Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where will mac be in 20 years?

Where will mac be in 20 years?
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Feb 19, 2005, 04:49 PM

Have you guys wondered what the mac will be in 20 years? Will there even be a apple computer company? Will it take over Microsoft? Or will they fall into the hands of Microsoft, maybe the two companies won`t exist anymore and everyone will be using lindows...Anyway what do you guys think Apple will become in 20 years? What do you think Apple can do to become more mainstream?

Ganesha
Senior User
Feb 19, 2005, 08:57 PM

Let's extrapolate:

1985: TOL Mac had 512k RAM, a 32-bit processor running @ 8 Mhz, and cost $3,195
2005: TOL Mac has 512MB RAM, 2 64-bit processors running @ 2.5 GHz, and cost 2,999
2025: TOL Mac should have 512GB RAM, 4 128-bit processors running @ 780 Ghz and will cost $2,803.

IamBob
Senior User
Feb 19, 2005, 09:18 PM

Isn't this more of a lounge topic?...

tavilach
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by iranfromthezoo:
Have you guys wondered what the mac will be in 20 years? Will there even be a apple computer company? Will it take over Microsoft? Or will they fall into the hands of Microsoft, maybe the two companies won`t exist anymore and everyone will be using lindows...Anyway what do you guys think Apple will become in 20 years? What do you think Apple can do to become more mainstream?
I think that in the next twenty years, there will be a huge move to integrate the computing industry with biology (note the increasing popularity of bioengineering). The entire concept of a "personal computer" will most likely end up being completely redefined. The chances that there will still be "Mac vs. PC" wars are very slim. The major name in computing could be Coca Cola, for all we know.

...of course, this progression might take longer than twenty years, and in this period, industry may still focus on making "bigger and better" versions of what we already have. If that's the case, Apple might still be around, although I doubt that the "Mac" will be. After fourty years, though...I definetely wouldn't count on it.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 11:26 PM

I think technology is moving so fast that anyone who says that they know what will happen 20 years from now is lying.

For instance, In 1985, I don't think that we could have predicted the way the Internet has developed. Sure, there was an Internet back then, that was mostly used by universities and the government, but most people who had a modem (were they up to 1200 baud by then?) dialed into services like CompuServe (or, was Quantum Link around back then?) who charged by the hour. People had an inkling of the potential of all those computers being connected together and exchanging information, but they probably thought some central company would co-ordinate the network and bill for its use. (Probably Ma Bell...)

But since we're speculating, I think that Apple will gain a big boost in market share after Longhorn gets delayed even further, the Platform Wars will ignite again, Apple will come out the winner this time, and my Apple Stock will be worth so much that I can send my daughter to college.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2005, 12:33 AM

Sure the frinkiac 7 looks impressive -- Don't touch it! -- But I predict that in 100 years computers will be twice as powerful, 10,000 times larger, and so expensive that only the 5 richest kings of Europe will own them.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Ganesha:
Let's extrapolate:

1985: TOL Mac had 512k RAM, a 32-bit processor running @ 8 Mhz, and cost $3,195
2005: TOL Mac has 512MB RAM, 2 64-bit processors running @ 2.5 GHz, and cost 2,999
2025: TOL Mac should have 512GB RAM, 4 128-bit processors running @ 780 Ghz and will cost $2,803.
The cool thing about this is that if you are willing to wait long enough Macs will be infinately powerfull and free.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Feb 20, 2005, 12:23 PM

100 years: I predict that we'll be so reliant on technology that there will be supercomputers assigned to each country and they'll control our weapons and we'll blindly follow their orders and blow up our neighbors. The only problem is when the missles are coming at us and there is a blue screen.

20 years: Hopefully I won't care about operating systems that much and it will become a seamless part of society. There will be one system that will reign supreme and it'll be called "Alpha Omega System VII", Microsoft's second attempt to gain the marketshare it lost in the crash of 2013.

milhous
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 01:02 PM

holographic displays. no one will ever complain about dead pixels, period.
F = ma

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 03:42 PM

Well, 20 years is a long time, and I guess nobody will reallu know where computing in general will be by then. It simply is a matter of buying a crystal ball I guess.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2005, 03:42 PM

I expect chips to be integrated into the body or available as discrete wearables. I/O could be direct wiring to visual/audio cortex, or playback through wearables such as a HUD on a pair of glasses or even projected directly on the retina.

Combined with pervasive high speed connectivity you would just have to think of the music you want and it would play in your head/ear. Just think of the news, and it is available as text, spoken or video or all three, including taste and smells. Great way to preview a restaurant.

communication would be as easy as thinking about someone, no matter where on the globe to send a communication request. If answered, you could voice and video chat including sharing files and any data.

I'd give that about 50 years but it could be sooner. Algorithms would have to be developed to learn the meaning of your specific brain wave patterns, and some learning on the user's behalf would be required as well, but as the technology developed this would be come less and less burdensome.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
Combined with pervasive high speed connectivity you would just have to think of the music you want and it would play in your head/ear.
What do you mean? I already think of the music I want and it plays in my head.
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Feb 20, 2005 at 11:07 PM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
What do you mean? I already think of the music I want in it plays in my head.
Yeah, but you don't pay any royalties on that, you communist!

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 11:48 AM

Have you ever thought how cool it would be to do google searches in your head? I get that thought several times a day when I am away from my computer.

Ah, yes, and an undo-function for reality would be nice.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by :haripu::
Have you ever thought how cool it would be to do google searches in your head? I get that thought several times a day when I am away from my computer.

there are A LOT of options for that available now...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by IamBob:
Isn't this more of a lounge topic?...
Damn right.
And here is the Lounge answer:

It will have grown up and be spelled Mac !

-t

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2005, 12:57 PM

my holodeck is so much nicer they your holodeck.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
my holodeck is so much nicer they your holodeck.
Anather predyction foa da futoer: spellyng an grandmar is gona gat evenn worce

-t

MartiNZ
Senior User
Feb 22, 2005, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by :haripu::
LOL, and I did. That would be to die for! And scripting so you can control what happens rather than just thinking it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules