Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problems in Perspective

Problems in Perspective
axonal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 06:29 AM

I really appreciate reading all of the descriptions of problems, solutions, and various concerns here about the MacBook. Bought yesterday the low-end model, and the posts here gave me great help on what to look for: I asked the Apple Store in Indy (Keystone) to let me play with my new one awhile, since I live 90 minutes away. And they were happy to do so. Put me at the Genius Bar and told me to take as long as I wanted.

The MacBook (so far) works great. I'm happy with the choice.

Some perspective for others. Maybe. The concentration of posts here also made me nervous. (One guy is on his 12th MacBook!) I mentioned some of this to the Genius Bar guy. He said he knew of some of what people are saying. But the MacBooks, he said, have been "flying out the door" since they first came in, and they had only 4-5 returned with problems.

Maybe he is spinning a little. Maybe not. Anyway, go buy it. Hope you get one that, like most apparently, are in good working order.

And thanks to everyone for helpful info.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 06:59 AM

I just took delivery of the middle model of Macbook, white, 2.0Ghz with 1GB of ram yesterday. Like you I was very concerned about all the issues that have been brought up in this forum. Mine seems flawless so far. No screen issues like dark corners, etc.. no bad noises or issues with heating up too much. I love my Macbook so far!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006, 08:03 AM

Bus, Welcome! I'm glad you're taking a positive approach. Note that people seldom post "wow, this works great!" in technical forums-except for the first few people who get whatever it is they're posting about. I've no doubt about the one guy with LOTS of problems actually having those problems. His bad luck MUST run out eventually. But these are brand new products and some problems are expected. I think if he'd stayed with one store he wouldn't have found so many bad computers, but that's just speculation. In any case, people who expect negatives are often right, while people who expect positives are only sometimes disappointed. Enjoy your new Mac!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 09:29 AM

My little brother got one (base model) a couple of weeks ago, which I have now commandeered. My experience has been entirely

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by phillryu
My little brother got one (base model) a couple of weeks ago, which I have now commandeered. My experience has been entirely
That has to mean your experience with the computer, NOT your little brother!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 01:02 PM

Mine works perfect. So have my last several Macs. In fact I haven't had a bad one since my PowerBook 190 a decade ago. And yet before buying I am always very worried because of what I read on the forums. The reason you get a skewed perspective is pretty simple. People are much more likely to start a thread about a bad experience than a good experience. Probably twenty or thirty times more likely. And who can blame them? Why start a thread saying your macbook works?

fesdds
Jun 10, 2006, 02:06 PM

I've got 2 Macbooks and both have been nearly flawless. Very happy with the size and function. I still run a lot with Rosetta and truly don't notice much lagging on those with 1 gig ram.

axonal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 02:29 PM

Good to hear more positive experiences. Hope it was clear I wasn't being critical of those working with problem MacBooks. And again, it made me feel confident about a few things to check out (as well as a little nervous).

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 05:26 PM

I have been very satisfied as well. No overheating really and overall it just runs 100x better than I expected.
27" iMac C2D

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2006, 06:59 PM

great experience so far... love it!!! it's a beaut

Forum Links
Forum Rules