Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3 dilema - buy now or wait

PS3 dilema - buy now or wait
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 11:44 AM

Now that I've decided to take the plunge for the PS3, and seeing what the differences are between the 40gig and the 80gig, I'm ready to plunk down some $$

Here's my quandary that I'd like some folks to chime in on.
I found an 80gig PS3 for sale new for 499. I can buy that now or way till the middle of June in the hopes to buy the Metal Gear Solid edition for 499. That comes with the game, and the shock controller. From what I've been reading that it will be a limited edition, not sure how hard it will be to buy one.
So all things being equal, does it make sense to buy the 80gig now and forgo the special edition, AFAIK there's no changes to the hardware.

Thoughts/opinions

Thanks

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 11:50 AM

Special Edition machines aren't always sold out on Day One. There are still Ltd. Edition Halo 360's around.

Best thing to do is go to your local Gamestop and put a deposit on one if they'll let you.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 12:50 PM

Fair enough but is the delayed gratification of the special edition > the instant gratification of getting the 80gig now.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 12:53 PM

If the current one doesn't come with the shock controller, I'd wait.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 12:55 PM

Shock controllers are showing up in stores, says Engadget. If that's what's keeping you from getting one, just get the 80 GB and call around or order one online.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 01:30 PM

To be honest, it wasn't the desire for the special edition as much as getting the 80gig. They're pretty hard to find and so my only real option at the time was to wait, Now that I found a place to buy from, what's the advantage of waiting. I'm not really seeing any. I usually go by the mantra if you need something now, get it now, because there will always be a newer better product around the corner and don't get stuck waiting for the next best thing.

Yes, for 499 you get a little more, the shock controller and the game, but is the savings in the bundle outweighing the wait for 2 months?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 02:36 PM

Personally I'd wait. Unless you're dying to play a game right now, but I can't think of a PS3 exclusive game that is worth it. Waiting saves you over $100. That's enough for me.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

highstakes
Senior User
Apr 20, 2008, 12:54 PM

I'd wait and get the MGS edition PS3. I think they will make very few of those considering Konami released very few of the MGS3 Subsistence (or whichever the special edition MGS3 was).

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 04:52 PM

There are two MGS4 bundles. One is a limited edition with a gunmetal grey 40 GB PS3 and matching DualShock 3. The other one is probably not limited, but will be the standard bundle for the 80 GB configuration, since the previous 80 GB bundle is out of stock. The 80 GB MGS4 bundle will be the standard black hardware. The normal differences between the hardware configs still apply: 40 GB will be like the one out now, with no card reader, 2 USB ports, and no PS2 backward compatibility. The 80 will have 4x USB, multiple memory card slots, and will play most PS2 games.

Forum Links
Forum Rules