Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dana Reeve, Superman's widow, dead at 44

Dana Reeve, Superman's widow, dead at 44
Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 7, 2006, 09:32 AM

Dana Reeve, widow of actor Christopher Reeve, has died of lung cancer, CNN confirms.
She was just diagnosed with lung cancer last year.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/03/0....ap/index.html

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 7, 2006, 09:41 AM

Damn. She was fighting really hard, too. I'm sad over this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 10:31 AM

Wow, how sad. She wasn't even a smoker or anything and did a lot of good in the community.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 10:33 AM

Very odd, young deaths puzzle me. Doctors need to figure out this cancer thing QUICKLY, it just seems like we should be there already.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 11:29 AM

My prayers go out to the family and friends of Dana Reeves. May she rest in peace. Some forms of lung cancer are very aggressive, end up with few treatment options.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
Doctors need to figure out this cancer thing QUICKLY, it just seems like we should be there already.
Unfortunately, cancer is a very complex genetic beast, and every type is completely different. It will be years before all types are equally treatable.

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Mar 7, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
Very odd, young deaths puzzle me. Doctors need to figure out this cancer thing QUICKLY, it just seems like we should be there already.
Of course, instead of figuring out these diseases, they play golf all day long.
( Last edited by Corpse of Chewbacca; Mar 7, 2006 at 12:44 PM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 01:45 PM

I predict the smoking apoligists using this example as an excuse to continue smoking.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2006, 01:58 PM

I hope this spurs another chance to reintroduce the Christopher Reeves bill.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
I predict the smoking apoligists using this example as an excuse to continue smoking.
I really like my three favorit places in the world. Coincidently, they're all non-smoking now. California (the state that started it all), Republic of Ireland, and Italy.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

PacHead
Baninated
Mar 7, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Wow, how sad. She wasn't even a smoker or anything and did a lot of good in the community.
And smokers are evil people who deserve to die and they do no good for anybody ?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
And smokers are evil people who deserve to die and they do no good for anybody ?

of course - i think you know what he is getting at

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 10:20 PM

It's funny you would mention that. When I heard the news I actually flashed on re-starting but it's been more than 14 months since my fiancee made me promise to quit, so I guess I'll remain a non-smoker even if it's only as a reminder to myself of the power of love.

As a long time smoker I'd tried many times before to quit. But only this time did it stick.

Dana Reeve, R.I.P.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Mar 7, 2006, 11:28 PM

This is sad.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Mar 7, 2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by jonasmac
This is sad.
Why?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 09:45 AM

She never smoked.

She did sing in bars - smoking bars - and once speculated it was from secondhand smoke.

I hope their child makes it through okay. He's only 14 and now doesn't have a mother or a father.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 10:17 AM

What is a smoking apologist?

A man who is always apoligizing because he smokes?

Or are you suggesting that some people will point to this example and claim it isn't just smoking that causes lung cancer?

Steve McQueen died of lung cancer. He didn't smoke. There are numerous non-smoking related cases of lung cancer, however 9 out of 10 lung cancer cases is smoking related.

I only hope people know one can acquire lung cancer by other means than smoking already!

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
She never smoked.
She did sing in bars - smoking bars - and once speculated it was from secondhand smoke.
Nah, if you'd get cancer from second-hand smoke that quickly, Europe would be extinct by now.

-t

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
Of course, instead of figuring out these diseases, they play golf all day long.
Not nice.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
What is a smoking apologist?

A man who is always apoligizing because he smokes?

Or are you suggesting that some people will point to this example and claim it isn't just smoking that causes lung cancer?

Steve McQueen died of lung cancer. He didn't smoke. There are numerous non-smoking related cases of lung cancer, however 9 out of 10 lung cancer cases is smoking related.

I only hope people know one can acquire lung cancer by other means than smoking already!

cheers

W-Y
The Viceroy Cigarette Ads
Back in the days when smoking a cigarette was still cool, Steve McQueen made three television ads for the Viceroy cigarette brand. The ads were made on the set of his then popular series Wanted: Dead or Alive. Steve appeared as 'himself', as was the trend in these type of ads during the 50's.
His catchphrase was: Viceroy is the cigarette with the thinking man's filter, and the smokin' man's taste.

This was a comeback at the other cigarette brands which at the time were heavily promoting all sorts of "miracle" filters.

Contrary to the popular myth that he died as a result of smoking, Steve in fact died from asbestos related cancer, which he developed either from working in asbestos filled environments during his time in the navy, or from the asbestos which was used in the protective suits which he wore for motor car racing .

He did however have cigarette related cancer surgery in the early 1970's, which successfully removed growths from his throat.http://www.mcqueenonline.com/viceroy.htm
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 11:00 PM

I read that of the remaining cases of lung cancer not related to cigarette smoking that radon is the cause.

Smoking is the number one cause of lung cancer. Lung cancer may also be the most tragic cancer because in most cases, it might have been prevented -- 87% of lung cancer cases are caused by smoking. Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 different chemicals, many of which are proven cancer-causing substances, or carcinogens. Smoking cigars or pipes also increases the risk of lung cancer.

Many of the chemicals in tobacco smoke also affect the nonsmoker inhaling the smoke, making "secondhand smoking" another important cause of lung cancer. It is responsible for approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths annually.

Radon is considered to be the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. today. Radon gas can come up through the soil under a home or building and enter through gaps and cracks in the foundation or insulation, as well as through pipes, drains, walls or other openings. Radon causes between 15,000 and 22,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the United States -- 12 percent of all lung cancer deaths are linked to radon.
Link

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 11:41 PM

@aberdeenwriter

Thank you for correcting me. Steve did smoke, but he did not die from smoking. Still he died of lung cancer. Asbestos related.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

milhous
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 11:42 PM

most unfortunate news, best word of advice is to live every day to the fullest possible extent. doesn't matter if you're healthy, any one of us could die at anytime for whatever reason.

one of our high school english teachers died a few years ago and he had just recently retired after 35 years of teaching. he wasn't even able to enjoy a full year of retirement. most tragic.
F = ma

Invictus
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 11:49 PM

Everybody dies.
< PREVIOUS NEXT >

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Invictus
Everybody dies.
Amen.

…and you guys realize that Christopher Reeve wasn't REALLY superman right?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2006, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Amen.

…and you guys realize that Christopher Reeve wasn't REALLY superman right?
Stop screwing with my mind man.

Forum Links
Forum Rules