Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So let the whining begin.

So let the whining begin.
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 02:47 PM

After every keynote, people post how underwhelmed they are how disappointed they are.

So if you wish, use this thread to complain. You know you want too and this board will be rife with people moaning about how could apple forget about X, Y or Z.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 02:49 PM

Yawn.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 02:49 PM

I'm annoyed because I need a new Mac and I don't want to spend a lot.

A new Mini, iMac or Macbook was what I was looking for.

Instead I got a luxury device that puts style and innovation over horsepower and value.

It's cool, but not for me.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

namannik
Senior User
Jan 15, 2008, 02:51 PM

I was just wanting a 3G iPhone.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 02:52 PM

So you have this MacWaffer on your lap and you lean just a little on the keyboard.

Bet it snaps.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 02:58 PM

I can say for sure, that like many other press releases/keynotes the excitement and hype that seemed to be generated did not live up to expectation. Of course its almost impossible to live up to unrealistic expectations.

I was hoping to see a more powerful iMac, or a machine that would sit in between the iMac and MacPro. Of course I figured the odds were slim to none that I'd see this.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 03:05 PM

I'm whining because AAPL was down below $160 after the keynote (the last time I checked was a few minutes ago.). What more do people want?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 03:15 PM

AAPL always dives after keynotes, as far as I can recall. It's a good time to buy, I suppose.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus

I'm gonna let AAPL do its post-earnings run up, since they always blow estimates away. After that though, I'm out.

AAPL is way, way too volatile and way, way too susceptible to market mood swings and emotional traders. I can't handle it anymore.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN

Oh noz I was wanting the MacBook Air to be able to be crammed inside of an empty iMac shell.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:17 PM

I think these updates are pretty good. TV update, iTouch update, and MacBook Air all look like good values to me.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:19 PM

I found the Airport to be a nice surprise. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons of that one.

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2008, 03:23 PM

Well, it's good thing I can swap in an extra battery for those long photo shoots on my MacBook Air...oh. Nuts. Well, it's a good thing I brought this extra battery for my iPhone..oh. Nuts. Stupid integrated batteries...

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 03:24 PM

I'm kind of liking the time capsule and TV update

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 03:25 PM

Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2GB memory
64GB solid-state hard drive
Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi2 and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Ships: 2-3 weeks
Free Shipping
$3,098.00
I'm sorry, but a $1,300 premium for 16GB LESS storage only because it's solid-state? That's absolutely, 100% BS. Anyone who buys this model has more money than sense or is just plain stupid.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:26 PM

Well, I'm curious what a 64MB solid state drive costs in comparison to a 80 GB HDD.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Well, I'm curious what a 64MB solid state drive costs in comparison to a 80 GB HDD.
Not $1,300 or anything remotely close to $1,300.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:33 PM

I'd still be curious as to the exact number, though.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2008, 03:33 PM

LOL, you might want to actually investigate before you start running your mouth about how horrible the price is.

Newegg.com - SUPER TALENT FSD64GC25M 2.5" 64GB SATA Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 03:36 PM

So it's actually cheaper in the AirBook (that's my name for it) so everyone can stop freaking out.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
LOL, you might want to actually investigate before you start running your mouth about how horrible the price is.

Newegg.com - SUPER TALENT FSD64GC25M 2.5" 64GB SATA Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
That's a 2.5" drive, not a 1.8" drive. And that's a RETAIL price, not Apple's cost, and especially not in bulk.

My point remains, it is not costing Apple anything close to $1,300 to put a 1.8" 64GB solid-state drive in the MacBook Air instead of an 80GB iPod drive.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 03:37 PM

Dude, a SMALLER drive is going to cost even more than the link that Lateralus posted.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:37 PM

Time Capsule will be bought in the near future. This is excellent and something I can really, really use. All of my backup drives at home are nearly full, so this comes at a good time for me.

