Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > why do people have to touch the monitor?

why do people have to touch the monitor?
macroy
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 10:05 AM

So you're sitting there in front of your system with someone discussing the contents of the document or a web page. Why do they have to actually make contact with the monitor when they point something out? As if I wouldn't see what they were refering to if that finger was a 1/2 inch further away?

Sorry - just had to vent after a 15 minute discussion with a co-worker on a document we're working on.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2004, 10:10 AM

I can't tell you how much that annoys the piss out of me. I have to clean my monitor once a week at least.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2004, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by starman:
I can't tell you how much that annoys the piss out of me. I have to clean my monitor once a week at least.
Ditto. Though I often ask people not to touch the screen. It also drives me batty when I have to use another person's screen, or a "community" computer and it's covered with finger, hand, foot and who-knows-what-else prints.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 10:15 AM

I have the same peeve. It seems that no one else at my work does though, and their screens show it. I've got a laptop here, so I'm extra picky, and it drives me nuts when a co-worker disperses finger oil on the screen. But life is short, so I just clean it off and forget about it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 14, 2004, 10:19 AM

I used to leave ONE fingerprint on my ex's Powerbook monitor all the time. Then claim it wasn't me.

Fun for all.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
...foot and who-knows-what-else prints.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I used to leave ONE fingerprint on my ex's Powerbook monitor all the time. Then claim it wasn't me.

Fun for all.
Heh, that's funny. My wife never cleans the screen of her Compaq laptop, so she would never even notice if I touched it.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2004, 10:35 AM

I tend to provide a pen for people to use as a pointing device. If you have a spare PDA stylus, that can work too.

Either that, or they can point with the mouse.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Peter:
Mindfad will be so on it with that adorable gif.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 10:36 AM

Mike
That's exactly the reason why I like to do this on purpose!
It's fun to cover someone else's monitor with as much fingerprints as possible and then have a competition until the end of the month: the one who with the worst looking screen gets a cake...

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 10:44 AM

Even worst are people touching LCD screens.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 11:01 AM

I'd always get the - "your computer is white!" - then they'd rub the screen up and down because OS X is so cool looking I guess they just had to feel it.

macroy  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I tend to provide a pen for people to use as a pointing device. If you have a spare PDA stylus, that can work too.

But its not something you can prepare for.. it just happens... and you can either just get annoyed and clean it later ('cause its really not that big of a deal, it just bothers me) or you can say something... which then they look at you like "WTF?"

Of course, all the practical jokers/friends who know this always walk by and leave one on there just to piss me off.....

Even worst are people touching LCD screens.
I use laptops only... so that's all I have. So cleaning takes a bit of care to not scratch the screen.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 11:33 AM

someone once pointed at my powerbook screen, except they felt the need to point to some point 3 inches behind the screen. needless to say i thought they dented my screen.

i just sat there staring at them with a look of "what the hell is wrong with you" on my face, until they finally realized that they did something wrong and apologized.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 11:42 AM

The monkeys tell them to

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 11:47 AM

Personally I point at the screen, but not touch. It makes me nervous when a finger comes toward my monitor.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2004, 12:05 PM

Wouldn't that make too much sense ?

-t

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 12:28 PM

In the macnews.de forum someone recently reported that a customer used a ball pen on his TFT to mark changes he wanted to a layout! He said it was only a split second when the customer did it and he was so in shock seeing it that he couldn't act.

It did not only leave ink but also rills on the TFT.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 14, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Heh, that's funny. My wife never cleans the screen of her Compaq laptop, so she would never even notice if I touched it.
She was obsessive. She was also the gal that when we first started dating, went and smelled my B/W G3 tower because she said she had always been curious as to how they smelled like.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 12:48 PM

She was obsessive. She was also the gal that when we first started dating, went and smelled my B/W G3 tower because she said she had always been curious as to how they smelled like.
How the smelt like????

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
In the macnews.de forum someone recently reported that a customer used a ball pen on his TFT to mark changes he wanted to a layout!
Hehe, almost as bad as wite-out on the screen

-t

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 01:07 PM

my mom loves to do that. She always keeps the whole house free from dust... I have a couple CRTs in the basement and she always loves clean them... during my term break, I brought home with my 17" studio display and I just tell her rather not cleaning it.. since unlike CRT, it's easy to ruin a LCD. Anyway.. yea.. I think older ppls love to poke the displays...

BTW.. be prepared a lot of iKlear around home or office.

