum Links
Forum Rules