I also like the Apple TV and the update for the iPod Touch. Almost makes me want one.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
So everyone can stop freaking out.
Do you realize what thread you're in?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 03:39 PM

Good point.....Apple is going out of business with this latest blunder!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:41 PM

Another problem is that any improvement they make to the MacBook is just going to make the Air look even more overpriced.

This Air announcement probably means that we won't see anything for a while in the MacBook department.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:41 PM

I thought everyone was bitching about no sub-notebook?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I thought everyone was bitching about no sub-notebook?
I don't recall that. A lot more people bitching about lack of a midrange desktop.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM

Or an update to the Mac mini.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ballison
Jan 15, 2008, 03:46 PM

wanted new displays...oh well I think this is the first keynote that I really only was interested in less than half of what he was saying...rentals cool...iphone update REALLY cool but time capsule...the air...not too interesting to me at least. I feel bad for the itouch owners who have to PAY to get the new software update...thats kinda shady, but I wonder if the reasoning is somewhere along the lines of what happened with unlocking the N capabilities in the macbook pros

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 03:47 PM

How long before we see the iSight on the iPhone?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't recall that. A lot more people bitching about lack of a midrange desktop.
Something with expandability that doesn't cost over 2 grand would have been nice, but Apple hasn't had a PowerMac in the price range of mine (1699 brand new) for a while now

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I'm sorry, but a $1,300 premium for 16GB LESS storage only because it's solid-state? That's absolutely, 100% BS. Anyone who buys this model has more money than sense or is just plain stupid.
Apple isn't the only one who offers this. And it's the same price as the other one's, too. *cough* dell

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:52 PM

I wanted a new iPhone, but hey, that didn't happen.

also, I agree with sek929's point about an affordable expandable machine. It's a hard sell if you want better graphics but not all the metal.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 03:54 PM

Unfortunately, a carpenter that buys a Mac every 5 years isn't enough for Apple to cater to.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 03:58 PM

So are the new finger actions on the touchpad hardware or specific, or is it just a software improvement?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 03:58 PM

That's a 2.5" drive, not a 1.8" drive. And that's a RETAIL price, not Apple's cost, and especially not in bulk.

My point remains, it is not costing Apple anything close to $1,300 to put a 1.8" 64GB solid-state drive in the MacBook Air instead of an 80GB iPod drive.
$300 is for the upgrade to the faster chip, and $999 is for the drive.

I respect your right to b!tch, but get the numbers correct.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 04:05 PM

I really enjoyed this Keynote. I will get Time Capsule and an Apple TV within the next couple months. The Air is super sweet, and my girlfriend might just get one to replace her old 12" Powerbook. And of course the updates to iPhone and iTunes are nice to hold me over until I get new toys.

Overall, not the 2007 iPhone Keynote, but some good stuff here.

Oh, and just throwing this out there, the price of the Air might also be due to the fact that its a very green laptop (for Apple standards). That might have increased the cost a bit.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 04:07 PM

I don't have one, so I'm not really whining about it, but I'm surprised that there's a $20 charge for the new iPod touch apps.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2008, 04:07 PM

MacWorld - Quite a disapointment

1) No 3G iPhone
2) $20 to upgrade iPod software for an iPod I bought last week? Just to get the applications that should have come on it anyway?
3) A much deserved price reduction for iTV, but still, is it worth $229 so that I can watch my $3.99 movies on the TV instead of computer? With Netflix DVDs, I watch them on TV for no additional cost.
4) The MacBook Air is cool, but having bought a MacBook Pro last month, I'm not the least bit sorry. For almost the same price, I do have a few added pounds, but also a DVD drive, double the USB ports, two Firewire ports, a bigger screen, a larger HD, a mic jack, and a faster CPU. You're giving up a lot for some weight savings. I think it will appeal to some people, but not most.