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 01:24 PM

Touching a screen really gets on my nerves. I can't count how many times I've told my wife not to touch the screen, and she will claim "I don't" - but when you watch her point things out, she will get about 1/32" away from the screen. Why can't people point things out from an inch away? Why must they get so close that they leave only one atom's width between their finger and the screen?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 14, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
How the smelt like????
How did it smell like? I don't know, ask her.

swrate
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 02:55 PM

Strange question,
Mouse in the house, or touchpad.

We never touch the screen, I dont know anyone around me who touches screens, so I cannot answer.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 14, 2004, 02:59 PM

i ask people wtf their problem is when they touch it. it seriously makes me wanna go postal.
ice

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 03:15 PM

I've heard you can only clean a CRT so many times until some sort of coating comes off. I just never touch mine. There's no reason to.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I've heard you can only clean a CRT so many times until some sort of coating comes off. I just never touch mine. There's no reason to.
Uh oh...

I hit my monitor with a rock once, it was an accident. It left two small annoying scratches right on the bottom of the screen. Anyway, I didn't realize that they were scratches (or that the rock left the scratches) so I tried to wash them off. Now I feel like an idiot

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by macroy:
So you're sitting there in front of your system with someone discussing the contents of the document or a web page. Why do they have to actually make contact with the monitor when they point something out? As if I wouldn't see what they were refering to if that finger was a 1/2 inch further away?

Sorry - just had to vent after a 15 minute discussion with a co-worker on a document we're working on.
You're right, it is annoying. I hate greasy fingermarks on the screen, and there is no need to touch the screen. I mostly just tell people when I see them going for the screen, I tell them that it's hard to clean the monitor and I'd prefer if they didn't touch it. If they say they weren' going to, no harm done.

When I clean it takes me about 15 minutes to get it like I want it ... it's hard work.

DON'T TOUCH !!!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
I'd always get the - "your computer is white!" - then they'd rub the screen up and down because OS X is so cool looking I guess they just had to feel it.
LOL!!

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 05:13 PM

How did it smell like? I don't know, ask her.

Yikes.. that's a lot of cucumbers.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 06:24 PM

Mike
My monitor is not to be touched; usually. I have a terrible little sister that touches my iMac CRT Monitor. There are marks all over it. It is disgusting. She also thought it was hilarious to push the screen of my Hp Pavilion LCD. Thank God i caught her before I ended up with some damage. There are marks all over that too...

Hous68
Oct 14, 2004, 06:37 PM

If I have to explain something to you, you deserve fingerprints on your screen.

The number of fingerprints is inversely proportional to how simple the answer is/is to find online.
Peace. Love. MacOSX.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 06:47 PM

One of the most irritating things ever, is a friend of mine who HAS to poke my screeen to point at things, no he doesn't just touch it, he POKES it, and this is a friggin cinema dispaly

Yet he was yelling at his brother when I was at his house for touching his emac's screen. Shortly thereafter I bitched at him about what a bitch it is to clean an LCD and how some people like to poke it

Aloha

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 06:53 PM

try it yourself it feels good to touch!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

mac-kerouac
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 07:00 PM

Here is my suggestion for what should happen to people who touch the screen, especially if it is a LCD!

[Removed oversize inline image: read the inline image rules. --tooki]

busted finger
( Last edited by tooki; Oct 14, 2004 at 11:23 PM. )
iBook G4 12"/640/60/Combo/AE

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 07:57 PM

thanks for that nasty finger picture, now i gotta clean the puke off my screen.

I do web stuff for my dad's company and he is always touching my screen to point out how he wants stuff to be. He likes to draw the layout with finger grease smudges (just kidding... kinda)

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 08:43 PM

That is one nasty looking accident(?). I bet it scars real bad. Is that your finger?

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
thanks for that nasty finger picture, now i gotta clean the puke off my screen.

I do web stuff for my dad's company and he is always touching my screen to point out how he wants stuff to be. He likes to draw the layout with finger grease smudges (just kidding... kinda)
Tape up some transparencies?
Aloha

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 11:48 PM

what's a good way to clean a powerbook's lcd? People tend to crane their face in and talk into the monitor ( can you say spit spots .. eww) ... anyways ... i got little specks on my lcd now .. it doesnt bother me too much (not really visible most of the time but i never wanted to mess up my lcd ... i hate people who mess up my little book .. GRR!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2004, 11:49 PM

I use 409 to remove the greasy fingerprints. But 409 leaves a cloudy film, so I then I use Windex to do the final cleaning.

tooki

Cipher13
Oct 15, 2004, 01:48 AM

People know not to touch my monitor.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
People know not to touch my monitor.
I didn't. Glad you told me

-t

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 10:49 AM

I caught myself violating this cardinal rule last night.

In that case the answer was "Because I'm drunk, shut up it's my computer. No, I don't care if I was just eating chicken wings."
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Forum Links
Forum Rules