But can't blame Apple for a disappointing keynote. The fact of the matter is that with technology advancing so far, its getting harder and harder for technology companies to come up with real new innovations. Microsoft might be the biggest looser from this? Nothing really new for them to copy.

finboy
Jan 15, 2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
I don't have one, so I'm not really whining about it, but I'm surprised that there's a $20 charge for the new iPod touch apps.
What does one get for the $20? I saw a lot of whining in the iPod forum, but not much discussion (or link to) the actual update itself.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
So are the new finger actions on the touchpad hardware or specific, or is it just a software improvement?
I'm hoping they are software, then my Macbook can have the new trackpad stuff too .

The MBA looks cool as a second Mac for on the road, but thats not my market so I won't be in the queue for it. Was hoping for a 32Gb touch, and who's bright idea was it to charge $20 for the iPhone apps on an iPod touch if you already have one???

Can't find a price for the Time Capsule beyond £199 on the store, I'm guessing thats the 500Gb version.

Oh and I'm still waiting for movies in the UK, nevermind renting them!

But apart from that it was great!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
AAPL always dives after keynotes, as far as I can recall. It's a good time to buy, I suppose.
After selling out a fews years back at $54 a share (before the split) I am finally about to bite my tounge and buy back in. I know it's a huge difference from what I bought it for originally ($34), but I really do believe that it will climb past $200 this year, probably by summer, and then who knows.
I recall as well that keynote days are usually a huge dip in the price, so I really think with this $11 dip (as of now) would be a great time to get in a go for the ride. This time I just can't get nervous and take my money out too fast.

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I'm gonna let AAPL do its post-earnings run up, since they always blow estimates away. After that though, I'm out.

AAPL is way, way too volatile and way, way too susceptible to market mood swings and emotional traders. I can't handle it anymore.
That's exactly how I felt a few years ago when I had money in there. I was 16, and literally all of my savings at that point (only 3 grand, but hey I turned it into almost 6) was in AAPL, and I checked it like a maniac. Some days you were up $5.00 a share, some days down $5 or more. It got to be too much and I figured I had already made a nice profit, I should just get out while I'm ahead. Boy was I wrong. All I've done for the past 2 years is lament about how much money I could have made if I had kept it in (~$40,000, from my original $3,000.) Meanwhile the money I did make from the stock has been sitting in a CD earning little interest.

I still believe in AAPL as I did then, I think the company will continue to innovate, and be a top player in all of the ventures it is currently doing (cell phones, computers, TV set top box, iPods, etc.). I think the best product in every single category is the one produced by AAPL. That's why I'm getting back in. I'm just crossing my fingers it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
What does one get for the $20? I saw a lot of whining in the iPod forum, but not much discussion (or link to) the actual update itself.
Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes, and Weather

in essence an iPhone without the phone
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 04:15 PM

Maps, Stocks, Notes, Mail, Weather. Which have been on the iPhone since day 1 and should have been on the touch from the beginning too.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 04:16 PM

It's 5 apps from the iPhone: Mail, Maps, Weather, Notes, and Stocks.

I'd probably pay the $20, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Wonder why they're charging for it... maybe paving the way for future Apps from the iPhone/Touch SDK?

If anyone downloads these, I'd be curious to hear how they were downloaded... through iTunes like a movie/song/iPhone update? Do you buy it from the Apple website or through iTunes? If it's all done through iTunes, I bet that's how we're going to be getting our future SDK apps.

Edit: Damn, I was beaten to it twice in the time it took me to write that!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 04:23 PM

It's $1,300 for the 64gb SSD and the $300 1.8ghz CPU upgrade.
The SSD drive itself is $999.

edit. I didn't notice that someone else had already pointed this.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 04:30 PM

Does anybody know if TM will now work properly with non Time Capsule network drives?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes, and Weather
These apps probably needed to be updated for the iTouch. Except for Notes, they all would have assumed internet access at all times, and would probably hang or crash if GSM access didn't work as expected. Notes-syncing is probably coming with 10.5.2, so that's why it needed to be updated.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 04:41 PM

It's $1000, not $1300. You could always go get a Sony Vaio TZ. It's like the MacBook Air, except it includes the 64GB solid-state HDD by default. Oh, and it's $1000 more than MacBook Air. How 'bout that.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules